Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

I'm in a really annoying spot and I recognise that this sounds selfish. 

I have to leave Australia in order to activate my visa. I had a trip to NZ for a week planned on Friday, but after their isolation guidelines on Saturday I rebooked and I'm now flying to the UK tonight, and it will be the first time that I'm going back since I left last October. All I want to do is drink some actual real beer and see my friends and family. But I'm going to do the right thing and isolate as much as I can for a week, after which point I imagine that the UK will be in a much tighter lockdown. Then I'll have a few days, fly back to Australia, then self-isolate for 14 days as per Aussie government guidelines.

My brother is in the forces and can only get this weekend off to see me. If the pubs are still open (some near us seem to operate in their own dimension anyway), would it be really selfish to walk to a country pub one afternoon and sit outside, sending Brother P in to get the beers and sitting on a different table from him? That would make me a bad person, wouldn't it? :( 

1 hour ago, Babylon sister said:

Im so sorry to hear this  small business owners put their life and soul into their work, its devastating. Boris needs to step up to the mark here and ensure folk get all the help they need to get through this. 

It's so upsetting. Cos it's not something you plan for and you pay a fortune for insurance to cover you. We reinvest a lot and always improving. Timing couldn't be worse to be in the middle of a room refurb. 

We need the lockdown to hopefully cover us for business interruption. It will hopefully help bars, restaurants and venues as well. Unfortunately the hospitality community haven't given cheques that the insurance companies have. 

Otherwise we will be promoting #isocation and try and team up with restaurants to provide food delivered. Keep people out of restaurants but people in a job in a safer environment. 

12 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

I'm in a really annoying spot and I recognise that this sounds selfish. 

I have to leave Australia in order to activate my visa. I had a trip to NZ for a week planned on Friday, but after their isolation guidelines on Saturday I rebooked and I'm now flying to the UK tonight, and it will be the first time that I'm going back since I left last October. All I want to do is drink some actual real beer and see my friends and family. But I'm going to do the right thing and isolate as much as I can for a week, after which point I imagine that the UK will be in a much tighter lockdown. Then I'll have a few days, fly back to Australia, then self-isolate for 14 days as per Aussie government guidelines.

My brother is in the forces and can only get this weekend off to see me. If the pubs are still open (some near us seem to operate in their own dimension anyway), would it be really selfish to walk to a country pub one afternoon and sit outside, sending Brother P in to get the beers and sitting on a different table from him? That would make me a bad person, wouldn't it? :( 

That sucks. I would say you're fine. I get that we need to be distancing as much as possible, but if I were in your shoes, I'd want to see my brother. I haven't seen my brothers since Jan 2019, and if I had a chance to see them and have a beer with them I'd take it.

4 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Buzzfeed.

That's where we are now?

Where we are for what? Somebody actually telling you whats actually happening and showing you what the smart people have known for a while? I understand you think they are about cat memes and quizzes but theyve been building a strong journalistic branch the last couple of years and have had some major investigative stories make waves. Sorry if they arent named The Guardian, but they arent the fucking Sun either.

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I wonder if people will follow the advice, or will the pubs still be busy on the weekend.?

Theyll be busy until  ordered to close. People in Los Angeles stayed out this past weekend and it got shut down last night. They all know its likely their last time to be at a bar/pub so theyre trying to enjoy it. I think the most disgusting sight was Disneyworld open on Sunday still and it was full.

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

@sirjonnyp if you fly to the uk now you might not be able to get back to Australia 

If he’s leaving to activate his visa, it will likely be because he is becoming a permanent resident and he’ll be allowed in under the restrictions, especially if he’s a spouse of a citizen or PR holder 

Fully aware of that, have been discussing with Kalifire over the last few days and checked with immigration yesterday on his advice, who said that as things stand I would be fine re-entering the country. I'm currently on evisitor, so would need to leave briefly in five weeks time anyway. I'm hoping that I go now, get the 309 activated, and if shit starts to hit the fan will book back on to an earlier flight if possible. I also opted for the UK rather than somewhere closer so that if Australia closes its border and I were to get stuck, I would at least get stuck at home. 

It's all happened so quickly. Last week I had to re-plan my NZ trip because I almost broke my foot and still have an outrageous limp, meaning that I couldn't do the four days of tramping I had planned. Found a good bike route instead, so got hyped for that. Now I'm returning to the UK at the worst possible time, where I won't be able to see loads of people. In my head, my return was supposed to be a sort of victory lap around the country culminating in me surprising one of my best mates on the farm. 

There are a lot of people who have it far worse than me though, so I'm just grateful that I have the luxury of being able to fly back at short notice at all. On the plus side, I get to introduce my family to Carlton Draught and TimTams a few months earlier than originally planned.

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Ok, I'd like to ask a question. How long is one contagious for? Surely if we have the answer to that question we shut down for that duration and come up smiling with a drink in our hands? 

So, incubation period is between 14-28 days where you might not show any symptoms at all.   14 days is the average period of illness.  Then post illness, the guidance from the UK SAGE team and the WHO (World Health Organisation) is that you will be contagious for approximately another 14 days. The advice is to remain isolated for the last 14 days of the total period.  So really, you're looking at between 6 weeks to 2 months of isolation for each individual that will be infected.

The peak of the population infection in the UK is deemed to be between the end of May to the End of June.  If this is the case, then its reasonable to estimate a further 4-6 weeks beyond this at least for most.  

The festival will be cancelled or postponed, there's no two ways about it unfortunately. 

Regards, 

M Doc, MBBS, M.D. FRCS

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Ok, I'd like to ask a question. How long is one contagious for? Surely if we have the answer to that question we shut down for that duration and come up smiling with a drink in our hands? 

Edited by M Doc

46 minutes ago, M Doc said:

So, incubation period is between 14-28 days where you might not show any symptoms at all.   14 days is the average period of illness.  Then post illness, the guidance from the UK SAGE team and the WHO (World Health Organisation) is that you will be contagious for approximately another 14 days. The advice is to remain isolated for the last 14 days of the total period.  So really, you're looking at between 6 weeks to 2 months of isolation for each individual that will be infected.

The peak of the population infection in the UK is deemed to be between the end of May to the End of June.  If this is the case, then its reasonable to estimate a further 4-6 weeks beyond this at least for most.  

The festival will be cancelled or postponed, there's no two ways about it unfortunately. 

Regards, 

M Doc, MBBS, M.D. FRCS

Not a real doc obviously. The LONGEST period after exposure that you go without showing symptoms is 14 days. Not 14-28. With the average being 5 days, and 97.5% of the population showing symptoms before 12 days. There are rare outlier cases of 19, 24 days but more than likely they got reexposed within the 14 day period. (WHO agrees). 

The means of transmitting the virus is through cough, so once persistent symptoms disappear, and after you break your fever, the virus is still in your body but losing the fight against your immune system. If you're no longer coughing you're not highly contagious, and could likely only spread the virus through close contact. Most people symptoms are mild after about 10 days on average, but this depends highly on your immune system and lung health. 

This means the average case happening to an average healthy individual who sees symptoms on day 5 after exposure would likely be healthy after day 15.

How long it would take for the virus to be entirely out of your system, I dont know, but once again depends on your immune response. 14 days would be unprecedented as most studies are saying the contagion is only in the beginning of the symptoms.

Edited by MetaKate

Ok @sirjonnyp but just be aware that just because you’ve booked a seat on a flight there’s no guarantee that plane will fly anymore. The normal rules don’t apply here and the aviation industry is looking at a total wipeout. Airlines will be ceasing all operations soon to reduce spending in the hope that they can avoid bankruptcy. They’ll still take your money for a flight they know isnt going to take off though. I think it’s guaranteed that you will be stuck in the uk tbh but if you’re ok with that then go for it. 

Edited by Madyaker

Wrestlemania now moved to the companies performance centre as was scheduled to be in Tampa bay nfl stadium. No crowd allowed which will be very strange.

I have asthma and currently on the way to work, no idea how my work will let all high risk workers not be around for 3 weeks. It was mentioned about maybe working from home but I would need a laptop. Will see what happens when I get in today. I have chosen to get the earlier bus which is more empty.

59 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Ok @sirjonnyp but just be aware that just because you’ve booked a seat on a flight there’s no guarantee that plane will fly anymore. The normal rules don’t apply here and the aviation industry is looking at a total wipeout. Airlines will be ceasing all operations soon to reduce spending in the hope that they can avoid bankruptcy. They’ll still take your money for a flight they know isnt going to take off though. I think it’s guaranteed that you will be stuck in the uk tbh but if you’re ok with that then go for it. 

As above, if I can get back I will. There's no going for it or not, if I don't leave Aus by the end of the month I don't get my visa, so I have to go. If I were to stay I would technically have to leave the country in five weeks anyway. Whether the planes are running or not, I would prefer to take the gamble now. 

21 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Wrestlemania now moved to the companies performance centre as was scheduled to be in Tampa bay nfl stadium. No crowd allowed which will be very strange.

I have asthma and currently on the way to work, no idea how my work will let all high risk workers not be around for 3 weeks. It was mentioned about maybe working from home but I would need a laptop. Will see what happens when I get in today. I have chosen to get the earlier bus which is more empty.

Theyve been doing the last few regular tv shows in that center already and its very weird. The first Smackdown had a small crowd but now its empty. 

So can i get betting odds with bojo making a 180 from yesterday and imposing a large gatherings ban? closing pubs and restaurants and non essential shops.

If you want truly slimey, beverly hills just announced theyll be closing all non essential stores, except for this one loophole.

56ADB51A-21C4-43DC-AE67-E1E11611CBF5.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

25 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

The Wrestlemania fiasco has been utterly hilarious. McMahon is a carnie nutcase.

18 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

It's little decisions like the that can make a big difference if we all did them. Manage personal risk of yourself & your family and help your friends & neighbour do the same. The better we do this as a while society the quicker the covid 19 emergency will pass. Heed the advice of government and it's health professionals. not the witch doctors.

6 hours ago, Babylon sister said:

He backs boris.

I thought Aaron Banks backed Mr Farage and gave his party £1m ?

Regarding insurance  possibly the biggest insurers in the UK are

Allianz - German

Axa - French

Zurich - Swiss

So I can’t see Boris being a puppet to European insurers ?  

My mum lives in Spain and they have shut the beach , bars , restaturants etc are in lockdown .  I presume that is a Boris plan as he has shares in European Insurers ?

Or he is an Everton fan and all this is to stop Liverpool winning the league ?