Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Let’s not. This year will be difficult enough financially for the Eavises and everyone else who relies on the fest financially, they don’t need their day-to-day livelihoods being ruined on top.

Ok let’s hope it doesn’t rain all year , either way 

29 minutes ago, Stevie P-alike said:

If you think about it, getting through for a ticket next year could be much, much easier. Assuming 120,000 people roll their tickets over, then in theory that's 120,000 fewer people trying to log on to Seetickets.

Should be an absolute doddle for all the ticket veterans out there

Not sure this works like that. Youre going to be reducing supply by a much larger proportion then you are reducing demand, thus making it harder to get get tickets. 

Was the next fallow year due in 2022? Hope this cancels out that one and we get a decent run of festivals.

My friends and I used to do "Brixtonbury" in our flat when we didn't get tickets. Set up stages live streaming in different rooms, drinking warm cider etc.

Seems like a good year for a repeat (possibly digitally!). Wanted: Internet based Glastonbury puns.

• Upvote 1

Really gutted and strange to think that it will be 4 years (last went in 2017) by the time I make it there.

But these things happen and i'm trying to put a spin on it that one of my best mates couldn't make this years, but might get ticket for 2021 in from whats left.

Gotta assume that things like Worthy View will take the same approach as the main festival?

4 minutes ago, jamie_90 said:

Was the next fallow year due in 2022? Hope this cancels out that one and we get a decent run of festivals.

2023, I think.

I think the wording of the cancellation - "this will be an enforced fallow year" - is about making clear to locals that 2020 counts as a fallow year, so the next fallow year should be (I think) 2026.

5 minutes ago, jamie_90 said:

2024, assuming they were planning to keep the same gap there was between the last two fallow years. Can’t see them wanting a third fallow year in six though if they can help it.

Just now, eFestivals said:

2023, I think.

I think the wording of the cancellation - "this will be an enforced fallow year" - is about making clear to locals that 2020 counts as a fallow year, so the next fallow year should be (I think) 2026.

That's how I read that subtext too.

26 minutes ago, Jimbojam said:

Very gutted as well, after creating the original thread 'Corona Virus - Should we be worried?' back in the beginning of Feb, it seemed the majority said it was impossible for it to be cancelled, but as weeks have gone on and things have got worse the unfortunate has come, let's just hope that not to many of us are affected by the virus itself and the effects on the economy as a result, see you all on the other side next year. 

I feel like everyone was just too presumptuous that it would be like SARS, in that it would largely be contained within Asia. But nobody outside there has really taken with the necessary need to police this thing, and here we are.

Honestly, if they couldn't do the background organising to prepare the site, I don't think they could've really had enough prep to make a festival happen. Its so shit but I guess there was no other option.

55 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yep, I think everything will go, to the end of July and beyond. I personally can't see any festivals happening this year - even in Sept and Oct. Just my opinion, of course.

It will interesting to see how End of the Road play things as they use the Deposit Scheme too except none of the Deposit is refundable if you cancel. Maybe they will rollover too. Will be less than chuffed if they don't offer any sort of refund. 

I haven’t caught up with all the comments but wanted to give my quick thoughts.

I am devastated that the festival has been cancelled but to see they are rolling over this years tickets to next is such a lovely, comforting thing for them to do. I love that the festival so much and this typifies why I do. I nearly cried when I saw I can go next year, in fact I probably will when I have time alone to process my thoughts.

I’m really sorry to anyone that doesn’t have tickets here I will try my absolute best to help anyone in future sales for 2021. I understand any anger towards this decision and towards my view.

Stay strong everyone, be kind and keep the Glastonbury spirit alive. 

• Upvote 2

The right decision given the current situation. And a good call to ensure all ticket holders rollover. I say that as a non-ticket holder. Hopefully me and the hubby will get tickets in the October resale (weird!) 

I know it’s shitty, I’ll reiterate what I’ve said previously. Remember to be kind, everyone’s emotions are valid. Social life is an important aspect of our mental wellbeing, Glastonbury is something many of us look forward to, so we can escape this mad old world. 

Look after one another, be kind and if anyone needs anything - speak up. Beyond all this madness, they’re will be pockets of positivity. And if anyone just needs a strange to chat to, send a PM. 

Much love fellow Glastonbury goers x

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

If the festival has any problems with finances due to this unprecedented cancellation then I am sure many with tickets guaranteed for 2021 would be happy to add an extra fifty quid to their deposits. Cash flow may be a cause for concern. 

Exactly - I would be very happy to do this. They could keep the £50 as a ticket holding fee, and then you pay your deposit again. Even if 100,000 out of the 130,000 were to rollover this would provide a kitty of £5 million to distribute to the charity's and anyone out of pocket so far.

With pretty much everything cancelled this year, no pubs, cinemas, no travel etc 2 things are guaranteed this year, divorce rates will go up as couples spend way too much time together, and birth rates will go up as couples spend too much time together with nothing much else to do.

4 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I have a genuine question, please don't shout at me for being all negative or trying to scaremonger, I'm genuinely not I just need this explaining to me:

What will have changed by next year?  By all accounts a vaccine won't be available by then,  will it just be the fact that more people will have caught it by then and so built up immunity?  How is that going to happen if we're barely mixing with others?  I'm so confused, someone please reassure me! 

There is absolutely no certainty that it will be over by 2021, but there's a decent chance that a vaccine will be rolling out in 12 months time. Herd immunity may well have been established by then too if a) enough people get it, and b) getting it once immunizes you.  Even with social distancing, people will still get it, but the idea is to greatly slow that spread so that the health services are not overwhelmed.

6 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I have a genuine question, please don't shout at me for being all negative or trying to scaremonger, I'm genuinely not I just need this explaining to me:

What will have changed by next year?  By all accounts a vaccine won't be available by then,  will it just be the fact that more people will have caught it by then and so built up immunity?  How is that going to happen if we're barely mixing with others?  I'm so confused, someone please reassure me! 

we won't have full (80-ish% +) herd immunity by then, but a fair number will have had it so in theory there'll be far fewer people spreading around, and far fewer people able to catch it.

So even in the worst case scenario the impact on the NHS shouldn't be anywhere near as severe as it's going to be in the near future.

13 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Exactly - I would be very happy to do this. They could keep the £50 as a ticket holding fee, and then you pay your deposit again. Even if 100,000 out of the 130,000 were to rollover this would provide a kitty of £5 million to distribute to the charity's and anyone out of pocket so far.

Sign me up 

• Upvote 1