Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

Just now, Half Man Half Mattress said:

There’s no way they’ll hold on to deposits for a cancelled event. Will be a full refund. Best case scenario is those who have tickets for this year get first dibs on the next festival (whenever that may be...). Not entirely confident that will happen though. Could present some logistical problems for them for a start.

Of course I don’t think anyone is arguing a rollover would be completely automatic, the option of a refund would also be available. As for logistics, it’s just a case of gathering the successful registrations, pretty straightforward I’d imagine 

6 minutes ago, Half Man Half Mattress said:

There’s no way they’ll hold on to deposits for a cancelled event. Will be a full refund. Best case scenario is those who have tickets for this year get first dibs on the next festival (whenever that may be...). Not entirely confident that will happen though. Could present some logistical problems for them for a start.

Probably the best placed festival or event in the world to keep a track of who has a ticket already. Ridiculous to say it’s too difficult, they were about to send emails to ticket holders informing of when the balance is due so there is absolutely no difference. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sam W said:

As good as confirmed surely.

First this morning we had the Euronews correspondent (from Bristol) say he has double-sourced info that some volunteers/staff have had deposit refunds due to cancellation.

Then in the space of an hour tonight we've had cancellation confirmed by:
- A Facebook post, supposedly by the daughter of Michael Eavis
- An Instagram story, supposedly by his granddaughter
- Neil's unofficial sources
- Stagedoor FM's unofficial sources

And still no word from Glastonbury to quell the storm, coming on for three hours later....

maybe they turned their computers and phones off.

such stressful times for so many

Glastonbury have so many different sales with reg numbers linked to different things in different ways in each sale.

It would be extremely easy for them to do whatever they decide fit. Admin or logistics will not stand in the way of that.

Of course they don’t need to do anything, just like they don’t need to give millions to charity each year, or let us bring our own booze in... but they do.

6 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

It would be so easy to organise. Give a date to fill in a webform by to say you want to keep deposit. If you don't fill this in you get a refund. Sorted.

What if there’s no festival next year either? How long do they keep our money? I’m not saying this is likely of course but no one can guarantee anything just now, particularly with regards to the organisation of such a large event.

Edited by Half Man Half Mattress

A few sensible compromises have been suggested. We need to recognise the festival has a challenging decision to make and I’m confident they’ll strive to be as fair as possible.

Any merit to a time limited pre-sale where those with 2020 tickets can try to apply, say with a 10 minute limit, at 08:30 then general open to all at 09:00? It’s controllable with current systems, they already do this for certain guests, and a link is sent to current ticket holders 5 mins before to prevent others blocking the system by trying to get on (it only works with the pre selected ref numbers). Just a compromise 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

A huge part of the disappointment @Matt42 in these situations is the unfortunate, but inevitable and understandable resentment of those who are doing something you so desperately want to do. That it won't be like that with this scenario will make it easier. Nor will anyone be at another festival around that time, again making you feel left out.

I've taken a punt and, following tonight's news, have booked to go to Boomtown. Now, that may get pulled as well, but at least I now have something to look forward to, if it's meant to be. I realise, entirely, that I'm fortunate to be able to do that, but deposit/installment tickets are still available.

I love Glastonbury more than almost anything but, like many have commented on here, I'm surprisingly 'OK' about it...I work in the NHS and so am acutely aware of what is happening. I had resolved myself to Glastonbury not happening some time ago, making the disappointment just that bit easier to take...

This too shall pass.

Ben

Well it did for the good Mr Hanks, he was right.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

A few sensible compromises have been suggested. We need to recognise the festival has a challenging decision to make and I’m confident they’ll strive to be as fair as possible.

Any merit to a time limited pre-sale where those with 2020 tickets can try to apply, say with a 10 minute limit, at 08:30 then general open to all at 09:00? It’s controllable with current systems, they already do this for certain guests, and a link is sent to current ticket holders 5 mins before to prevent others blocking the system by trying to get on (it only works with the pre selected ref numbers). Just a compromise 

Seems like a compromise that doesn't make anyone happy.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Or people who are at risk or elderly could have chosen not to go? I work with ill people all day and am not allowed to choose not to go to work, along with my colleagues, we have to take the risk, but we would not go into work if we were at high risk category. The same could apply for a festival.

It's about bringing the virus closer to them, rather than directly infecting them at the festival that's the problem, surely you understand that?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I feel strangely ok about it all to be honest. Maybe it’s because this has been expected for a while or it’s because there are bigger things to worry about right now than a music festival, but this is a shit thing that is affecting the entire planet. There’ll be much worse happening to other people than us.

I’m the same as this but also telling myself at least I’ve got EOTR and Green Man....but have I?

31 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

The people who’ve bought tickets every year for (in my case) well over a decade and in the case of others many more? Yes they do. There is plenty of goodwill towards the festival but they’d be especially unwise to do anything to damage that in these now unprecedented times.

When emily and michael have gone on record stating that they don’t take for granted that it sells out instantly and that theyre only one incident away from insecurity or not selling out - this *is* that incident!! Potential economic ruin is just around the corner. They’d be insane to piss off 2020 ticket holders by not giving preference for 2021

You're forgetting all the hundreds of thousands of people who will ble glad they have a chance of going next year.

Glastonbury 2021 will sell out in minutes no matter what, especially because of how much hype the cancellation will create. I think people will have higher expectations of next year than they had of the 50th anniversary.

1 minute ago, Winslow Leach said:

I think people are letting their imaginations run away with them. If/when it’s cancelled, you’ll be getting a refund and trying again in October with everyone else I’m afraid.

100% this. You’re a customer not their best mate, 

The only way fair is to let/give 2020 TICKET HOLDERS either the option of securing a ticket for next year with the £50 we have already paid or giving us back our £50 but letting us have first dibs on tickets for next year. I hear this crap about upsetting people trying in October but that's not my problem.  I have a ticket and as such I was successful in buying tickets so why should I possibly lose out.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5