Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It does but there is much less planning for Bearded Theory, it's tiny so it doesn't really and Bearded Theory are moving to September already with an update of whether thab can even happen.

Glastonbury statement expected soon, 200k people without any police on site, the festival would be done for the foreseeable 

If they could in theory reschedule for late summer, August maybe, why could the police not be on site? Yeah it's grim at the moment but who's to say by early July we won't be in a much better place? 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a similar statement from Glastonbury which another potential date in it. Or maybe I'm just clinging onto the last bit of optimism before Paul McCartney is yanked away from me

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It does but there is much less planning for Bearded Theory, it's tiny so it doesn't really and Bearded Theory are moving to September already with an update of whether thab can even happen.

Glastonbury statement expected soon, 200k people without any police on site, the festival would be done for the foreseeable 

Actually I think bearded theory are saying they will update on 12th April as to whether the may dates can go ahead, but that they have already secured everything for September as a contingency. 

With the news on sonar too I think it’s positive to keep options open and hope alive. To me, there seems little point in pulling the trigger now, when things could have changed in a month or two months time. It’s not delusional but there is still a pathway that allows Glastonbury, and other festivals, to happen. 

Just now, mufcok said:

If they could in theory reschedule for late summer, August maybe, why could the police not be on site? Yeah it's grim at the moment but who's to say by early July we won't be in a much better place? 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a similar statement from Glastonbury which another potential date in it. Or maybe I'm just clinging onto the last bit of optimism before Paul McCartney is yanked away from me

Same on Macca, an absolute life dream in the balance there 😭

2 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

People on here have tried to explain to you why it won’t go ahead. You just shoot them down. You’re boring the shit out of me. Go listen to some Oasis. 

Why they think it wont go ahead you mean. Nobody knows, and we all understand why it will probably be cancelled but you never know!

No one has mentioned the BBC in the rescheduling. Even if they could get the 30,000 volunteers to move their holidays and all the bands and infrastructure, plus all the stall holders they would need the BBC to then move the planned outside broadcast to another date plus move around the TV scheduling, I wonder if that would happen.

Without them I am not sure on what kind of income they would drop. Plus, would some artist be ok with it? "Yea Kendrick you know we said about a Global Audience of millions, well it will now be 50k" 

Not to say the BBC would not do it but it certainlyeems another issue that other fesivials just do not have

Edited by fred quimby

48 minutes ago, Smeble said:

When do they start setting up the festival?

Would the setting up of the festival fall foul the restrictions on mass gatherings?

if it does then either the festival has to be cancelled or the restrictions lifted before set up begins or set up is delayed to the last possible moment and a reduced festival goes ahead.

I was there Friday morning and the workers were arriving to start the build, they were already moving stuff around and digging around the place. I am volunteering with oxfam and they have just announced more spaces available on Wednesday so 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

People on here have tried to explain to you why it won’t go ahead. You just shoot them down. You’re boring the shit out of me. Go listen to some Oasis. 

And I've tried to explain to you that I don't think it will go ahead and haven't said anywhere that it will.

Are you confusing me with somebody else?

I know I'll be shot down in flames for this (and probably deserve to) & yes it's pessimism on steroids but..... I think there is a genuine risk that 2021 could not happen either. This is a long, long, haul that can only be 'fixed' by either letting nature run it's course (& associated deaths and health care melt down that I think we as a society will choose not to accept) or by miracle some antiviral or vaccine being available in quantities sufficient for the global population. You really can't put the genie back in the bottle now this virus is out there, this will require a war like mentality and as history tells us wars go on for years. Certainly life won't be back to how it has been for many, many months.

Right enough of my pessimism,  here's to Glastonbury 2021!! 

Edited by Splatt

9 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

No one has mentioned the BBC in the rescheduling. Even if they could get the 30,000 volunteers to move their holidays and all the bands and infrastructure, plus all the stall holders they would need the BBC to then move the planned outside broadcast to another date plus move around the TV scheduling, I wonder if that would happen.

Without them I am not sure on what kind of income they would drop. Plus, would some artist be ok with it? "Yea Kendrick you know we said about a Global Audience of millions, well it will now be 50k" 

Not to say the BBC would not do it but it certainlyeems another issue that other fesivials just do not have

I work for BBC sport and so I would say this would not be a problem at all. 

I have a feeling the delay in announcing anything is because contingency measures are being put in place. The fact Oxfam have offered more volunteering places would not have been made without direct communication from the top.

Maybe Glastonbury is going to wait until the latest possible moment.

2 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

I have a feeling the delay in announcing anything is because contingency measures are being put in place. The fact Oxfam have offered more volunteering places would not have been made without direct communication from the top.

As they should and I imagine any other festivals will.

Just wondering (cos I have no idea, sorry!) it was mentioned before that with no police the festival can't go ahead, but could they use outside security in place of the police or does it need to be the actual police? 

(I know this wouldn't solve the rest of the problems)

Edited by Wellyboot
( )

Trump saying the fight will run till August and maybe longer. And that’s a guy who has tried to have his head in the sand. 

Time to close this thread.

I also agree that 2021 might not happen either, in fact I can’t see normal life resuming for years.

Edited by Dusk1983
  • Downvote 6

Just now, Wellyboot said:

Just wondering (cos I have no idea, sorry!) it was mentioned before that with no police the festival can't go ahead, but could they use outside security in place of the police or does it need to be the actual police? 

they should just hire no security so we never get kicked out and all live there in an corona-free autonomy for the next 20 years before getting released back in society

4 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Maybe everyone will have to camp off site and they need more the Oxfam volunteers to carry out all the extra work. I.e we could have digital thermometers and our in out scanners to scan epo's - obviously not gonna happen but just a thought 🤔

1 hour ago, The Red Telephone said:

Johnson was piss-poor today.

Feel sorry for those who work and own businesses in the hospitality sector. Ridiculously vague. Leaving it up to others to make the decisions for him.

Wasn't there a Copper who used to post on here a few years back. He could police it no problem.