Will coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury ?

Crazyfool01

will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury   

605 members have voted

1. 1. will it be cancelled ?

• im pretty confident /100% sure it will be cancelled
    • im not sure , but think it will be cancelled
    • it could go either way , ive no idea
    • im not sure , but I think it will probably go ahead
    • im pretty confident /100% sure it will go ahead

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m now sadly in the “not happening” crowd.

Same. I was in the yes crowd previously and thought it was all being blown out of proportion. The thing g that’s changed it for me was seeing they’re planning on the peak being June. Just can’t see how we would avoid it being shut down with that being the case.

Makes me wonder why they dropped the lineup on Thursday. I wonder if they regret it? After the initial excitement, on Friday it immediately felt like it's 95% getting cancelled.

Were they genuinely optimistic, or did they have a strong idea it would be cancelled and releasing the lineup beforehand benefits them in some way? 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Makes me wonder why they dropped the lineup on Thursday. I wonder if they regret it? After the initial excitement, on Friday it immediately felt like it's 95% getting cancelled.

Were they genuinely optimistic, or did they have a strong idea it would be cancelled and releasing the lineup beforehand benefits them in some way? 

I guess it was partly optimistic and was maybe planned to be released on that day.

It could also be the case of them working hard on it all winter, so they wanted it to see the light of day before it got put in the bin.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Anyone in the 100% will was definitely choosing that option out of want than a realistic choice.

Or you know, the rapidly increasing likelihood that music festivals with people coming from all over with limited washing facilities might not be the best thing to happen in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. 

Wake up lad.

46 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The only solace I can take from this is that 80% of this forum will now be returning their tickets otherwise be incredibly hypocritical. 

The resale crew are in for a good year! 

Thinking it’ll be cancelled and wanting it to happen are two very separate things. No hypocrisy at all

4 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Or you know, the rapidly increasing likelihood that music festivals with people coming from all over with limited washing facilities might not be the best thing to happen in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. 

Wake up lad.

Well obviously not! Wake up?, bloody idiot!, I'm fully in the case of it was only 50/50 anyway because that's being realistic regardless of having a ticket or not. England isn't on lockdown but many ticket holders probably will be or close by then, every event in being cancelled etc with way less people yet people think a 200k gathering with happen.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

Anyone in the 100% will was definitely choosing that option out of want than a realistic choice.

Damn right I want it to go ahead. 

I’m also of the opinion of those who think it’s definitely not happening should give up their tickets. If they are that convinced that its not going to happen then they won’t need them. Wanting to keep their ticket just incase they get carried over to next year is damn unfair on those ticketless who are hoping to get a ticket in the resale. 

I’m also wondering how many of those wanting it to be cancelled are people who missed out on tickets this year. 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m also of the opinion of those who think it’s definitely not happening should give up their tickets. If they are that convinced that its not going to happen then they won’t need them. Wanting to keep their ticket just incase they get carried over to next year is damn unfair on those ticketless who are hoping to get a ticket in the resale. 

I’m also wondering how many of those wanting it to be cancelled are people who missed out on tickets this year. 

I don't particularly want to wade in on this debate but thinking and wanting are two very different things. I'm not criticising anyone's view points.

I don't have a ticket. I want one. 

I want a festival to go to. I think it will be cancelled due to the current predicament. 

If there is a tiny chance it will go ahead and there is a resale, I will go for tickets but I'm pessimistic at the moment. I admire people's optimism, I was there until a few days ago.

Does anyone actually want it to he cancelled (all being well)?

Edited by vintagelaureate

100% not happening in its current dates if at all.

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

thats some majorly fucked up logic going on there. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Just because your mind say it won't happen doesn't mean you should give yo a ticket, it just means you realistically don't see it but if you're money comes back then what are you losing.

Of course the majority who don't want it to be cancelled and to some that's probably not a nice view but that's kind of the reality. I'm away and was set for ticket day resale but different implications on my travels ate pushing my visit further and further back that it is very close now to resale and internet in Oz_Nz is shit compared to England.

23 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Wake up lad.

I think you might want to re-read his post.  He's saying it's not going to happen and anyone who says it 100% is was voting for what they want, not what they think will happen.

17 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Well obviously not! Wake up?, bloody idiot!, I'm fully in the case of it was only 50/50 anyway because that's being realistic regardless of having a ticket or not. England isn't on lockdown but many ticket holders probably will be or close by then, every event in being cancelled etc with way less people yet people think a 200k gathering with happen.

There are less furious ways to reply to someone getting the wrong end of the stick with one of your posts.

Completely against my usual positive outlook, but the question was asked and I've gone for sobering realism. My opinion has swung from "probably go ahead" to "pretty sure it'll be cancelled", sadly. Based upon nothing but blind faith and a hunch, I think that come the end of June, the UK will have got a handle on it but the decision to cancel will have been made just before or during the virus' peak. In my opinion there are too many unknowns for GFL to commit in time without making substantial financial losses if they have to cancel.

I hope I'm completely and utterly wrong, it happens a lot so you never know...

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think you might want to re-read his post.  He's saying it's not going to happen and anyone who says it 100% is was voting for what they want, not what they think will happen.

There are less furious ways to reply to someone getting the wrong end of the stick with one of your posts.

Yeah I misread it but it's difficult to grasp the point he's trying to make sometimes.

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

My other half is a doctor, and normally looks after the kids while I have fun at glasto.  Whether the festival goes ahead or not, my assumption is that she will be needed by the NHS over the course of glasto weekend.

So, what should I do? If the policy is that I give it up now and have no chance of attending in case of a cancellation, or keep it so that I get a free hit at a ticket for next year?  What would you do in that scenario?  Events are crap for all of us. I hope the festival goes ahead and is the amazing weekend we all need, but whenever it next occurs I'll do anything I can to be there.

I imagine there's lots of NHS workers, people involved in other key services, food supply lines etc in the same boat. What a fucking mess.