Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so try and time it so you only go at quieter times...or shop online....or just don't shop too often. I don't know. Just have to do as well as you can. Same with everyone.

i work there :( of course ... you cant shop online now as most shops aren't taking on new custom 

Edited by crazyfool1

7 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

We're still over 3 months away though. They've previously said that they don't want to do it for too long as they know the public won't tolerate this for months and months.

Glasto is 13 weeks. Government advising to avoid mass gatherings for 12 weeks and maybe more. Problem is GFL can't operate on uncertainty. It  needs to start building the site way before 12 weeks end and also start training volunteers.

13 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

We have already had local crowdfunding request to support businesses - we can only hope that as a community we can support our pubs/eateries and clubs.

I assume you mean support via some online fundraising or something.

Hopefully no-one is still going to be visiting them.

Translation of what they just announced:

We're not banning events (because that would mean we'd have to provide financial support for the affected industry). We're telling people not to go to events (because if it's their own decision they can't claim a refund). Oh, and by the way, if you do go ahead with your event, we won't provide any cover from the emergency services. But it's your choice...

The event industry has just been hung out to dry. :(

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Glasto is 13 weeks. Government advising to avoid mass gatherings for 12 weeks and maybe more. Problem is GFL can't operate on uncertainty. It  needs to start building the site way before 12 weeks end and also start training volunteers.

Which is, unless I'm mistaken, over 3 months away, as I said.

1 minute ago, Lycra said:

Problem is GFL can't operate on uncertainty. It  needs to start building the site way before 12 weeks end and also start training volunteers.

As far as I understand, people are still allowed to go to work.

Listen, I'm not saying you might not turn out to be right. I think there's a very strong chance it'll be cancelled. But nonetheless, you're speculating and unless you work for the festival you're talking about something you don't understand.

4 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Translation of what they just announced:

We're not banning events (because that would mean we'd have to provide financial support for the affected industry). We're telling people not to go to events (because if it's their own decision they can't claim a refund). Oh, and by the way, if you do go ahead with your event, we won't provide any cover from the emergency services. But it's your choice...

The event industry has just been hung out to dry. :(

And hospitality. It's a fucking joke. We're all self employed so no support. Bad times pal. 

This is going to go on for months. Well into the summer. People didn’t think these measures would come in even though the government has been warming us up for it for 2-3 weeks. They are now warming us up for this to go through Summer perhaps even September/October. 

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Listen, I'm not saying you might not turn out to be right. I think there's a very strong chance it'll be cancelled. But nonetheless, you're speculating and unless you work for the festival you're talking about something you don't understand.

Yes  people can go to work but its highly likely companies and event organisers who go against government and public health advice invalidate their insurance.

Just now, Lycra said:

Yes  people can go to work but its highly likely companies and event organisers who go against government and public health advice invalidate their insurance.

Says, who? And who would be "going against" governemt advice? Events haven't been banned, workplaces don't need to shut down, yet.

Once again, you're presenting speculation as if it's a fact. You have absolutely no clue whether what you're saying is true or not. You have absolutely no credentials here unless you work for GFL or the government.

Getting really sick of armchair experts on here.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

I have a genuine question. I live on my own, I have family and friends close by though. Currently if I’m well can I go and see them in their houses? None are over 70.

9 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Clutching at straws. It will be cancelled and rightly so. I can understand that people are upset but, believe it or not, there is more to life than Glastonbury. This is life and death. 

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Says, who? And who would be "going against" governemt advice? Events haven't been banned, workplaces don't need to shut down, yet.

Once again, you're presenting speculation as if it's a fact. You have absolutely no clue whether what you're saying is true or not. You have absolutely no credentials here unless you work for GFL or the government.

Getting really sick of armchair experts on here.

Log off then pal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3