Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

The NHS is too underfunded...it will get overwhelmed and 1000s will die unnecessarily unless restrictions are in place until a vaccine is available. The is why govt is suddenly changing tack...their clever clogg modellers got it wrong.

For 12-18 months?

Their modellers didn’t get anything wrong, they’ve been telling us stricter measures would be coming repeatedly since this started.

44 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Whilst I’d love this to be true it just doesn’t fit with everything everybody else has been saying about how bad it is/will get etc.

I suppose it’s possible that governments and the media want to make us shit ourselves as much as possible so we take it seriously, and then when it’s not as bad as anyone made out it’s a nice bonus.

Well, this is based on what has actually happened (if you believe their figures), as opposed to speculation.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

This is a reassuring read. How China's recovery shows us it probably won't be as bad as many fear:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-is-coronavirus-receding-in-china-

I was speaking to a work colleague today who is our representative in China. He was in lock down two weeks ago but reckons things are now back to normal in his area (shops and businesses re-opened etc). The only new cases of Corona Virus have been from people coming into the area from other parts of China.

He was woefully mis-informed about the situation in Europe though. 

9 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Thanks! Will have a look. Does it usually sell out? Wondering how quickly I might need to buy a ticket even with all this going on!

Last year it didn't sell out - this year it's down to the last 10% of tickets.  I second that it is a fantastic little festival - full of eclectic bands you may never have heard of (or maybe that's just me!) but who are wonderful.  Punches above its weight in its line up with lots of genres.  And a decent choice of real ale at OK prices.  Definitely a min Glasto vibe.

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They haven’t changed tack, they’ve introduced measures they’ve been signposting every day for the past month.

They have completely changed tack. With the added bonus of almost entirely screwing the hospitality industry. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

Buzzfeed.

That's where we are now?

Its summarising an official report from the Imperial College, who have been advising the government. Buzzfeed just have the balls to report it in this manner - the facts in the report are still true. Will be interesting how this gets spun by the rest of the press

2 minutes ago, Peter North said:

They have completely changed tack. With the added bonus of almost entirely screwing the hospitality industry. 

That’s a different issue. I was quoting the person referring to a buzzfeed article which is complete and utter rubbish. The article suggest they got their modelling wrong and are only acting now out of panic.

They’ve constantly told us these measures have been coming when the times right. They haven’t changed tack as far as their plan is concerned at all.

20 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Buzzfeed

I’ll believe what I heard them say with my own ears from their press conference today

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf - this is what its summarised from. I genuinely wish it wasnt true. But in the summary at the end, they do admit that the models were found to be incorrect this week and that mitigation is the only way. And it also says this has helped shaped government policy the last few weeks. 

Imperial college will be getting a roasting in the main press soon I feel...

Edited by efcfanwirral

30 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Thanks! Will have a look. Does it usually sell out? Wondering how quickly I might need to buy a ticket even with all this going on!

Recent years it’s just about sold out just before the date. Who knows whether demand will rise or fall in the circumstances. Sadly not a given September will be safe.

given the festival were probably only going to carry on the assumption they could claim on the insurance if things dont pan out, the fact the government is today recommending people dont go the pub etc and not shutting them down making the insurance option not viable. It would be incredibly brave/stupid to carry on imo

34 minutes ago, Homer said:

More good news: Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are out of hospital. Basically, they felt like they had a cold for a few days then recovered. They are both 63. He has diabetes, which in theory means he's more at risk too.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-australia-hospital-a9405471.html

But this doesn't fit with the script...stop trying to un-scare everyone.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s a different issue. I was quoting the person referring to a buzzfeed article which is complete and utter rubbish. The article suggest they got their modelling wrong and are only acting now out of panic.

They’ve constantly told us these measures have been coming when the times right. They haven’t changed tack as far as their plan is concerned at all

Yeh, unfortunately you're wrong here. The report itself says that the models were incorrect. This isn't journalistic license - you can read the report yourself (not long read).

Embarrassing as it is (and probably cost lives) at least we're now clearer.

So in a shock U turn my company has said that the office is open as usual and all employees should continue to work in the office as usual.

We all have laptops and work from home at least one day a week. No idea what they are playing at.

basically ignoring government advice 

Edited by Matt42