Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

29 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Someone in our office is saying Boris Johnson has taken a £25,000 backhander from insurance companies not to close pubs and restaurants?

Only £25k? That wouldn’t even cover his coke bill. £25 million is probably closer to the mark. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Completely agree.

I guess this is the problem with social media in real time. People are constantly seeing things and reacting, often it isn’t true or the real situation. Not only that but actual news outlets are also all over social media and to be honest, they’re loving the current situation, stirring it all up hourly. You could make anything seem incredibly scary by running some of the articles people are choosing to at the moment.

We have dealt with something similar before (swine flu) but this is the first time with this level of online social interaction. To be honest I think it is absolutely hindering how people are dealing with it. You’ve got a live televised address from government, up against clips on Twitter of Caprice arguing with a scientist on Jeremy Vine. 

I’ve no doubt this is serious but we will get through it. 

wasnt' Caprice right?

Happy to continue with the updates if people are interested. It looks pretty likely that Glastonbury won't go ahead in my opinion so there probably isn't a great deal of point of reading them in terms of that but some people might still want them to get a good overall idea of what is happening around the world. 

Today's update:

• East Asia: Probably not as bad as yesterday on the whole. As expected, China fell below 10,000 cases (9,148) but there is a bit of a worry that cases from Europe, etc will see their numbers rise again in a similar way to other East Asian countries. South Korea fell by around 100 (7,108) which is further good news. There has also been some talk that they are having good success with an existing drug (Chloroquine and other similar variants) hence why their death rate is so low (just under 1%). Japan's cases also fell by 6 (667). The worry in East Asia now seems to be with Malaysia who saw another sharp increase of 138 (524). Elsewhere, there were expected increases amongst most other countries in the region.
  • Middle East: Same old story with Iran, continued increases at a pretty standard rate. Up to 9,142 cases now but on top of that have had nearly 5,000 recoveries and 900 deaths. However elsewhere in the region there was nothing too worrying in terms of daily increases. Qatar's previous jump over the weekend was met with a smaller jump yesterday but it still has the second most cases after Iran in the region.
  • Europe: No sign of Italy slowing down much as they jumped by just under 3,000 cases (23,073). Germany saw an increase of around 1,400 (7,188) and Spain's increase was over 2,000 (9,070). France increased by around 1,200 (6,473). However, there were a few increases that were a little lower than I expected. Sweden, Norway and Switzerland in  particular. Switzerland only grew by 125 (2,307), Sweden by 85 (1,113) and Norway by 91 (1,343). These were all done without announcing many (if any) recoveries which is encouraging. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain these sort of growth figures. UK increased by exactly 100 (1,436) after announcing a good few more recoveries and Ireland saw its first recoveries too (216).
  • Africa: Pretty much the same as yesterday's report in that there are a few more countries infected, but at this point no country is too badly affected. There are now a lot of countries with infections, but the majority have single figure infections.
  • South America: After the continent's first recovery over the weekend, more countries announced their first recoveries as well. Chile saw their cases double (155) in the biggest surprise on the continent. Brazil still lead the way in terms of cases but only grew by 33 (232).
  • North & Central America: Central America's growth was nothing out of the ordinary and no overly worrying countries at this point. Canada grew by 97 (426) and USA by 866 (4,559).
  • Rest of the World: Pakistan saw a large jump in their cases, up 130 in total (181). Elsewhere Russia and India saw some growth but nothing unexpected. New Zealand remain on 8 cases and Australia only grew by 80 (351).

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Someone in our office is saying Boris Johnson has taken a £25,000 backhander from insurance companies not to close pubs and restaurants?

That's 10% of 'chicken feed' to him.

27 minutes ago, Smeble said:

it seems to be make shit up about boris Johnson day.

Cool, I've fuck all better to be doing..

According to the Imperial College research upon which Boris is basing his strategy:

"The modelling projected that if the UK did nothing, 81% of people would be infected and 510,000 would die from coronavirus by August.

The mitigation strategy is better, but would still result in about 250,000 deaths and completely overwhelm intensive care in the NHS."

7.9m people would require hospitalisation, so I was wrong - not all of them would die without hospitalisation - my mistake - sorry.

Either way saying fuck it, let's get infected now would bump off half a million.

4 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Happy to continue with the updates if people are interested. It looks pretty likely that Glastonbury won't go ahead in my opinion so there probably isn't a great deal of point of reading them in terms of that but some people might still want them to get a good overall idea of what is happening around the world. 

Today's update:

• East Asia: Probably not as bad as yesterday on the whole. As expected, China fell below 10,000 cases (9,148) but there is a bit of a worry that cases from Europe, etc will see their numbers rise again in a similar way to other East Asian countries. South Korea fell by around 100 (7,108) which is further good news. There has also been some talk that they are having good success with an existing drug (Chloroquine and other similar variants) hence why their death rate is so low (just under 1%). Japan's cases also fell by 6 (667). The worry in East Asia now seems to be with Malaysia who saw another sharp increase of 138 (524). Elsewhere, there were expected increases amongst most other countries in the region.
  • Middle East: Same old story with Iran, continued increases at a pretty standard rate. Up to 9,142 cases now but on top of that have had nearly 5,000 recoveries and 900 deaths. However elsewhere in the region there was nothing too worrying in terms of daily increases. Qatar's previous jump over the weekend was met with a smaller jump yesterday but it still has the second most cases after Iran in the region.
  • Europe: No sign of Italy slowing down much as they jumped by just under 3,000 cases (23,073). Germany saw an increase of around 1,400 (7,188) and Spain's increase was over 2,000 (9,070). France increased by around 1,200 (6,473). However, there were a few increases that were a little lower than I expected. Sweden, Norway and Switzerland in  particular. Switzerland only grew by 125 (2,307), Sweden by 85 (1,113) and Norway by 91 (1,343). These were all done without announcing many (if any) recoveries which is encouraging. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain these sort of growth figures. UK increased by exactly 100 (1,436) after announcing a good few more recoveries and Ireland saw its first recoveries too (216).
  • Africa: Pretty much the same as yesterday's report in that there are a few more countries infected, but at this point no country is too badly affected. There are now a lot of countries with infections, but the majority have single figure infections.
  • South America: After the continent's first recovery over the weekend, more countries announced their first recoveries as well. Chile saw their cases double (155) in the biggest surprise on the continent. Brazil still lead the way in terms of cases but only grew by 33 (232).
  • North & Central America: Central America's growth was nothing out of the ordinary and no overly worrying countries at this point. Canada grew by 97 (426) and USA by 866 (4,559).
  • Rest of the World: Pakistan saw a large jump in their cases, up 130 in total (181). Elsewhere Russia and India saw some growth but nothing unexpected. New Zealand remain on 8 cases and Australia only grew by 80 (351).

Not sure how much to trust number of cases unless know how many are being tested.

The way more likely scenario than Johnson receiving bungs or protecting Banks (which is a fucking bonkers theory) is that the government has done a risk assessment on the impact of the insurance industry collapsing vs however many thousand events and hospitality based SMEs going bust. We have no idea what the evidence base looks like behind this,  but that is what they will be contending with. I imagine there'll be measures  shortly that will clarify government will help those smaller firms that buckling under all this. 

This situation is guaranteeing terrible choices on so many fronts, spreading uninformed conspiracy theories is doing no-one any favours. 

4 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

According to the Imperial College research upon which Boris is basing his strategy:

"The modelling projected that if the UK did nothing, 81% of people would be infected and 510,000 would die from coronavirus by August.

The mitigation strategy is better, but would still result in about 250,000 deaths and completely overwhelm intensive care in the NHS."

7.9m people would require hospitalisation, so I was wrong - not all of them would die without hospitalisation - my mistake - sorry.

Either way saying fuck it, let's get infected now would bump off half a million.

Having been so confident in their modelling, it's not doing much to maintain faith that they are wholesale changing strategy based on a report released over the last couple of days. But I'd really urge people to stop repeating the idea that the institutions of the country (it is NOT just government) are somehow so callous and ruthless as to be comfortable with the potential deaths of hundreds of thousands. It pushes us further and further into conspiracy land, in which nothing is true anymore and everything has some pernicious agenda. 

There is plenty of reasons to be angry at Tory leadership failure right now,  as well as the chickens coming home to roost for a decade of NHS, social service and local government underfunding. But however ideologically compromised they are, none of them will shrugging their shoulders over this or ambivalent about the  human costs that will arise. It is pretty much any politicians worst nightmare. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Henrik said:

Yeah, it's unbelievable.

We are in this together. This is not the time for political point scoring ffs 

Where have you been for the past 10 years???? If you believe the Tories have actually cared about those less fortunate than them you are seriously deluded. Johnson and his cronies don't care about what's happening, it's all about minimising the financial impact of the crisis and if a few people die, hey that's natural selection. Isn't Cummings a strong believer in Eugenics? Not political point scoring, Reality. 

Edited by HastingsBoy
  • Upvote 1

anyone who thinks Glastonbury is going ahead this year is completely deluded. 

Like many others my life revolves around going to live music events and festivals I've done nearly 70 since 1999, . but this pandemic is so severe that even if we are out of self isolation the economic disaster that awaits us will see to it anyway.

Whatever happens at least (for now) we have this forum to keep in contact with each other.

Do you think this crisis can be segmented like that? The elderly and SME business owners are the bedrocks of their vote. And on a personal level, each one of those politicians are going to have loved ones who are at risk from this. Some of them will be themselves. 

They've made stupid, short sighted, counter productive policy decisions that has reduced our readiness for this. But they aren't genocidal maniacs. This is a human tragedy waiting to play out for all of us. 

4 minutes ago, HastingsBoy said:

Where have you been for the past 10 years???? If you believe the Tories have actually cared about those less fortunate than them you are seriously deluded. Johnson and his cronies don't care about what's happening, it's all about minimising the financial impact of the crisis and if a few people die, hey that's natural selection. Isn't Cummings a strong believer in Eugenics? Not political point scoring, Reality. 

Jesus Christ! 

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah does seem a bit misguided to give a ‘Here’s how great this year was gonna be’ taster when it seemed pretty clear all of this was on the horizon, or at least was a very realistic eventuality. Fair enough they wanted to continue business as usual until told otherwise, but surely they could’ve delayed the poster release a few weeks/month instead of dangling what will never be in front of our eyes. The poster excitement got drowned out almost immediately.

Mostly by this (and the other extremely similarly themed) fucking threads.

13 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I thought people had stopped blurting this out now? Is quite aggressive and completely unhelpful. 

Please can you explain how its 'unhelpful' ? this is a discussion forum not for you to tell me what i should and shouldn't say just because it suits you.

2 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Please can you explain how its 'unhelpful' ? this is a discussion forum not for you to tell me what i should and shouldn't say just because it suits you.

Your opinion that it's not going ahead is fine. Calling people 'deluded' just makes you sound like a bit of a dick. It's definitely unhelpful.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Your opinion that it's not going ahead is fine. Calling people 'deluded' just makes you sound like a bit of a dick. It's definitely unhelpful.

I'm speaking broadly not specifically to people here!

I'm not going to argue further!