Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

Cancelled? postponed until next year? Swapping the 2021 festival with the 2025 festival and giving 2020 ticket holders first refusal on 2025?

They're all the same thing, it's semantics.

What we're talking about here is what's fair, and even my friends without tickets agree it's fairest to roll over tickets to those that are already emotionally and financially invested in this year.

Plus, it makes sense for the festival to have sold next year's tickets already (*)

* Unless some quirk of their insurance means that they have to cancel to claim, in which case they call it cancelling but offer people the chance to get tickets first to a completely separate event. Again, semantics.

Casual bit of hope, maybe not for here, bit for life...

Cases fell in China, Italy, South Korea and Iran today for the first time. I really reckon the upswing will be shorter here than in Italy and this could be a low rent issue sooner than we think. Especially as unprecedentedly rapid advances are being made in vaccine development and treatments. 

Keep the faith.

Also, Germany - nearly five times more cases than us, a third of the deaths. Might be worth getting a ticket for Hurricane. They're brilliant, aren't they??

Just now, Keithy said:

I'd quite happily pay my full balance now if it carried over to 2021 and gave the Eavii money in the bank + interest to help them through this year and support some of the infrastructure crew.

Same, in fact my ideal outcome would be the opportunity to pay the balance now to reserve a place for 2021. Would have forgotten a bout it by then and would feel like a free ticket! 

4 minutes ago, JoshM87 said:

Assuming this is true you’d think the fairest way to handle it is to retain the deposit (with the option of a refund,) and offer a ticket to 2021 with the remaining balance to be paid at some point between now and then, perhaps not quite as late as April? 

I don’t think you can really be asking for full payment for a festival which presumably doesn’t have permission to go ahead as yet. 

I'm not suggesting they expect people to pay now, I'm saying if it's an option I would do instantly.

2 minutes ago, MoilyX said:

Sounds reasonable. Maybe have a daily limit on downvotes but unlimited upvotes, to help promote positivity?

is that possible, @eFestivals?

I like that idea :)

Just now, zahidf said:

This does feel like people saying liverpool shouldnt win the league. The fair thing to do is obvious

I'm also a Liverpool fan!

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

I'd quite happily pay my full balance now if it carried over to 2021 and gave the Eavii money in the bank + interest to help them through this year and support some of the infrastructure crew.

The new interest rate isn't going to stretch very far but I guess every little helps and would be quite happy to pay my balance now. 

As good as confirmed surely.

First this morning we had the Euronews correspondent (from Bristol) say he has double-sourced info that some volunteers/staff have had deposit refunds due to cancellation.

Then in the space of an hour tonight we've had cancellation confirmed by:
- A Facebook post, supposedly by the daughter of Michael Eavis
- An Instagram story, supposedly by his granddaughter
- Neil's unofficial sources
- Stagedoor FM's unofficial sources

And still no word from Glastonbury to quell the storm, coming on for three hours later....

2 hours ago, MoilyX said:

I can only hope that the rains in Pilton over June 24-28th are so biblical that it makes 2007 and 2016 seem like they were held in a dustbowl.

The rain gods/law of averages (*delete as appropriate, depending on your beliefs) can then spare 2021 and onwards to the next fallow year.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Cancelled? postponed until next year? Swapping the 2021 festival with the 2025 festival and giving 2020 ticket holders first refusal on 2025?

They're all the same thing, it's semantics.

What we're talking about here is what's fair, and even my friends without tickets agree it's fairest to roll over tickets to those that are already emotionally and financially invested in this year.

Plus, it makes sense for the festival to have sold next year's tickets already (*)

* Unless some quirk of their insurance means that they have to cancel to claim, in which case they call it cancelling but offer people the chance to get tickets first to a completely separate event. Again, semantics.

I think the rule of thumb is if you postpone you carry all tickets over unless those individual person wants a refund.Cancel and you have to refund everyone

There’s no way they’ll hold on to deposits for a cancelled event. Will be a full refund. Best case scenario is those who have tickets for this year get first dibs on the next festival (whenever that may be...). Not entirely confident that will happen though. Could present some logistical problems for them for a start.