Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Glastonbury is not important, festivals are not important. What is important is the rest of us doing everything we can to make life as easy as possible for the likes of yourself.

I understand people are disappointed. You are cleatly devastated yourself. But when you are going to be putting your life on the line and sacraficing god knows what else to help other people then it needs the rest of us to do whats required, to get through this as quickly as possible. If it means us all going into lockdown andd us all missing a festival then so be.

Now I appreciate I may be a little harsh on peoples emotions here and there is bound to be a lot of disappointed people. Yet people are going to lose loved ones and people are going to lose jobs. One persons life is not worth sacraficing so 150K people can dance in a field. There WILL be other festivals. Yet there might be people on this board who do not get to see their grand parents again.

Good look @bloom92 in what is lay ahead for you. I am scared for you and I am not on the frontline. Please jeep us updated on how you are getting on. If anyone deserves priority for Glastonbury 2021 it is the likes of yourself and the other emergency servicees who are going to take the brunt of the shit sorm that is heading our way.

That's a good point actually: I wonder if they could do some kind of priority tickets for medical staff who want to go as a kind of thank you? Hard to organise I'd guess, but would be a great gesture.

@bloom92 and other health workers, you are legends. Please know how grateful everyone is to you for the sacrifices you have had to make and all the hard work you put in under already difficult circumstances.

• Like 1

If they can I dont know why they wouldnt at least say postponed. It gives them approximately 2 more months of time before they have to put the money in and start the build. I wouldnt think they had anything to lose by buying them 2 more months. They could easily push the balance payment date 2 months and wait and see. Why not?

I'm not sure what kind of model you are following over there, but here in Canada the border is shutting down for 30 days, social distancing, etc. But those measures will likely only be for a MAX 2 months. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

In a strange way this thread has kinda cushioned the blow of an unexpected out of the blue announcement from the festival. It’s still awful, a shock etc but when we officially hear, I am now prepared for it. Keep safe everyone 

Having said that, it wouldn't have been out of the blue, given the wider circumstances.

46 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I think somebody (smorf? Can’t find his username on tag) posted quite late last night saying he spoke to somebody he knows from see tickets and they suggested they heard it was being postponed not cancelled.

Dont think much was made about it due to time it was posted and he never came back.

edit: @morph100 - fuck knows where I got smorf from

Haha close enough 

18 minutes ago, Piltonperson said:

It would be possible to use the land.in September as the land isn't used for growing crops and you can't put animals on the land as they could swallow metal or plastic. 

It’s a dairy farm, they graze cattle on it. One of the reasons for no glass and the litter pickers having a hard time picking up every single cigerette butt and nos canister. 

Boomtown is home to sheep most of the year 

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the modelling the govt are working from has a lock-down until mid-sept, and yup, cases would be under control then.

But that model also has cases at their very worst in November if the restrictions are removed in September - so I can't really see the restrictions being removed in September as that is what would cause the November high point.

I think it's possible that some restrictions might be lifted during the summer for a short-ish time, but I also think that things won't be back to normal and that we'll be aware that tight restrictions will come back into force.

Yeah that makes sense. 

Would obviously love a postponement but can't see it. Imagine the meeting this morning will be to thrash out whether to roll over tickets. Been looking forward to Galstonbury like everyone else and I'm really gutted. Everyone's plans have been hampered with this, so there's disappointment all round. 

Not gonna say where I've heard it from but from what I've been told..

That's it til 2021. They were trying for other dates (August mentioned) but for one reason or another, they aren't happening. I'm guessing purely due to how up in the air things are. Would look silly and be even more gutting if they rescheduled for August/September and the situation hasn't improved.

Artists (not sure if all or just some stages) have been offered the 2021 slots. There's already some who aren't able to do it but I'm not sure who that is. I'm assuming the intention is to go with the same lineup in 2021, because that would be the decent thing to do but naturally some artists won't commit to that.

No idea on an announcement, you'd think today logically 

Edited by mufcok

Just now, mufcok said:

Not gonna say where I've heard it from but from what I've been told..

That's it til 2021. They were trying for other dates (August mentioned) but for one reason or another, they aren't happening. I'm guessing purely due to how up in the air things are. Would look silly and be even more gutting if they rescheduled for August/September and the situation hasn't improved.

Artists (not sure if all or just some stages) have been offered the 2021 slots. There's already some who aren't able to do it but I'm not sure who that is.

No idea on an announcement, you'd think today logically 

If the artists are being offered the 2021 slots then you’d hope they’d do the same for the punters 

Just hope you are feeling a little better this morning after the initial shock but unsurprising news from yesterday.

Hope we will have an announcement about what will happen moving forward soon .

We are in self isolation here and have been for the last week or more, OH has a major heart condition so keeping an eye out for him now .

My son in law will be on lock down from his employer from next week probably so everywhere is in turmoil .

I don't suppose anyone on here is from my area but if they are I have a food delivery shop tomorrow and can add items to it if need be and get anything majorly important to anyone at the weekend when my isolation comes to an end . Bit of a long shot but offer is there if necessary . 

Hope everyone is keeping well and continues to do so in the future .

Mothers Day will be from a distance for many this year .. I know I won't see my girls and grand children. My youngest is in isolation and my youngest grand child has health difficulties as he was a very premature baby and his 3rd birthday too this weekend 

All we can hang onto re: the festival is think how big and wonderful it will be next year and hope we are all lucky with tickets next time 

13 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

If they can I dont know why they wouldnt at least say postponed. It gives them approximately 2 more months of time before they have to put the money in and start the build. I wouldnt think they had anything to lose by buying them 2 more months. They could easily push the balance payment date 2 months and wait and see. Why not?

they can only realistically announce a postponement if everything is on board for that new date.

Many of the suppliers will already have other stuff booked in, so just that part looks to be difficult.

13 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I'm not sure what kind of model you are following over there, but here in Canada the border is shutting down for 30 days, social distancing, etc. But those measures will likely only be for a MAX 2 months. 

the UK modelling is this (page 10 for the graphs):
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

That shows a lock down to September and a new higher peak in November.

From that model it looks like restrictions can be eased a little - but just a little - in the summer but will have to go tight again at the end of the summer.

As the data improves the model will change but I don't think there's much reason at the mo to think it'll change hugely. :( 

i have been reading everything on both threads over the last few days and finally come to the realisation its over for this year. Very sad. it was going to my nieces first festival and she had been really looking forward to it after coming of age and her dad agreeing ( finally) to let her go. She was really pumped, feel sorry for her mostly, as i have been seven time already. I was looking at possibly this also being my last at a ripe old age of 58. Things in my work life have turned sour after being made redundant and looking for a new job from May. With the outlook grim for a while even that looks a forlorn hope presently :( , i hope for some luck in that , think i'll need it with the economy going to take a dive. Everything is in the balance. I am also in the at risk group albeit i am fine presently. I really hope for a postponement for her sake, i will decide when and if it is decided whether to carry of my last festival, would have been nice to end it on the 50th though.

I feel worse today tbh. Think it's because it's just piled on top of everything else - can't go to the football, social activity shut down. Real impending doom with no end in sight. This really is the biggest kick in the balls to top it off

Will be interesting to see what portion of the lineup they manage to bring over to next year (especially the big hitters) and how that effects whatever plans they already had for 2021 (especially headliners). This years lineup was looking so good so really hope they manage to bring a lot of it over.

2021 is gonna be some festival. More than ever, there’s no way I can miss out on it.

Edited by FloorFiller