Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

Just now, kalifire said:

Just a bit insensitive in this context. There’s more than one person here say they’re on antidepressants - who knows what losing Glasto hope might trigger. Hopefully nothing but it’s poor form to joke about the worst right now, I reckon. 

Hello kalifire,

I see what you say, and I understand and appreciate it. However, I don't necessarily think the same way. That said, I apologise if I did upset anybody, as that was never an intention. I just don't like being shackled by constraints, is all. 

The above said, I guess that somewhere along the line, I must be building in constraints. I might even be building a shed load of them. 

Talking of constraints, well it's Goodnight from him

Image result for blow up gimp suit

And it's Goodnight from me.

Only it actually isn't. That because we are all in the terrible position whereby I think I've got more to say on this site in the immediate future. 

5 minutes ago, dmedxb said:

Particularly as we live in a country that regularly sees 45-50c in the summer so we'll be shut indoors, one way or another, until pretty much September

As a former Abu Dhabi resident, feeling for you @dmedxb knowing what awaits. The pre-summer funk is bad enough, let alone it starting 3 months early.

3 minutes ago, Gregfc15 said:

As a former Abu Dhabi resident, feeling for you @dmedxb knowing what awaits. The pre-summer funk is bad enough, let alone it starting 3 months early.

Won't be much fun. We were going to spend a few days in Italy during the Eid holidays but obviously that's off too. It's fine, though. Like I said, bigger problems at the moment and there's plenty on our Netflix backlog!

32 minutes ago, uglyscotsman said:

Is the op trusted on this site? There is no official confirmation, this could just be made up BS

Theres enough people with Other sources that were able to confirm what the OP said. And yeah, theres no official announcement yet because theyre working on that. Before the poster dropped there was an indication hours before it occured that it was coming. Did you think that was also false, or you likely didnt even bother to chime in when that occurred. For now, somethings going to happen, its a matter of when and its pointing towards a certain outcome. So have some patience for the time being. Is that so difficult to muster  it at this moment? Do you need everything right this very second? Are you a 6 year old that is begging for a toastie from their mum? 

55 minutes ago, uglyscotsman said:

Is the op trusted on this site? There is no official confirmation, this could just be made up BS

Definitely, lives in the area, been a member of the forum a long time and posts very informative stuff, totally trust what they are saying. Also Neil, Efestivals himself, has said he's heard the news too from a very good source. 

I'm looking at it as nothing other than an impromptu fallow year.

Put yourselves in a positive frame of mind around the situation. There is nothing we can do / could've done ti predict this.

The most important thing now is to get through this tough period and then support the industries most affected.

We can support those smaller artists who were due to play the festival at their own gigs whenever they may start to gig again.

Depending on our situations we now have £220+ to use in a positive way on those directly impacted by the cancellation.

Stay strong x

Edited by JoeyT
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, uglyscotsman said:

Lol do you seriously think it might still go ahead. With all the stuff being cancelled, this going to be going on until mid summer there is zero chance glasto will happen. I have a ticket so not bitter. Yes the op is trusted

1 hour ago, dmedxb said:

Just going to add my own 'ouch' as a member of the international contingent. My wife and I were travelling back home to the UK for Glasto this year. Flights were booked (£800), glamping booked (£1,220 - please spare me your glamping opinions) and deposit+coach (£250) for a total of £2,270 outlaid so far. I hope we can defer all of that money until next year but let's see. 

I was due to depart for Japan next week, but decided not to go even with the serious risk of 100% financial loss. However - a few days before all this travel banning - I decided to offer a deferral until March 2021. I have to say both British Airways and Intrepid Tours were fantastic, agreeing 110% vouchers within 24 hours (I’m now rebooking as this ensures Atol protection whereas vouchers don’t)....perhaps you can try to do likewise? Hope this helps

2 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I was due to depart for Japan next week, but decided not to go even with the serious risk of 100% financial loss. However - a few days before all this travel banning - I decided to offer a deferral until March 2021. I have to say both British Airways and Intrepid Tours were fantastic, agreeing 110% vouchers within 24 hours (I’m now rebooking as this ensures Atol protection whereas vouchers don’t)....perhaps you can try to do likewise? Hope this helps

Thank you - thats comforting to hear. Our flights are with BA so happy to hear they've been good with you. 

With the flights, we'll likely still come back to the UK in June (if allowed) but the glamping was the thing I was most concerned about. Companies like that are so seasonally driven that I hope they can survive it. 

19 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep! It will hopefully mean the next ‘official’ fallow year isn’t for another several years now. Awesome.

Fallow years are based off the farming cycle, although the festival does more damage that a few mooers. Could move it back a year potentially. 

Apologies, haven’t read the entire thread but I think during the last week cancellation is the inevitable outcome.

The modern festival has a temporary hospital on-site - there’s no way medical staff can be asked to be pulled away from the front line for it (and I don’t think the festival would ask them).  Even if the peak is over by then these medical staff deserve a bloody break and a chance to de-traumatise. 

Let alone all of the other services etc.

Without effective ‘emergency’ services there can’t be a festival.

I hope it doesn’t financially impact everyone too much and it’s so sad this is what has to be.

A virtual Glasto 2020 - we can be inventive!! 

44 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Put yourselves in a positive frame of mind around the situation. There is nothing we can do / could've done ti predict this.

The most important thing now is to get through this tough period and then support the industries most affected.

We can support those smaller artists who were due to play the festival at their own gigs whenever they may start to gig again.

Depending on our situations we now have £220+ to use in a positive way on those directly impacted by the cancellation.

Stay strong x

This is a brilliant post. I’m gutted but there is a bigger picture. The positive is that I’ll have another 6-700 pound to put towards a holiday hopefully in September. My wife will be ready for one, she’s a sister in the operating theatre, so she’s going to have a rough time in the not too distant future. 

48 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Stay strong x

This 100%.

The festival will survive.

The artists at the top of the bill will be OK.

Support smaller bands and artists by booking their gig tickets when you can or buying their merch now.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I've had an email overnight from someone I know, who Michael told a few days ago that they were looking to re-arrange for mid September.

I can only guess at what might be going on, and my guess is they were looking at that as a possibility but have given up on it. 

With the current news of how long this all might last they probably thought it best to not bother going through all the trouble of rearranging only for them to have to pull the plug once again.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've had an email overnight from someone I know, who Michael told a few days ago that they were looking to re-arrange for mid September.

I can only guess at what might be going on, and my guess is they were looking at that as a possibility but have given up on it. 

I think somebody (smorf? Can’t find his username on tag) posted quite late last night saying he spoke to somebody he knows from see tickets and they suggested they heard it was being postponed not cancelled.

Dont think much was made about it due to time it was posted and he never came back.

edit: @morph100 - fuck knows where I got smorf from

Edited by Andy0808 v5