Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

1 minute ago, StoneCircle said:

Thanks for your kind words! So sad not to be there this year, even though I was going as an Oxfam volunteer at least I was going at one stage. :girlsad:

Don’t think I was doubting your integrity either earlier. I was just looking for any possibility that the news was false or faked. 

5 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

It's impossible. Most of the bands – particularly higher up – are on album and touring cycles that would finish well before next year's festival season. Financially it's not worth them to agree to do it next year when they're not touring elsewhere, considering Glastonbury always pays lower fees than other festivals as well.

In ordinary circumstances yes. But pretty much every acts tours are going to complete shit and won’t happen anyway. A lot will be classed as postponements so will be rescheduled at some point. I’d wager most acts tours will be binned of pretty much in entirety, this year will a write off and try again next year.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Quick note to think carefully when coming to post things like "yes it's sad but it's just a festival" and "we will all have bigger things to worry about soon". Yes, for myself and for most people here, while it's gutting, there are people going to be going through a lot worse. But for some with anxiety and other issues, something like this can be a big blow to mental health, which is obviously closely linked to personal wellbeing, so let's not forget you never know the personal circumstances of the person behind the screen, and there is no need to belittle anyone's emotions. We're all on this forum because we love this festival so let's keep it positive.

Edited by leonaves
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 16

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

Whoa there people...I know someone on Mendip Council who says they have heard nothing and as far as they know no decision has yet been made.

She is messaging someone.......

I guess that sounds hopeful, but then again I don't really think Glastonbury need to give MDC a heads up. Having a licence doesn't oblige the festival to happen.

1 minute ago, leonaves said:

Quick note to think carefully when coming to post things like "yes it's sad but it's just a festival" and "we will all have bigger things to worry about soon". Yes in for myself and for most people here, while it's gutting, there are people going to be going through a lot worse. But for some with anxiety and other issues, something like this can be a big blow to mental health, which is obviously closely linked to personal wellbeing, so let's not forget you never know the personal circumstances of the person behind the screen, and there is no need to belittle anyone's emotions. We're all on this forum because we love this festival so let's keep it positive.

Thank you. Grief gatekeeping doesn't achieve anything. My heart is legit broken.

For what it's worth my entire Summer break from work this year was centred around a trip to Rome for Euro 2020, followed by Glastonbury the week after - two full weeks off work with football and music. I completely agree with the decision here and absolutely think it is the right thing, but it sure feels like everything I've been looking for in 2020 has been ripped away in the space of days. Absolutely gutted.

Edited by Brownie30

1 minute ago, leonaves said:

But for some with anxiety and other issues, something like this can be a big blow to mental health, which is obviously closely linked to personal wellbeing, so let's not forget you never know the personal circumstances of the person behind the screen, and there is no need to belittle anyone's emotions.

This.

2 minutes ago, leonaves said:

Quick note to think carefully when coming to post things like "yes it's sad but it's just a festival" and "we will all have bigger things to worry about soon". Yes in for myself and for most people here, while it's gutting, there are people going to be going through a lot worse. But for some with anxiety and other issues, something like this can be a big blow to mental health, which is obviously closely linked to personal wellbeing, so let's not forget you never know the personal circumstances of the person behind the screen, and there is no need to belittle anyone's emotions. We're all on this forum because we love this festival so let's keep it positive.

It has killed mine. I work 48 hours a week and Glastonbury is what gets me through each day.

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

1. Normal balance window in April for anyone happy/able to pay off their balance

2. No October 2020 sales

3. All other ticket holders held over to April balance window in 2021 (give masses of time to sort balance for those struggling)

4. Normal back into pot of any tickets unpaid for after 2021 balance window

5. Normal 2021 resale

With their IT infrastructure that is just not difficult and, arguably, the 'fairest' way to do it.

Ben

Sounds pretty spot on with what they can do.

Emily had the best intention of giving everyone something good within all of this chaos when the poster came out. I would believe she isn’t going to take everyone’s ticket now to break spirits even more. If they did, October would either be the most difficult onsale theyve ever had or the easiest because nobody has trust any event will carry on in the future.

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Emily had the best intention of giving everyone something good within all of this chaos when the poster came out. I would believe she isn’t going to take everyone’s ticket now to break spirits even more. If they did, October would either be the most difficult onsale theyve ever had or the easiest because nobody has trust any event will carry on in the future.

It would just seem to be the most un-Glasto thing ever to take people’s tickets. 

4 minutes ago, leonaves said:

Well said indeed.

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

The cancellation of the festival took people's tickets. And I really don't know how you get to people losing trust and not going out of protest against not being guaranteed a ticket for a year they don't hold a ticket for that might not even go ahead amidst current uncertainties.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I guess that sounds hopeful, but then again I don't really think Glastonbury need to give MDC a heads up. Having a licence doesn't oblige the festival to happen.

I run events and if we were cancelling the last person I’d tell would be the county council. 

27 minutes ago, Waynolol said:

Another one that I have no idea about,

I have a very excited 11 year old that was coming to Glastonbury ,  next year he will be 12, so he’ll need a ticket - but obviously didn’t get him one. 

It’s small in the grand scheme of things but what a mess 

If he was going to be 11 this year he would be ok next year as it is 12 and unders who are free. I on the other hand have a 12 year old daughter who didn't need a ticket to come with me and my son this year but would need one aged 13 next year.