Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

3 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Translation of what they just announced:

We're not banning events (because that would mean we'd have to provide financial support for the affected industry). We're telling people not to go to events (because if it's their own decision they can't claim a refund). Oh, and by the way, if you do go ahead with your event, we won't provide any cover from the emergency services. But it's your choice...

The event industry has just been hung out to dry. :(

same with bars and restaurants - stay away from them, but don't close them so they don't have to support them. Our economy is clearly so unbelievably fucked - other countries are sorting it. 

I think some of the not going to events / refund issue is going to be dealt with by postponements. For example my Blossoms gig at the end of the month got postponed this morning (pre-empting the announcement I think), but I'm happy with that - I want to go to it when things are better and I don't want the money back right now.

That said, for those that cancel no refunds will be given without the festival going out of business I presume - I've got a suspicion the insurance lobbyists have something to do with this decision making

8 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

And hospitality. It's a fucking joke. We're all self employed so no support. Bad times pal. 

Yep. I'm off already (coughing all day, but that's all). Whereabouts in Cumbria are you? I'm in Ambleside. we've had a few big cancellations, but generally not that far down on where we'd be now. Future bookings have fallen off a cliff though. After that press conference I'm kinda glad I'm not in this week, the phone is going to be ringing off the hook.

"So tomorrow we will no longer be supporting mass gatherings with emergency workers as we would normally do.

Mass gatherings we are now moving emphatically away from."

Couldn't be any clearer. Imagine the festival going against and them taking front line medical staff away from critical situations where they're badly needed. The perception is that they're basically ok with people dying/having a hand in killing them, so they can have their festival.

Best we can all hope for on Glasto weekend is a BBQ in the back garden.

Although it'll probably piss down.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Says, who? And who would be "going against" governemt advice? Events haven't been banned, workplaces don't need to shut down, yet.

Once again, you're presenting speculation as if it's a fact. You have absolutely no clue whether what you're saying is true or not. You have absolutely no credentials here unless you work for GFL or the government.

Getting really sick of armchair experts on here.

I am a medical professional with wide experience in managing & supporting public events. Some on us on here actually know what we're talking about!

Edited by Lycra
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yep. I'm off already (coughing all day, but that's all). Whereabouts in Cumbria are you? I'm in Ambleside. we've had a few big cancellations, but generally not that far down on where we'd be now. Future bookings have fallen off a cliff though. After that press conference I'm kinda glad I'm not in this week, the phone is going to be ringing off the hook.

I'll pm you. Didn't realise you were only up the road. X

4 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"So tomorrow we will no longer be supporting mass gatherings with emergency workers as we would normally do.

Mass gatherings we are now moving emphatically away from."

Couldn't be any clearer. Imagine the festival going against and them taking front line medical staff away from critical situations where they're badly needed. The perception is that they're basically ok with people dying/having a hand in killing them, so they can have their festival.

Best we can all hope for on Glasto weekend is a BBQ in the back garden.

Although it'll probably piss down.

I hope so, it will make it more authentic :)

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Not true. If you’ve got symptoms it’s 7 days, it’s the difference between individual isolation and household isolation.

If you can follow that help me with this one.

i had plenty of symptoms from last weds - sore throat, aches, cough, fever. Very bad Weds/Thurs/Fri then mild Sat/Sun just cough & headache and feel fine today so was going back to work Weds. Have really carefully self isolated in my bedroom with wife in spare room and kept away from kids as one daughter has asthma. None of them showing any symptoms. I wasn’t tested as they are not testing.

Now, am I still ok to go back to work on Weds? And do family all have to self isolate for another week when they have been at school today & last week and show no signs of virus.

20 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Says, who? And who would be "going against" governemt advice? Events haven't been banned, workplaces don't need to shut down, yet.

Once again, you're presenting speculation as if it's a fact. You have absolutely no clue whether what you're saying is true or not. You have absolutely no credentials here unless you work for GFL or the government.

I'm a recently retired MAC-P, civil contingency and ES resilience planner.

You?

Edited by Copperface

17 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

And you appear to be in denial of the facts. It's gonna be cancelled. Move on. 

50 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I suppose that bits a bit vague, unless I’m missing something you’d think the police won’t be particularly stretched with a lot of people on self imposed lockdown  

Nonsense.

London ambulance withholding calls and using the police as a triage; any mention of violence or suicidal, police get sent.

The amount of calls that result in police attending hospital or dealing with the type of people who inadvertently expose themselves to infection, could spread it. Only take one or two officers to catch it and spread it on to their teams.

People locked in doors with their families for 12 weeks, it’s going to be domestic incidents constantly.

The police are already stretched and to suggest this hasn’t had an effect already is incorrect 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I am a medical professional with wide experience in managing & supporting public events. Some on us on here actually know what we're talking about!

Nope, you are speculating because nobody knows except Emily, Michael and a few others.

You may be speculating based on a bit more industry experience than some others on here but you're speculating nonetheless.

Just now, Andy0808 v5 said:

Nonsense.

London ambulance withholding calls and using the police as a triage; any mention of violence or suicidal, police get sent.

The amount of calls that result in police attending hospital or dealing with the type of people who inadvertently expose themselves to infection, could spread it. Only take one or two officers to catch it and spread it on to their teams.

People locked in doors with their families for 12 weeks, it’s going to be domestic incidents constantly.

The police are already stretched and to suggest this hasn’t had an effect already is incorrect 

Thank you. What I said was honestly out of ignorance, I genuinely couldn’t think of the impact this would have on them with less/no events and less people out and about.

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I have a genuine question. I live on my own, I have family and friends close by though. Currently if I’m well can I go and see them in their houses? None are over 70.

If your family & friends and yourself are well then there is no reason to avoid seeing them. The advice is all about minimising personal risk. 

Just now, bombfrog said:

Nope, you are speculating because nobody knows except Emily, Michael and a few others.

You may be speculating based on a bit more industry experience than some others on here but you're speculating nonetheless.

Blimey. Almighty Emil, Michael et al have the power to make it happen regardless of the bleeding obvious. IT AIN'T HAPPENING! 

• Upvote 1