Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

13 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Maybe the leaks were deliberate to soften the blow. To ‘flatten the curve’ of the fallout as it were...

I don't think so - Liz (Michael's wife) sent Juliet (his daughter who lives in Cornwall) a text to say it was cancelled. She put it up on Facebook and had to take it down as it hadn't been officially declared but she didn't realise at the time. 

1 minute ago, Slugworth said:

We are too. Non refundable campervan. £1900. 

if they won't refund, it's perhaps worth trying to talk them into charging a 'normal' fee for the time of year rather than the premium fee you've probably been charged cos its Glastonbury and there's high demand.

That's got to be worth a try, anyway.

Social distancing my arse.....

Managers just told us only "high risk" staff can work from home (and we'll be checking up that you are working), rest of us to work as normal but sanitise regularly. 

££££ still > common sense....

5 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Social distancing my arse.....

Managers just told us only "high risk" staff can work from home (and we'll be checking up that you are working), rest of us to work as normal but sanitise regularly. 

££££ still > common sense....

I’m going to be working from home for the foreseeable future. Most of the office are staying put. 

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they are. As are pubs, restaurants, cafes, all shops, etc, etc, etc.

Some pubs have shut, mostly because they're fearful of a community backlash. But mostly normal life continues as normal.

Slightly concerned, I have a sore throat that I didn't have when I woke up this morning, and I have a worsening cough (not a bad cough, but worse) ... it's most likely cos I've mostly swapped from the evil fags (the reason for the cough ;) ) to vaping in the last few days. My reaction to the sore throat? To make the evil choice. :rolleyes: 

I swapped to a vape 2 years ago after smoking 30 a day for nearly 35 years .  It gave me a sore throat and a headache for the first month and then switched to double menthol and have been fine since.

Still miss cigs especially the last few weeks but take each day as it comes 

11 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Unpopular opinion but one I agree with. Of the 5 Glastonbury's I've been to it is far and away my favourite headline slot.

The thing is, I don't think it's that unpopular...

If there is a consensus here it seems to be "Coldplay are an insipid band of lowest common denominator pop-rock and Chris Martin is annoying... but that headline set was magnificent!"

People seem fine holding the contradictory thoughts together in their heads...

44 minutes ago, jparx said:

Worried (as much as you can be in current context) that Taylor is one who can't reschedule to next year. She tends to have stuff planned quite far in advance - could see her having an something already pencilled in for 2021. 

From a selfish perspective, I had three Taylor shows booked for next year and I think all three will be cancelled. That said I am so overwhelmed by the current situation that I can't really get too upset at the moment. Still the Rep/1989/Red/Speak Now and Fearless tours are all available on Netflix or You tube so I'll console myself with those.

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they are. As are pubs, restaurants, cafes, all shops, etc, etc, etc.

Some pubs have shut, mostly because they're fearful of a community backlash. But mostly normal life continues as normal.

Slightly concerned, I have a sore throat that I didn't have when I woke up this morning, and I have a worsening cough (not a bad cough, but worse) ... it's most likely cos I've mostly swapped from the evil fags (the reason for the cough ;) ) to vaping in the last few days. My reaction to the sore throat? To make the evil choice. :rolleyes: 

More than likely the change from fags to vape. I had a persistent throat clearing cough prob when I starting vaping a couple of years back. Never coughed much when I smoked.

Tell you what though, never thought I'd get of the vape either until all the scary news the last couple of weeks. Sounds like we're going to need our lungs in some sort of half decent condition. Just wish I'd not smoked or vaped at all.

Just now, Hotchilidog said:

From a selfish perspective, I had three Taylor shows booked for next year and I think all three will be cancelled. That said I am so overwhelmed by the current situation that I can't really get too upset at the moment. Still the Rep/1989/Red/Speak Now and Fearless tours are all available on Netflix or You tube so I'll console myself with those.

Don't think I can watch them until we get confirmation what's happening with Taylor and Glastonbury next year. Sore wound 😂

• Upvote 1

I've been avoiding the news and just read this thread.  I haven't got tickets but was trying volunteering, resale etc.  I believe the posts are correct.  Sorry for everyone who had secured tickets.  It may be hard for us, but it must be awful for the Eavis family to cancel the 50th. X

17 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

We are too. Non refundable campervan. £1900. We had already changed it from a company who had gone bust. 

Im  trying to be optimisic and hoping that by then things may be slighly more relaxed. We live in a beautiful country and communities will need our support over the summer. If possible go somewhere you havent been before.  

IMG_20200318_100357.jpg

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if they won't refund, it's perhaps worth trying to talk them into charging a 'normal' fee for the time of year rather than the premium fee you've probably been charged cos its Glastonbury and there's high demand.

That’s an excellent shout 👍

Would be relying on some goodwill as you point out but hopefully not to late for them to rent it out to someone else.

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

If they are not willing to refund, I would hope the festival organisers would be willing to step in and potentially deny them the licensing to brand themselves as part of the festival, and more crucially deny them the guaranteed entry into the festival in the future.

31 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

I don't think so - Liz (Michael's wife) sent Juliet (his daughter who lives in Cornwall) a text to say it was cancelled. She put it up on Facebook and had to take it down as it hadn't been officially declared but she didn't realise at the time. 

I see. Thanks :)

1 hour ago, JezzaBelle said:

That's ME!!!

I'm listening to Coldplay :)

Chris Martin actually even stemmed the flow of my tears this morning and put a smile back on my face.

I sang really loud to Head Full of Dreams on my journey to work, and by the time I got here I had a massive smile on my face!! That's no mean feat considering I work in Emergency Services and times are hard out here!

What an amazing thing though, to light that little spark in a human and know it spread to a sunbeam shining from their face, all from the music you make.

Thank you Chris Martin, thank you Coldplay :)

56 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Yeah - I love them to.  I have to say I find the constant flak they get on here to be very tedious and one of the less attractive characteristics of this forum.  Everyone will never like the same music, but there are certain acts that get a really hard time because it seems cool to hate on them, and yet the reality is there are a lot of people on here that like them but feel they need to apologise for it 🤷‍♂️

As per @JezzaBelle I'm going to stick A Head Full of Dreams on now, as I know it will give me a lift from the gloom ... :music:

51 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Yes, I find myself sticking up for them on here more than I would normally just to counteract the negativity they get. But despite that negativity, just about everyone here who saw the '16 headline set concurs that it was great. For me, it was one of the best Glastonbury sets of all time.

It was the best live show I've ever been to. I've always been a fan of Coldplay and don't get the hate for their music at all. Everything about that was perfect, and A Head Full of Dreams is THE song that reminds me of Glastonbury and can take me right back there. Brings tears to my eyes every time. 

Then Charlie Brown as the first track in total darkness with the wristbands...incredible. 

Controversial again saying these in the same sentence but that and Blur 2009 are my two top gigs 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

A friend from Germany tells me everyone is panic buying cheese and sausages. It's the Wurst Käse scenario.

:P 

(shamelessly nicked from elsewhere)

Times like these it's infuriating we can't down vote you!