Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

15 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Think this is a bit of a red herring for potential summer festivals at the mo. The grand national is in two weeks time which is directly over the current measures from government.

I know Glastonbury is a huge undertaking, but I do think people are forgetting it is still three months away, things could be a whole lot different in a week or a month (for better or worse). 

A decision won’t be made until they absolutely have to, and right now they don’t, however bleak it may look.

Now being reported measures expected to be in place for 5  months

27 minutes ago, Homer said:

This is a reassuring read. How China's recovery shows us it probably won't be as bad as many fear:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-is-coronavirus-receding-in-china-

Whilst I’d love this to be true it just doesn’t fit with everything everybody else has been saying about how bad it is/will get etc.

I suppose it’s possible that governments and the media want to make us shit ourselves as much as possible so we take it seriously, and then when it’s not as bad as anyone made out it’s a nice bonus.

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

That's the longest end of the curve according to the Americans, who also mentioned that they are talking with UK government.  US is maybe a week or less behind us on the curve and we're perhaps 3 weeks behind Italy.  They have said that it could not that it will.

8 minutes ago, Lycra said:

“Measures” could be any degree of things. Even if lots of things get cancelled, in a couple of months there might just be advice to stay isolated if ill etc. 

Currently in the “could go either way” camp, same as last time. 

Its important to remember that nothing that’s been announced so far hasn’t been expected. Some people are reacting to announcements like they can’t have been planned for, but the poster and statement of intent arrived after the WHO declared a pandemic, and Emily has previously said they have a plan of action for that. 

It’s over three months away. There’s still time to wait for signs that these measures may be working. Still time for the government to update their strategy. Still time before the build starts. 

I know it doesn’t look likely. But I’m not prepared to write it off. If it does happen, it’ll be like no other Glastonbury before it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

Still feeling grim, spent all day in bed, talking to my son online apparently lots of folk in my town have same symptoms over this weekend.  A mate dropped 2 weeks worth of catfood on the doorstep for me, so I'm sorted to wait it out.  I'd not panic bought or anything, but I'm one of those people who makes big batches of meals and freezes them and has 5kg of rice in the house anyway.  I'm sure it will be fine, thanks :)  I've got a half ounce of weed, half a dozen tabs of military grade acid and a gaming PC, should be ok to pass the time productively.

Get well soon pal

Do traders have to pay their pitch fee in advance of balance payment week, then? If so, that surely increases the chance of an imminent announcement from the Festival.

I really can’t see them saying nothing further when people are starting to put proper money down. Even if they’re still pressing on uncertainly, that needs to be communicated. 

https://www.facebook.com/208559300603/posts/10163481694420604/?vh=e&d=n

I love that man so much.

I’m not sure if there’s a better way to embed that clip from FB.

I’m very weird but that has made me strangely emotional watching that. Maybe it’s because he gave me the best moment of my life last summer at Glasto and I know that he’s literally in this all together with us. I truly believe that Glasto will be the first event after the worst of this, the event where we can start to recover and begin to move on.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

Interesting they mention postponement. Wonder if they're just chatting or that's something that's been mooted behind the scenes?

My thoughts exactly! I’m happy for a postponement I’d rather that than wait a year, we’ve not long had a fallow year and it’s my 30th 😫

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is going to go on for a lot longer than a few months.

This is what people aren’t grasping. Right now things are shut down short term. It can’t continue like this as it would mean severe economic and mental ruin. 

There’s some very tough weeks ahead but life has to carry on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

Still feeling grim, spent all day in bed, talking to my son online apparently lots of folk in my town have same symptoms over this weekend.  A mate dropped 2 weeks worth of catfood on the doorstep for me, so I'm sorted to wait it out.  I'd not panic bought or anything, but I'm one of those people who makes big batches of meals and freezes them and has 5kg of rice in the house anyway.  I'm sure it will be fine, thanks :)  I've got a half ounce of weed, half a dozen tabs of military grade acid and a gaming PC, should be ok to pass the time productively.

Shit don’t eat too much of that cat food it’s gonna make u  really ill ... seriously though all the best for a quick recovery cf 

Edited by crazyfool1

28 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Really good. Very friendly. Best small festival I know. Not nearly as much choice as Glastonbury of course, scale down your expectations 

Thanks! Will have a look. Does it usually sell out? Wondering how quickly I might need to buy a ticket even with all this going on!

More good news: Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are out of hospital. Basically, they felt like they had a cold for a few days then recovered. They are both 63. He has diabetes, which in theory means he's more at risk too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-australia-hospital-a9405471.html

Edited by Homer

40 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Whilst I’d love this to be true it just doesn’t fit with everything everybody else has been saying about how bad it is/will get etc.

I suppose it’s possible that governments and the media want to make us shit ourselves as much as possible so we take it seriously, and then when it’s not as bad as anyone made out it’s a nice bonus.

Literally, so that the people who bulked bought toilet paper use it.