Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

I also don't work for GFL or at the top of government so much like you have no inside information. Thanks for confirming.

I have inside information from within the events and festival industry. Glastonbury is both an event and a festival. You're on a real rampage here of denial. 

1 minute ago, Ian Gunpowder said:

I have inside information from within the events and festival industry. Glastonbury is both an event and a festival. You're on a real rampage here of denial. 

So you've heard from somebody inside the events industry that it's cancelled have you? For sure?

56 minutes ago, northernringo said:

What did you expect to happen though?

Well forcing places to shut would mean some could claim in insurance for cancelled events.

This now means they’ll stay open but with no trade which means they’ll lose out on a lot of revenue. 

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

If your family & friends and yourself are well then there is no reason to avoid seeing them. The advice is all about minimising personal risk. 

Thank you. I watched all of that conference and I couldn’t gather that part of it. I think they need to be more clear.

@bombfrog sorry it's not the news you were hoping for. I admire your optimism. For me the key questions are:

Do you agree that the government has just withdrawn emergency service support from mass gatherings?
Do you agree that the police is an emergency service?
Do you agree that Whitty said the measures will be in place for many weeks?
Do you agree that any festival requires the police to help run the event (from traffic to onsite - from licencing through to behaviour/drugs etc etc)?

Yes to all of those.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

1 minute ago, Divein said:

Well forcing places to shut would mean some could claim in insurance for cancelled events.

This now means they’ll stay open but with no trade which means they’ll lose out on a lot of revenue. 

I'm not sure as it stands government can force businesses to shut if they're operating to the law and any licensing conditions. Some countries have been enacting emergency laws to give them the power to close shops etc but it ain't happened yet.

1 minute ago, hfuhruhurr said:

@bombfrog sorry it's not the news you were hoping for. I admire your optimism. For me the key questions are:

Do you agree that the government has just withdrawn emergency service support from mass gatherings?
Do you agree that the police is an emergency service?
Do you agree that Whitty said the measures will be in place for many weeks?
Do you agree that any festival requires the police to help run the event (from traffic to onsite - from licencing through to behaviour/drugs etc etc)?

Yes to all of those.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

No, you misunderstand me (as some others seem to have, even though I've been very clear about this). Maybe it's because the thread is very long and people haven't been scrolling back and reading all the posts but I am not positive at all.

However, just because I think the festival is likely to be postponed or cancelled doesn't mean I can't be sick of certain people on here playing Johnny Big-Bollocks pretending like they know everything as absolutes, presenting opinions and guesses as facts. Armchair experts as far as the eye can see this place and it's not helpful at all.

In answer to your questions....

Do you agree that the government has just withdrawn emergency service support from mass gatherings? Yes, for an unspecified time
Do you agree that the police is an emergency service? Yes, obviously 🤨
Do you agree that Whitty said the measures will be in place for many weeks? Very vague, but yes "weeks", not "months"
Do you agree that any festival requires the police to help run the event (from traffic to onsite - from licencing through to behaviour/drugs etc etc)? Of course.

Let's be careful to report what was said, without twisting and let's not try to draw too many assumptions from it.

8 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Hate to say it but this isn't happening this year, a lot of people who go (myself included) have pre-existing conditions and have been advised to stay in for 12 weeks

That’s not a reason to cancel the festival, it will be cancelled, but not because some people who go have pre existing conditions. If the festival does go ahead it’s each individual’s decision as to whether it’s safe for them to go or not.

When do they start setting up the festival?

Would the setting up of the festival fall foul the restrictions on mass gatherings?

if it does then either the festival has to be cancelled or the restrictions lifted before set up begins or set up is delayed to the last possible moment and a reduced festival goes ahead.

Edited by Smeble

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

When do they start setting up the festival?

Would the setting up of the festival fall fowl of the restrictions on mass gatherings?

if it does then either the festival has to be cancelled or the restrictions lifted before set up begins or set up is delayed to the last possible moment and a reduced festival goes ahead.

Only during the bird flu epidemic.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Homer said:

Latest 'advice' from my boss is business as usual and I have to go to the office tomorrow (travel by car from London to Kent). Seems a tad silly bring that I have the ability to work from home

That’s strange, my wife has been told not to travel to her office in London but to work from home 5 days a week rather than the 3 she already does. 

her office has split into 2 teams, going in to work on alternating weeks. But as she comes in from so far away she is doing odd days at a local office.