Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

Just now, Kinkyinuit said:

The only logical solution to this is to have a double glastonbury next year with the gates opening 5 days earlier.  I will not be taking any further questions on this matter.

So we get to stay for 10 days? :) I like the way you think :D 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

as you probably know, in the UK people have been told to stay away from pubs, restaurants, and to socially distance.

It ain't working, mainly. Not near me, anyhow.

Not near me either. 

It's not a nice thought but speaking to someone yesterday who made the point that these people who refuse to follow the guidelines... it's likely to take them losing someone close to them for them to actually pay any attention. Still far too many people with the "I'll be fine so..." attitude.

17 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

That's a bold post to make on these forums!

But kudos to you. I like Coldplay too.

Yeah - I love them to.  I have to say I find the constant flak they get on here to be very tedious and one of the less attractive characteristics of this forum.  Everyone will never like the same music, but there are certain acts that get a really hard time because it seems cool to hate on them, and yet the reality is there are a lot of people on here that like them but feel they need to apologise for it 🤷‍♂️

As per @JezzaBelle I'm going to stick A Head Full of Dreams on now, as I know it will give me a lift from the gloom ... :music:

Yeah I think what the masses really arent getting is that you're the most contagious before you show symptoms, which could be up to 14 days. 

That's honestly like nothing we've dealt with is up until this point, so people are treating it like a normal flu where you're contagious during but dont feel like going out anyways.

On the subject of social distancing...

I was in my local Morrison's yesterday. It was like end times in there - good to see that the crisis has changed things.

Anyway, the café attached to the supermarket was not only just about full, but it seems exclusively of people in the 70+ age group. JFC, WTF etc....

4 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

Announcement tomorrow? I can’t handle another day of this.

Seems mental after the leaks as well

My thoughts as well. As far as I know, they've known this was unfortunately going to be the case since Monday.

I wouldn't be shocked to see something later today, I guess they'll be wording the announcement very carefully so there isn't any confusion/doubt on any of it

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as you probably know, in the UK people have been told to stay away from pubs, restaurants, and to socially distance.

It ain't working, mainly. Not near me, anyhow.

I can’t speak for later in the night but considering yesterday was paddy’s day city centre seemed considerably less busy when I walked through after finishing work. I’m guessing more people will start to pay attention through the next few weeks after they’ve all had their final big booze ups/current plans.

1 hour ago, babyblade41 said:

Just hope you are feeling a little better this morning after the initial shock but unsurprising news from yesterday.

Hope we will have an announcement about what will happen moving forward soon .

We are in self isolation here and have been for the last week or more, OH has a major heart condition so keeping an eye out for him now .

My son in law will be on lock down from his employer from next week probably so everywhere is in turmoil .

I don't suppose anyone on here is from my area but if they are I have a food delivery shop tomorrow and can add items to it if need be and get anything majorly important to anyone at the weekend when my isolation comes to an end . Bit of a long shot but offer is there if necessary . 

Hope everyone is keeping well and continues to do so in the future .

Mothers Day will be from a distance for many this year .. I know I won't see my girls and grand children. My youngest is in isolation and my youngest grand child has health difficulties as he was a very premature baby and his 3rd birthday too this weekend 

All we can hang onto re: the festival is think how big and wonderful it will be next year and hope we are all lucky with tickets next time 

Where are you? PM me if you want. If you are northern then I will help.

Edit - Just read where you are. Thats a bit too far away from Manchester 😪

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

Unless the announcement is it being rearranged rather than cancelled as we're all expecting.

They could be making sure all their ducks are in a row with insurance 

Or

They could be trying to see if a new date is feasible. 

Im not saying it is feasible, but I think they're trying and that's why we havent heard yet. 

That Mitski song is stuck in my head....nobody, nobody, nobody,,,nobody knows nobody

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

My gut feeling is that September will never work. 

If Glastonbury was on an unused site that laid dormant all year round then yes it’s a possibility. However much of the land is borrowed for the duration of the festival from adjacent landowners with working farms. 

In my opinion that’s actually what would make it easier for them over most other festivals. Any borrowed land appears to just be grass. Much is always made of how the neighbouring farmers hold them to ransom with what they charge because they can, but also because they can’t develop the land or do much with it if Glastonbury want it every year. The only thing the land can therefore be used for is to graze livestock, which they manage to accommodate elsewhere during the festival. I’d imagine these farmers have multiple fields so they just shuffle them about. As the farmers can’t do much with the land I’d imagine they’d want the cash one way or another as an alternative.

All that said I don’t think it will be postponed, but I don’t think that would be the reason.

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Yeah - I love them to.  I have to say I find the constant flak they get on here to be very tedious and one of the less attractive characteristics of this forum.  Everyone will never like the same music, but there are certain acts that get a really hard time because it seems cool to hate on them, and yet the reality is there are a lot of people on here that like them but feel they need to apologise for it 🤷‍♂️

As per @JezzaBelle I'm going to stick A Head Full of Dreams on now, as I know it will give me a lift from the gloom ... :music:

Yes, I find myself sticking up for them on here more than I would normally just to counteract the negativity they get. But despite that negativity, just about everyone here who saw the '16 headline set concurs that it was great. For me, it was one of the best Glastonbury sets of all time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, circus92 said:

If somehow someway there is a 2020 festival I will never slag off Coldplay again!!

Wouldn't be the first time someone has "reckoned" that Eavis has told them something which is bollocks.

Wouldn't be the first time Eavis has personally talked bollocks either.

This is one of those times when there's no point asking the question because the answer doesn't exist 

12 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Someone said schools are still open though?

they are. As are pubs, restaurants, cafes, all shops, etc, etc, etc.

Some pubs have shut, mostly because they're fearful of a community backlash. But mostly normal life continues as normal.

Slightly concerned, I have a sore throat that I didn't have when I woke up this morning, and I have a worsening cough (not a bad cough, but worse) ... it's most likely cos I've mostly swapped from the evil fags (the reason for the cough ;) ) to vaping in the last few days. My reaction to the sore throat? To make the evil choice. :rolleyes: 

8 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Yes, I find myself sticking up for them on here more than I would normally just to counteract the negativity they get. But despite that negativity, just about everyone here who saw the '16 headline set concurs that it was great. For me, it was one of the best Glastonbury sets of all time.

It was brilliant indeed.

5 minutes ago, UEF said:

Wouldn't be the first time someone has "reckoned" that Eavis has told them something which is bollocks.

This is one of those times when there's no point asking the question because the answer doesn't exist 

So Michael has said it's off when really it's on?

7 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Already have that set pencilled in for watching on Saturday 27th June!  Won't be remotely the same as being there but its the best we can do in the circumstances.  Going to watch a classic set each night, and that will def be one of them.  Wait - think I have just had an idea for a thread!

5 minutes ago, UEF said:

Which Eavis are you talking about? The OP knows his eldest daughter who most of us have never even heard of, let alone know if they talk rubbish.

14 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Still baffled by this line of thought. There is no world in which it is fairer to give people who’ve never tried for tickets the same as those who bought in October and have been planning (& spending) on the basis they’d be attending. There’s a poster on here who’s due to be £2k out of pocket from a cancellation.

We are too. Non refundable campervan. £1900. We had already changed it from a company who had gone bust. 

12 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Unpopular opinion but one I agree with. Of the 5 Glastonbury's I've been to it is far and away my favourite headline slot.