Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

Gutted its cancelled, so pleased for those who have tickets and they are rolled over, will be there hammering away for anyone that's wants to go in 2021

Personally just want to hear about whats happening to our volunteer places - and if they will be carried forward . on another note I now have 18 days holiday back.(and nothing to do with it ) - roll on the end of the summer when maybe we can all come out and its worth having leave :-)

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

@maelzoid @eFestivals Thanks for the explanation.  With the old and vulnerable on lockdown for 12 weeks would it not make sense for the fit and healthy to mingle now while they are shielded?  Would that not result in fewer hospitalisations than locking down everyone and then having everyone mix again at some point in the future?  

yeah that's the part I don't understand either :-(

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

we won't have full (80-ish% +) herd immunity by then, but a fair number will have had it so in theory there'll be far fewer people spreading around, and far fewer people able to catch it.

So even in the worst case scenario the impact on the NHS shouldn't be anywhere near as severe as it's going to be in the near future.

Plus, we will almost certainly have antivirals, more respirators and generally be much more able to tackle the thing.

29 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

@maelzoid @eFestivals Thanks for the explanation.  With the old and vulnerable on lockdown for 12 weeks would it not make sense for the fit and healthy to mingle now while they are shielded?  Would that not result in fewer hospitalisations than locking down everyone and then having everyone mix again at some point in the future?  

Not according to the models.  That was the government's plan when modelling the virus with influenza like properties, but once they plugged in the data from China + Italy, it turned out to kill far more people that way.  The under 70s are not immune, sadly.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Possesive apostrophe

3 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

that would still create too many cases right now. In Spain 40% of the detected cases are in hospital.

Just dropped the phone call to my fiancé that our wedding is officially cancelled/postponed/fallow

We were getting registered in quiet at home, in just our normal clothes on the Monday. 

Then we were having the ceremony at Glasto on the Saturday, she was vowing to wear her dress in as much mud as possible 😆

Shes upset , it’s not the end of the world, will be fine but what a grim phone call to have to make telling a girl her wedding is off 

Think this is the right call as much as it's heartbreaking. Media would have no doubt slammed them if they proceeded. Doesn't sound like the build of the festival was feasible too. Was a lot more down about this news last night, the red wine certainly helped and feeling a bit better today. So relieved the tickets are rolled over. Bring on 2021!!!

10 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I wonder how many of them are not in the vulnerable group.  Any idea?

no idea, sorry .... but Spain's numbers suggest that testing isn't very widespread (not as much as some other places) so it's quite possible only the more-severe cases are being tested which then leads to 40% being in hospital.

But to give that some perspective, that 40% is about 4,000 in number. The NHS only has 4,000 ICU beds as standard. 
(it's been said that UK critical care beds can be ramped up to around 15-20,000, but we'll have to see how that pans out in reality. For starters it means booting out many of the people currently in hospital, and lots [oldies] are in there because there's not the care available for them out of hospital).

18 minutes ago, Dannyjohn said:

So.... if I want to go in 2021, when does the full balance have to be paid?... (thinking of buying some furniture with my glasto mo ey to cheer myself up!)

I don't know for sure but I would guess April 2021. They are giving people until September this year to get their deposits back if they don't want to go in 2021 so I assume they'll do a normal October sale (£50 deposit) of all the returned tickets, with all balances due in the April before the festival as usual.

18 minutes ago, Waynolol said:

Just dropped the phone call to my fiancé that our wedding is officially cancelled/postponed/fallow

We were getting registered in quiet at home, in just our normal clothes on the Monday. 

Then we were having the ceremony at Glasto on the Saturday, she was vowing to wear her dress in as much mud as possible 😆

Shes upset , it’s not the end of the world, will be fine but what a grim phone call to have to make telling a girl her wedding is off 

I'm getting married the weekend before and Glasto was supposed to be our mini-moon.  Fingers crossed our wedding still goes ahead! 

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

I don't know for sure but I would guess April 2021. They are giving people until September this year to get their deposits back if they don't want to go in 2021 so I assume they'll do a normal October sale (£50 deposit) of all the returned tickets, with all balances due in the April before the festival as usual.

Yeah I'm struggling to understand how this gives us current non-holders much of a better chance. There'll be a load of coverage and probably way *less* chance than an April resale surely?

39 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I have a genuine question, please don't shout at me for being all negative or trying to scaremonger, I'm genuinely not I just need this explaining to me:

What will have changed by next year?  By all accounts a vaccine won't be available by then,  will it just be the fact that more people will have caught it by then and so built up immunity?  How is that going to happen if we're barely mixing with others?  I'm so confused, someone please reassure me! 

Less of this please, we can’t be thinking about anymore potential cancellations than this current one. 

I haven't been on here much recently. There have been a variety of personal reasons, but 1 of them has been - I couldn't see the festival being on.  Glastonbury is a massive part of lots of people's lives (myself included) but I didn't even check the line up out last week. It's been today that I have fully gone through it. The cancellation was inevitable. I am not sad today, if anything it was a bit of closure on it all. My mates were adamant, even up until today "it'll be on". I was a "pessimistic bastard" - but it was pretty obvious for the last fortnight really.

The economic landscape of the world could be incredibly different in 12 months, so £250 for a festival may not be viable for a lot of people. The world could look quite different when the next festival rolls around. It could well have been my last Glastonbury already, which is pretty upsetting to think about. I had decided 2020 was my last as I'd like to see a bit of the world and do other things. Over the last few months I have had a couple of personal issues that I am working through - and maybe it's time to hang up my festival walking boots for good now?

I am keeping my 2021 ticket valid, but I at this point don't think it'll be there.

The festival will be back though. Keep the faith!

1 minute ago, TheFullShaboo said:

So are we thinking that the majority of UK festivals this season will now follow suit and cancel regardless of what month? Our groups looking at booking another festival to compensate for Glasto but now its got us thinking that they may go the same way....

In thinking everything up to end of june cancels very soon. July/August will wait until end of april before following suit.

Just now, Boris said:

Yeah I'm struggling to understand how this gives us current non-holders much of a better chance. There'll be a load of coverage and probably way *less* chance than an April resale surely?

You’ll get a couple of resales I imagine, you’re gonna get a usual ticket day one of all the refunds asked for from people who can’t go next year (which will probably be a fair few), and then the usual resale next April. 

I have only just read the confirmation of the cancellation. I did not have a ticket secured but am pleased that those who did will have the option to roll the deposit over to 2021. For me that is the fairest decision. My heart truly goes out to everyone affected by this. Take care of yourselves, remain isolated when not required to be anywhere and keep safe x

2 minutes ago, Stevie P-alike said:

What are the chances of keeping Macca and the rest of the line up on board? knowing absolutely zero about the music business, it must almost be like starting all over again for Emily, I would guess.

I reckon now they’ve released it some may feel obliged to play next year? They did say though that the headliners were sorted for next year. I wonder if they will now have the real pyramid headliners on The Other stage that were promised for this year or will they just keep the headliners for 2021 for 2022, that’s obviously only if this years artists do it next year. 

6 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

You’ll get a couple of resales I imagine, you’re gonna get a usual ticket day one of all the refunds asked for from people who can’t go next year (which will probably be a fair few), and then the usual resale next April. 

Can’t see many people taking a refund in September if they’ve got until the usual April deadline to decide if they want to go. Other than making the refund the default option rather than the rollover, which would undoubtedly have caught lots of people out, asking anyone rolling over to pay the full balance before October was the main hope I was clinging on to for the October pot being a decent size. But ethically that was rightly never going to happen.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy