Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

3 minutes ago, Babylon sister said:

Its not decisive enough where hospitality, events etc are concerned and that will impact on the ability to make  claims. 

What’s that to do with Banksy ?  Who in  insurance is about the football equivalent of Ian Holloway @ Grimsby Town.  No offence to Ian Holloway but no one is going to say the Governments actions are all because Boris Wants to protect Ian Holloway 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Babylon sister said:

Its not decisive enough where hospitality, events etc are concerned and that will impact on the ability to make  claims. 

It's crippling us. No bookings, any calls received are cancellations or queries about it. 

This is the time of the year we rely on for cash flow and to get us through the winter months. As with bars, events etc. We're a bit more weather sensitive in the lake district. The flooding hasn't helped and now this. A lot of small businesses will fold cos we can't claim on insurance. We're not able to avail of the new budget. SSP is not available. 

So if you have a hotel booking please don't cancel. Move your booking. Most owners are happy to offer a change of date in better times. 

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s something for me to cling on to, I have been up to now.

I seem to remember you’ve got a relevant background, have you read that imperial college report?

Haven’t seen it yet, haven’t read much of anything about Coronavirus today (maybe why I’m feeling more positive!)...was reviewing EU grants all day! Spoke to a friend in Northwestern university though who is a virologist, he’s reasonably confident too (reassured me a lot as well). Also spoke to collaborators in China, things starting to get back to normal there as well...they’ve been shut down for 7 weeks, but not the same sorts of restrictions as in Hubei (they’re in Shanghai)...stay safe!

2 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

It's crippling us. No bookings, any calls received are cancellations or queries about it. 

This is the time of the year we rely on for cash flow and to get us through the winter months. As with bars, events etc. We're a bit more weather sensitive in the lake district. The flooding hasn't helped and now this. A lot of small businesses will fold cos we can't claim on insurance. We're not able to avail of the new budget. SSP is not available. 

So if you have a hotel booking please don't cancel. Move your booking. Most owners are happy to offer a change of date in better times. 

Im so sorry to hear this  small business owners put their life and soul into their work, its devastating. Boris needs to step up to the mark here and ensure folk get all the help they need to get through this. 

14 minutes ago, ivan said:

What’s that to do with Banksy ?  Who in  insurance is about the football equivalent of Ian Holloway @ Grimsby Town.  No offence to Ian Holloway but no one is going to say the Governments actions are all because Boris Wants to protect Ian 

He backs boris.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Your wife is fucking mental. Can't she just go for a run, or do some weights at home? There's no way I would go near one of those places where people secrete all over the machines for minutes at a time with air conditioning getting the droplets all nice and mixed up.

I work in a youth hostel. People are still booking beds in shared dorms. Not many bookings are coming in, but of the ones that are, a decent number are for dorms.

1 minute ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Surely you shouldn’t be taking those bookings? From a moral and a public health perspective. 

not my decision to make, i am but a lowly functionary. And it might well have been made by now, i wasn't in today. Also, people do have to take on a certain responsibility for themselves. they have the same info as we do and are still choosing to do it

9 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

not my decision to make, i am but a lowly functionary. And it might well have been made by now, i wasn't in today. Also, people do have to take on a certain responsibility for themselves. they have the same info as we do and are still choosing to do it

The govt has left people to choose so they will. 

Jeez I wish I had some of your guys worries. In the last 7 hours I’ve lost nearly 60% of my annual salary thanks to the ineptitude of this government unable to make a decision on the events industry.

if Glastonbury not going ahead is your biggest worry of this whole saga, count yourself incredibly lucky. Some of us are now trying to find enough money to pay rent, buy food and pay for utilities. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mike46 said:

Jeez I wish I had some of your guys worries. In the last 7 hours I’ve lost nearly 60% of my annual salary thanks to the ineptitude of this government unable to make a decision on the events industry.

if Glastonbury not going ahead is your biggest worry of this whole saga, count yourself incredibly lucky. Some of us are now trying to find enough money to pay rent, buy food and pay for utilities. 

My friends partner has a catering business and is losing months of bookings. She cant claim under interruption of busines and its likely her business will fold. So many people are going to be affected by this and if the govt was stronger they could get some help to get through it. 

Edited by Babylon sister

1 minute ago, Brianae said:

Not the UK but one of the biggest Australian festivals for July just got postponed to October 

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/news/musicnews/splendour-in-the-grass-postponed-coronavirus-october-2020/12054260

I think its influenced by the fact that july is winter time there so avoiding the seasonal aspect.

29 minutes ago, mike46 said:

This will be the biggest long term impact from coronavirus. The amount of people that will loose their businesses and jobs will take much longer to recover the longer the virus is around. 

As a vaccine will take longer to test let's hope there's some progress in treatment plans that could lessen the impact of the virus 

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/health/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

Yet we've got a "leader" deliberately wording announcements to make sure businesses dont get help

Obviously doesn't help the self employed (measures needed for that) but the above measures means permanent employees would get paid. But it goes some way to fixing some problems. 

I can only conclude that our economy is so royally fucked that we're teetering on the brink...

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, Babylon sister said:

Im so sorry to hear this  small business owners put their life and soul into their work, its devastating. Boris needs to step up to the mark here and ensure folk get all the help they need to get through this. 

We wait and see. 

1 hour ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Surely you shouldn’t be taking those bookings? From a moral and a public health perspective. 

We haven't taken a booking for over a week and I would be uncomfortable and would probably reject and future booking. I think we'll have to focus on last minute. 

As a small business it's all about cash flow and we constantly reinvest in the property. Which is why we have very strict terms. 

Boris has left us high and dry. Cos how can we morally stick to our terms? You can't claim on insurance as a tourist or a business owner. 

So please take the change of date. X

#isocation we can team up with local bars and restaurants. Keep a distance but keep in business. If you agree share the message. 

Share parties for artist's. We can do this. 

5 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yet we've got a "leader" deliberately wording announcements to make sure businesses dont get help

Obviously doesn't help the self employed (measures needed for that) but the above measures means permanent employees would get paid. But it goes some way to fixing some problems. 

I can only conclude that our economy is so royally fucked that we're teetering on the brink...

Italy did much the same, suspended mortgages, bank loans and utilities etc, gave everyone as much help as they could.

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Ok, I'd like to ask a question. How long is one contagious for? Surely if we have the answer to that question we shut down for that duration and come up smiling with a drink in our hands? 

There was an odd news story coming out of Japan a few weeks ago saying it can be caught twice, or at least it seems to have happened in some cases.

Although it mainly seems to be discounted by others, if it is possible, then the how long could someone be contagious for is going to get a lot harder to answer.

Otherwise up to about 10 days say some German scientists, but I don't think anyone is really sure yet.

41 minutes ago, Babylon sister said:

I think its influenced by the fact that july is winter time there so avoiding the seasonal aspect.

I'm not sure that has a lot to do with it. It came on in summer here, I'm not sure how much the weather actually has to do with the spread. I think for us it's more about the amount of international acts on the roster of festivals here. If people can't get here, they can't play. Rescheduling now also buys them time to figure out the situation before having to make payments and orders for things. 

I work in entertainment marketing in Sydney and the past few working days has been nothing up keeping up with the onslaught of cancellations. Some events are postponing, but only a few have actually announced the new dates.

16 minutes ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

There was an odd news story coming out of Japan a few weeks ago saying it can be caught twice, or at least it seems to have happened in some cases.

Although it mainly seems to be discounted by others, if it is possible, then the how long could someone be contagious for is going to get a lot harder to answer.

Otherwise up to about 10 days say some German scientists, but I don't think anyone is really sure yet.

Thanks cos that information would define the lock down. Just wondered why more people don't ask. I'm sure the answer would calm a few debates.