Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

those insurers insure themselves - at Lloyds of London

And Lloyds is backed by 'Lloyds names' - deep pocketed people (mostly from the UK) who have to dig into their own pockets to cover any losses by Lloyds.

Exactly.

A quick Google of 'Lloyds Names' and 'Lloyds Crash' will explain BJ's motives.

47 minutes ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Back to a Glastonbury topic, why do we think Emily released the poster last week when this was foreseeable?

I think it was reasonable to assume at that stage there was still a chance, albeit very tight, of the worst being over by June. It’s only the last few days the prospect of many months of virus infection. I’m sure the decision was difficult to make and as said done with the best intentions.

I also expect they will now cancel within a few days.

10 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Tube still very busy, no chance of social distance, apparently going to be a reduced service so will just been more people crammed into less trains.

Just commuted into Oxford from a nearby town - seemed like any other day to me.

13 minutes ago, ivan said:

The comment about him protecting insurance companies , implying it would help him.

I would be very wary of taking an individual opinion posted on social media as fact. The UK is a democracy and government has to abide by UK law. I suspect at present it does not have powers to close businesses, events, sports etc that operate to the letter of UK law. It can only advise. This could very well change if the emergency bill being proposed to parliament grants the government additional powers.

Additionally, none of Joe Public are party to any insurance contracts businesses and events may have. And where they exist, they may or may not cover the evolving situation. It will all be in the T's & C's of the contract.

I’m sure I saw this in one of the other threads but there’s no way I’m going through them all :lol: 

Back in Jan we booked our honeymoon (haven’t booked flights yet) to Mexico in September. Stupidly didn’t buy travel insurance at the time. Hoping this should all be a lot better by the but just incase - am I likely to be able to get insurance to cover the virus or is it likely to be excluded from policies now? If it is included what kind of term is it I need to look for being in there?

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I’m sure I saw this in one of the other threads but there’s no way I’m going through them all :lol: 

Back in Jan we booked our honeymoon (haven’t booked flights yet) to Mexico in September. Stupidly didn’t buy travel insurance at the time. Hoping this should all be a lot better by the but just incase - am I likely to be able to get insurance to cover the virus or is it likely to be excluded from policies now? If it is included what kind of term is it I need to look for being in there?

You can’t insure against something you already know about 

7 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Probably not. From my travel insurance (bought well before this virus was a thing):

Screenshot_20200317-141434.png

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

not a chance.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You can’t insure against something you already know about 

Yeah I figured this might be the case. Although it looks like it may not have been included anyway based on this: 

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Probably not. From my travel insurance (bought well before this virus was a thing):

Screenshot_20200317-141434.png

Might get on to ClubMed and see if I can move it back. Although considering they said any cancellation or amendment comes with a charge or 75% of the full trip I won’t hold my breath 

Edited by DareToDibble

5 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Yeah I figured this might be the case. Although it looks like it may not have been included anyway based on this: 

Might get on to ClubMed and see if I can move it back. Although considering they said any cancellation or amendment comes with a charge or 75% of the full trip I won’t hold my breath 

Good luck 🤞

As far as I can make out the Goldfrapp tour, due to start next week, is still going ahead.... I’m due to see them next Friday (27th) but with the Scottish ban on gatherings of 500+ I am surprised it’s not been cancelled yet. I’ve checked both the Goldfrapp website, and the Usher Hall website. 

15 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

According to Martin Lewis of MoneySavingExpert on the radio yesterday many insurers are pulling travel insurance products. All you can do is try. Good luck.

ps - He also advised don't self cancel trips, flights etc unless you really have to as you probably  won't get a refund. Try and wait for the operator to cancel as you will then get a refund. Gave an example....guys scheduled go Czech Rep. self cancelled last Thursday so lost all their money. Next day operator cancelled all bookings and they would have been entitled to a refund.

38 minutes ago, Earth_pig said:

Still waiting for them to cancel the Sam fender show on the 26th ally pally, leaving it quite late for those who have to travel.

I imagine they won't cancel unless we're put in lockdown for insurance purposes. If they cancel without lockdown, Sam and his team are still on the hook for venue hire etc and insurance won't pay out. 

My bus was a lot quieter this morning but then the train seemed about normal (admittedly I ended up getting an earlier one due to the bus being quieter). My partner is one of the unlucky ones being advised to isolate due to an underlying health condition so she's not happy at all.