Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

I may be biased but I’d like to think I’d say this if I didn’t have tickets. Every other festival seems to be carrying tickets over, even the ones that aren’t postponing but are outright cancelling. 

There are arguments for both sides but I think they’ll come down on the side of carrying them over. Maybe via a priority window a week before general sale in October.

I would say the main hope is because they’ve announced the lineup, that this “festival” will be postponed until next year,

They will want to avoid completely wiping the lineup and starting again I would imagine. 

8 minutes ago, Waynolol said:

Another one that I have no idea about,

I have a very excited 11 year old that was coming to Glastonbury ,  next year he will be 12, so he’ll need a ticket - but obviously didn’t get him one. 

It’s small in the grand scheme of things but what a mess 

Good point! But easily solvable if they do choose to roll tickets—increase free age to 12 for next year only.

Edited by leonaves

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I believe Glasto have built up a contingency fund in the last decade or so - plus they should be able to claim on insurance now - so they shouldn't be in dire financial straits.

I'm not sure paying in full now is a good plan. It preferences the people who can afford to have money tied up for a year, and in a time when huge numbers are losing their jobs.

Looking at it another way they would have spent that money going to this year's fest so it's not tied up for a year really. If someone doesn't want to use the money to guarantee a ticket for 2021 they can get their deposit back and chance their arm again in October.

For me, everyone wins. Not sure GFL will go with that option, though.

I think everyone that gets the opportunity to go next year should really work together to make it THE best festival (even though we know this is already the case)  im gutted for myself and for the family! Must be gutting to plan all year to be cancelled like this, without taking in the fact it’s the 50th!!! 😫

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Is there any hope left!? I’m begging for some, I’ll be devastated if this is true.

Please let my positivity be for something! 

Well the June festival was never going to happen, but if they are having a meeting tomorrow there must be something to discuss so maybe they're thinking about September?

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I feel like crying, not because of Glastonbury, but because the whole thing is fucking terrifying. 

I did watching the press conference yesterday. It's like everything we take for granted as part of normal life has been turned upside down.

Genuinely gutted for you all. Can just imagine how I'd feel if I had tickets. Devastating.

I'm so worried about the impact of this whole thing on the people I love and the country as a whole. Anxiety through the roof :(

14 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

Where have they said that?? My email clearly says that I will still get priority next year If my festivals are cancelled??? 

Yeah ,I thought my email said my Oxfam place was reserved for 2021 aswell ?

• Upvote 1

1. Normal balance window in April for anyone happy/able to pay off their balance

2. No October 2020 sales

3. All other ticket holders held over to April balance window in 2021 (give masses of time to sort balance for those struggling)

4. Normal back into pot of any tickets unpaid for after 2021 balance window

5. Normal 2021 resale

With their IT infrastructure that is just not difficult and, arguably, the 'fairest' way to do it.

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Waynolol said:

I would say the main hope is because they’ve announced the lineup, that this “festival” will be postponed until next year,

They will want to avoid completely wiping the lineup and starting again I would imagine. 

It's impossible. Most of the bands – particularly higher up – are on album and touring cycles that would finish well before next year's festival season. Financially it's not worth them to agree to do it next year when they're not touring elsewhere, considering Glastonbury always pays lower fees than other festivals as well.

19 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

Where have they said that?? My email clearly says that I will still get priority next year If my festivals are cancelled??? 

You will get priority next year which is totally diffrent to carrying over your place for this year

the normal priority rules will still apply and cancelled festivals will count towards priority, 

Edited by DeadAmos

Just now, jannybruck said:

It's impossible. Most of the bands – particularly higher up – are on album and touring cycles that would finish well before next year's festival season. Financially it's not worth them to agree to do it next year when they're not touring elsewhere, considering Glastonbury always pays lower fees than other festivals as well.

I think the assumption would be that a lot of tours are likely going to be pushed until at the earliest autumn, but possibly next spring anyway. 

7 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I can totally vouch for Stone circle. We stayed in the same campsite night before last year. She knows everyone. Totally legit. Skipped a few pages to write this so sorry if I missed any apologies. 

Thanks for your kind words! So sad not to be there this year, even though I was going as an Oxfam volunteer at least I was going at one stage. :girlsad:

• Like 1

I'd be equally devastated with a rescheduled date. I'd never get the time off work.

Not sure why people are slating others for feeling deflated though. This festival means everything to me. I've never been one for holidays or going abroad often so this was technically my annual break away. I work all year and so many factors have to align for me to be on the farm from time off work, family health, gaining a ticket. To have it snatched from us in such cruel circumstances that are completely out of our hands is devastating.

Just now, parsonjack said:

Whoa there people...I know someone on Mendip Council who says they have heard nothing and as far as they know no decision has yet been made.

She is messaging someone.......

😂😂😂 what a rollercoaster! I guess they would announce before informing councils etc anyway. I dunno how it would all work, it’s unprecedented!

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm guessing they'll want to co-ordinate an announcement with the beeb and Guardian, so I'm sat here thinking there might be something at 7pm.

Called it!

53 minutes ago, leonaves said:

7pm x

Edited by leonaves