Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

56 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

not sure if it was one of you but saw a positive one on twitter yesterday saying glasto would be the phoenix rising from the ashes to be the first event post-covid19, a nice thought anyway!

Not necessarily, its been reported that the government models are predicting the virus to continue for upto 18 months. If their model is to be believed they think that once the initial spread of the virus slows down due to social distancing once those measures are taken out of the equation we'll see another rise in cases as the country as a whole wont have built up the  collective immunity to the virus. 

Id take the news reports with a pinch of salt but I've also got people in the high risk category in my family.  My wifes immune system at the moment is non existent due to her being diagnosed with Graves disease so cant take any chances. Ive already cancelled stag weekends in June and wont be going to gyms, exercise classes etc, my kids have been pulled out of their after school clubs. 

Has anyone mentioned that Michael Eavis himself is in the high risk demographic yet loves strolling around the festival, opens certain gates to the first wave of festival goers, id hate that the thing he loves the most could mess with his health if he caught the virus. 

6 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Ah, 7.9m dead v. economic impact - one for the slide rules.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

is that what it would be, 7.9mill dead in UK?

Of course not. Why do people insist on throwing around outrageous comments as if they're facts?

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

The ruling class and rich folk, that only care to serve themselves and their mates.

What counts as rich? More money than you? Or more money than you think they should have? And who is going to pay the tax they will no longer be paying? So who will run the country once you kill all the politicians? You? Won’t you then be the unelected elite?

1 minute ago, MetaKate said:

I dont see the point of exaggerating in a situation where the majority of people are already terrified and the reality of the situation is bad enough! 

Completely agree.

I guess this is the problem with social media in real time. People are constantly seeing things and reacting, often it isn’t true or the real situation. Not only that but actual news outlets are also all over social media and to be honest, they’re loving the current situation, stirring it all up hourly. You could make anything seem incredibly scary by running some of the articles people are choosing to at the moment.

We have dealt with something similar before (swine flu) but this is the first time with this level of online social interaction. To be honest I think it is absolutely hindering how people are dealing with it. You’ve got a live televised address from government, up against clips on Twitter of Caprice arguing with a scientist on Jeremy Vine. 

I’ve no doubt this is serious but we will get through it. 

• Upvote 1

This from a mate who lives in Madrid (replying to an email I sent about what is going on here)

Glad to hear that they are waking up to what's going on and changing strategy.

Just got back from supermarket. Very impressed with how they are handling it.

Limited opening hours but well organised. Clear plastic screens set up infront of all checkout staff,

floors all marked out with minimum 1.5m lines in queues, everyone in gloves and masks, one in - one out

on the door and all the basics + fresh fruit / veg / meat / fish available. Panic buying seens to have stopped now. First time I've been outside since friday morning.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Back to a Glastonbury topic, why do we think Emily released the poster last week when this was foreseeable?

I imagine that even with a cancellation that the plan would be to give us as close to that lineup as possible next time around. I doubt they'd cancel  a lineup with McCartney, Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar and replace them with someone like the 1975, Kasabian and Duran Duran or whatever next years lineup would've been. I'm guessing the vast majority of those on the poster will be there whenever Glastonbury next opens the gates.

2 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

Still waiting for them to cancel the Sam fender show on the 26th ally pally, leaving it quite late for those who have to travel.

Honestly this giving people a decision thing is ridiculous. If it's on, it should be empty or the whole social distancing is pointless.

Nobody should be relying on the government to specifically forbid them from travelling to or attending a gig, it shouldn't even be a question right now.

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

What counts as rich? More money than you? Or more money than you think they should have? And who is going to pay the tax they will no longer be paying? So who will run the country once you kill all the politicians? You? Won’t you then be the unelected elite?

"who is going to pay the tax they will no longer be paying"

Loving Every Laugh

By rich I mean like the super rich, those who don't need more money, and could easily give most of it away and still be loaded. But instead they continue to amass more wealth because they are greedy bastards. Also, I don't mean all politicians. Just the corrupt selfserving ones.

15 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I dont see the point of exaggerating in a situation where the majority of people are already terrified and the reality of the situation is bad enough! 

Upvoted for your comments in general over the last couple of days, measured and informative, difficult in these trying times. Kudos due.

20 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Someone in our office is saying Boris Johnson has taken a £25,000 backhander from insurance companies not to close pubs and restaurants?

Not exactly.

He gave a 1 hour speech to the British Insurance Brokers Association last year for which he was paid over £25,000. Declared in register of interests (along with Citibank, and other banking and asset management firms - totalling over £650,000).