Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

Mmm. Weird one because mid September could be totally fine, but no one knows at this point. Must be easier to cut your losses now I imagine.

the modelling the govt are working from has a lock-down until mid-sept, and yup, cases would be under control then.

But that model also has cases at their very worst in November if the restrictions are removed in September - so I can't really see the restrictions being removed in September as that is what would cause the November high point.

I think it's possible that some restrictions might be lifted during the summer for a short-ish time, but I also think that things won't be back to normal and that we'll be aware that tight restrictions will come back into force.

12 hours ago, bloom92 said:

So sorry for you guys. I didn’t get a ticket this year but I feel your pain. I’m a doctor on the frontline unfortunately and it’s rumoured that we’re going to lose all our annual leave. Because I didn’t get tickets to Glasto, I planned for the resale but also booked my “once in a lifetime” holiday in July in case I was unsuccessful in the resale. A few weeks ago, they took away my leave for the Glasto weekend and now it looks like all of my leave this summer is gone too. It really really sucks. 

Glastonbury is not important, festivals are not important. What is important is the rest of us doing everything we can to make life as easy as possible for the likes of yourself.

I understand people are disappointed. You are cleatly devastated yourself. But when you are going to be putting your life on the line and sacraficing god knows what else to help other people then it needs the rest of us to do whats required, to get through this as quickly as possible. If it means us all going into lockdown andd us all missing a festival then so be.

Now I appreciate I may be a little harsh on peoples emotions here and there is bound to be a lot of disappointed people. Yet people are going to lose loved ones and people are going to lose jobs. One persons life is not worth sacraficing so 150K people can dance in a field. There WILL be other festivals. Yet there might be people on this board who do not get to see their grand parents again.

Good look @bloom92 in what is lay ahead for you. I am scared for you and I am not on the frontline. Please jeep us updated on how you are getting on. If anyone deserves priority for Glastonbury 2021 it is the likes of yourself and the other emergency servicees who are going to take the brunt of the shit sorm that is heading our way.

• Like 2

My gut feeling is that September will never work. 

If Glastonbury was on an unused site that laid dormant all year round then yes it’s a possibility. However much of the land is borrowed for the duration of the festival from adjacent landowners with working farms. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

My gut feeling is that September will never work. 

If Glastonbury was on an unused site that laid dormant all year round then yes it’s a possibility. However much of the land is borrowed for the duration of the festival from adjacent landowners with working farms. 

They get a nice pay cheque from the use of the land, which they might welcome regardless of the month.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've had an email overnight from someone I know, who Michael told a few days ago that they were looking to re-arrange for mid September.

I can only guess at what might be going on, and my guess is they were looking at that as a possibility but have given up on it. 

Amazing news! We can’t give up!

21 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've had an email overnight from someone I know, who Michael told a few days ago that they were looking to re-arrange for mid September.

I can only guess at what might be going on, and my guess is they were looking at that as a possibility but have given up on it. 

I have been asked to maintain strictest confidence...but I understand there is a pre-arranged meeting today. 

1 minute ago, Earth_pig said:

They get a nice pay cheque from the use of the land, which they might welcome regardless of the month.

It all depends on what the land is used for in the non summer months. Someone with more local knowledge should be able to inform us. 

9 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Yeah, but its not totally about the money. Theyre not dependent on It to survive for the rest of the year. Because if they were, then fallow years would show they would struggle. And yeah, the land isnt just always there to do whats needed.

Edited by Suprefan

5 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

I have been asked to maintain strictest confidence...but I understand there is a pre-arranged meeting today. 

Do you know whether that's to make any decisions? Or to decide on how to communicate decisions that have already been taken?

Edited by kalifire

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the modelling the govt are working from has a lock-down until mid-sept, and yup, cases would be under control then.

But that model also has cases at their very worst in November if the restrictions are removed in September - so I can't really see the restrictions being removed in September as that is what would cause the November high point.

I think it's possible that some restrictions might be lifted during the summer for a short-ish time, but I also think that things won't be back to normal and that we'll be aware that tight restrictions will come back into force.

Aye I was reading that arena events might not be back fully until November if not later.

There's still a chance, perhaps a decent one, that things will clear up much before then but I personally wouldn't be confident enough to reschedule an event as huge as Glastonbury to September.

8 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

We live in a two bed flat so there’s not a whole lot of distance keeping we can do. I’m going under the assumption there’s a high chance I could catch whatever it is. Just following the advice to isolate for 14 days. Thankfully neither of us have any underlying health issues. 

Keep well pal

It would be nice for them to do something though, even if it was just a slimmed down event for charity like the abbey extravaganza and Pilton party and later in the year. I wouldn't mind if I couldn't get tickets but be a shame, for the 50th to go unmarked.

Edited by Earth_pig

12 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Any reason to be excited or optimistic? Or just formalities around cancelling and deposits etc

edit: never mind, seen your above

Edited by Andy0808 v5

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It all depends on what the land is used for in the non summer months. Someone with more local knowledge should be able to inform us. 

It would be possible to use the land.in September as the land isn't used for growing crops and you can't put animals on the land as they could swallow metal or plastic. 

2 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Wimbledon still planning to go ahead, although that is probably easier to make a decision closer to the time if they need to pull it. 

It will probably be held behind closed doors or least have no general admission tickets available. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are some members of society who are still able to go. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

It will probably be held behind closed doors or least have no general admission tickets available. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are some members of society who are still able to go. 

It'll be Queen on one side of centre court and Cliff Richard on the other.

It's all about timing. If you could make the postponement call in late April/early May you'd have much more of a clearer picture on the situation in September.

Having to make that call now, versus outright cancellation, makes it clear cancellation is the way forward.

That being said if they do postpone I'll be back on the hype train!