Glastonbury 2020 Cancelled - I am sorry to be the bearer of this news.

StoneCircle

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I believe Glasto have built up a contingency fund in the last decade or so - plus they should be able to claim on insurance now - so they shouldn't be in dire financial straits.

I'm not sure paying in full now is a good plan. It preferences the people who can afford to have money tied up for a year, and in a time when huge numbers are losing their jobs.

Actually - great point. What are your views on how they will deal with tickets? Know this is unprecedented territory.

7 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I just feel Emily will say “we want to be fair to all”

Fair to all is fair by honouring those who have ticket reservations and wish to have them carried forward.

There will be full cancellations by those who don't want to or who can't commit to 2021, thus leaving many more tickets available in the 'new sale' of unalotted tickets.

7 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

The guy from Fyre Festival, who'd do what was necessary...

7 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

Hes from the fyre festival documentary. He declared quite honestly that he was prepared to suck an individuals dick in Hope's of saving the festival.

8 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

He sucked off some government official, so they would release bottles of water held at customs for Fyre festival. (That’s the crude way to answer)

edit: stand corrected, he didn’t do it.

What a slut. He did not even want to go on a date first. Have to admire him for getting straight to the point though.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I believe Glasto have built up a contingency fund in the last decade or so - plus they should be able to claim on insurance now - so they shouldn't be in dire financial straits.

I'm not sure paying in full now is a good plan. It preferences the people who can afford to have money tied up for a year, and in a time when huge numbers are losing their jobs.

I think I’m inclined to agree about paying a full balance in April, although I’m sure I and many others would.

I would like to think tickets will be carried over, or a system to give a priority or something to 2020 ticket holders. 

4 minutes ago, Superscally said:

If he's touring next year, he's in. He's that kinda guy.

I agree, I feel like his European dates this summer were all based around playing Glastonbury anyway. I don't blame if he decides to not tour next summer though if things haven't fully settled down by then.

2 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Gutted about McCartney too. Though I think the lineup will end up staying fairly similar due to most tours getting cancelled, probably throughout this whole year. 

Next year will still be a “big one” for the festival, maybe even bigger than ever now.

Yeah this year being cancelled is absolutely heartbreaking but can’t help but feel that next year will feel incredibly triumphant. Will probably cry upon arriving on site.

1 minute ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Actually - great point. What are your views on how they will deal with tickets? Know this is unprecedented territory.

Each individual should have the right to choose whether to get a refund or to pay the full ticket value now ready for 2021.

I had savings put by if I'd have been lucky.

1 minute ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I think their first preference will be to refund the deposits, but if their finances aren't as strong as i'm assuming then I guess they'll roll the deposits over.

But I'm guessing on the basis of very little, really.

Just now, eFestivals said:

I think their first preference will be to refund the deposits, but if their finances aren't as strong as i'm assuming then I guess they'll roll the deposits over.

But I'm guessing on the basis of very little, really.

Tbf £50 means nothing at times like these - would even donate it to the festival/music industry to help keep it afloat. Do you think priority for 2021 will go to existing holders? I am inclined to think not because "technically" c.870,000 people lose out and have to wait 3 years for a shot.

8 minutes ago, JezzaBelle said:

Mate, I'm not far away, and would fully join you if I wasn't emergency services on duty very early in the morning!

With you in spirit 🙂

Yeah would love that.  Its surprising but I dont visit the site as much as I should.  I love going to Glasto and have been every year for 22 years.  

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah this year being cancelled is absolutely heartbreaking but can’t help but feel that next year will feel incredibly triumphant. Will probably cry upon arriving on site.

Just getting out of the shit that we're in and going back to normal life will feel incredibly triumphant. Being able to go to gigs, cinemas, bars, work, etc. We might have a lot of these moments.

1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

If they dont give people the option to take a 2021 ticket in some form that's really a punch to the face. 

I just don't agree here. We got tickets to 2020. It's brutally sad that we won't be going in 2020 but it doesn't give us the right to tickets the year after and I don't think Glastonbury owes it us either. It might be the wrong time to go on about that because we're all pretty gutted but I think expectations may need to be lowered.

I may be biased but I’d like to think I’d say this if I didn’t have tickets. Every other festival seems to be carrying tickets over, even the ones that aren’t postponing but are outright cancelling. 

There are arguments for both sides but I think they’ll come down on the side of carrying them over. Maybe via a priority window a week before general sale in October.

2 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Tbf £50 means nothing at times like these - would even donate it to the festival/music industry to help keep it afloat. Do you think priority for 2021 will go to existing holders? I am inclined to think not because "technically" c.870,000 people lose out and have to wait 3 years for a shot.

Sorry but that's how it goes.  If tickets were easily available I'd be up for starting again in October BUT they aren't and I at the moment have a ticket and feel this should be honoured for next year.  Why should I go back into the pot.

1 hour ago, StoneCircle said:

Yes I am, I have no reason to believe it's untrue and I am devastated like everyone else.

I can totally vouch for Stone circle. We stayed in the same campsite night before last year. She knows everyone. Totally legit. Skipped a few pages to write this so sorry if I missed any apologies. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, dentalplan said:

Just getting out of the shit that we're in and going back to normal life will feel incredibly triumphant. Being able to go to gigs, cinemas, bars, work, etc. We might have a lot of these moments.

I just don't agree here. We got tickets to 2020. It's brutally sad that we won't be going in 2020 but it doesn't give us the right to tickets the year after and I don't think Glastonbury owes it us either. It might be the wrong time to go on about that because we're all pretty gutted but I think expectations may need to be lowered.

No chance WE have tickets.  I would be livid to have to say ok I'll have my £50 back and oh yeah I might not get a ticket for years to come.  I take the approach that every Glasto could be my last but that changes when I get/got a ticket

Three years of trying, this year I even cancelled another festival so I could stay home and try on my home internet. I would REALLY love to actually get to go. I know we all deserve to go, but like, I already feel physically hurt by this news (not that anyone is in the wrong to do it), having my ticket taken away would be devastating.