Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

1 minute ago, al_coholic said:

I think legally no one has actually bought a ticket as yet. You have paid a "deposit" on a ticket for Glastonbury 2020 but not "bought" because the payment window has not opened and the transaction ahs not been completed. As Glastonbury 2020 does not exist anymore they will more than likely have to refund as they have not been able to fulfill the original contract and they would not want to open themselves up to legal challenges. Also how could they keep the deposit money for something purchased in good faith when the contract has been cancelled. What if they keep the deposit of someone who wants to go now and in 2021 but subsequently can't go what do they do with the potential interest they have earned. 

But I might be wrong. 

Legal challenges from who?

2 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

I think legally no one has actually bought a ticket as yet. You have paid a "deposit" on a ticket for Glastonbury 2020 but not "bought" because the payment window has not opened and the transaction ahs not been completed. As Glastonbury 2020 does not exist anymore they will more than likely have to refund as they have not been able to fulfill the original contract and they would not want to open themselves up to legal challenges. Also how could they keep the deposit money for something purchased in good faith when the contract has been cancelled. What if they keep the deposit of someone who wants to go now and in 2021 but subsequently can't go what do they do with the potential interest they have earned. 

But I might be wrong. 

All they’d say is “you have the option to refund or we can use that money to secure you for 2021”. 

That’s what the Euros did today.

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The best way would be to hold deposits until next April. I don’t know if I’ll be able to attend next year. I still probably won’t know in October this year but I will have a better idea if I can go on not by next April. If I can’t go then at least my ticket can go back in the pot at that point. 

I really feel this would be the fair way about it, I liked Bennys idea which is basically this one but gives the option to pay off the balance for 2021 this April still. I would still pay in heartbeat.

Crazy how something so expected can still be so devastating.

I happened to be attending a wedding yesterday not far from the site, so this morning I decided to cure my hangover by paying a visit. After weeks of waiting for them to confirm the inevitable, it’s pretty surreal to have it confirmed tonight.

I popped into the Ridge & Furrow on my travels, but it seems now I was 15 months early for the meet-up. Take care of yourselves out there, you beautiful lot. x

0C6BFEB0-7FF9-40E4-940F-A0635CDB56C5.jpeg

If this is true it’s a real kick in the teeth. Between flights, train and coach tickets I’ve already invested almost a thousand dollars into this festival before paying the balance. If tickets don’t roll over to next year then it would just add insult to injury. I know its not GFL’s fault, but how they handle this cancellation  will make or break them. 

Considering a lot of airlines and ferry companies are waiving fees for changing flights I think it would be great if they offered people with tickets for 2020 to roll them over we could just then change our flights to 2021 with minimal loss of money.

Would be a kick in the teeth to loose your ticket and then try and fail in October and then have to cancel your ferry or plane ticket that you changed to Glastonbury 2021 

Just now, padraig61091 said:

Considering a lot of airlines and ferry companies are waiving fees for changing flights I think it would be great if they offered people with tickets for 2020 to roll them over we could just then change our flights to 2021 with minimal loss of money.

Would be a kick in the teeth to loose your ticket and then try and fail in October and then have to cancel your ferry or plane ticket that you changed to Glastonbury 2021 

THIS

1 minute ago, Ragingbunion93 said:

If this is true it’s a real kick in the teeth. Between flights, train and coach tickets I’ve already invested almost a thousand dollars into this festival before paying the balance. If tickets don’t roll over to next year then it would just add insult to injury. I know its not GFL’s fault, but how they handle this cancellation  will make or break them. 

This is why I’m inclined to think they will give the option to roll over. Whilst it’s not their fault they are the type of festival to want to be fair to people, especially those that have shelled out as much as people like yourself.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I really feel this would be the fair way about it, I liked Bennys idea which is basically this one but gives the option to pay off the balance for 2021 this April still. I would still pay in heartbeat.

I don’t even mind paying the full balance now as long as there is the option to refund next year. I don’t want to hold on to a spot that someone else can have if I’m not able to go. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t even mind paying the full balance now as long as there is the option to refund next year. I don’t want to hold on to a spot that someone else can have if I’m not able to go. 

In that case I'm sure you'd still be able to get a refund up until May 2021, it would basically be a normal cycle by that stage.

1 minute ago, MoilyX said:

Can anyone explain why there's a limit on upvotes/downvotes?  

Not sure on the exact reason but there have been some troll accounts that have been downvoting people over the last few weeks so if they weren’t limited per day then some of us would be on about -500 by now!

Assuming this is true you’d think the fairest way to handle it is to retain the deposit (with the option of a refund,) and offer a ticket to 2021 with the remaining balance to be paid at some point between now and then, perhaps not quite as late as April? 

I don’t think you can really be asking for full payment for a festival which presumably doesn’t have permission to go ahead as yet. 

11 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

They don't have to keep anybody sweet.

The people who’ve bought tickets every year for (in my case) well over a decade and in the case of others many more? Yes they do. There is plenty of goodwill towards the festival but they’d be especially unwise to do anything to damage that in these now unprecedented times. 

When emily and michael have gone on record stating that they don’t take for granted that it sells out instantly and that theyre only one incident away from insecurity or not selling out - this *is* that incident!! Potential economic ruin is just around the corner. They’d be insane to piss off 2020 ticket holders by not giving preference for 2021

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Not sure on the exact reason but there have been some troll accounts that have been downvoting people over the last few weeks so if they weren’t limited per day then some of us would be on about -500 by now!

Sounds reasonable. Maybe have a daily limit on downvotes but unlimited upvotes, to help promote positivity?

is that possible, @eFestivals?

I would be a lot happier if, when they do make the announcement, they use word along the lines of "the 50th Anniversary will be postponed until 2021" that would then suggest tickets are rolled over. A cancellation would suggest a refund.