Your greatest Glastonbury moment...

The Red Telephone

The Wednesday morning of 2011, my first time. I pitched my tent at the top of Michaels Mead then opened a can of Thatchers and looked over to the Pyramid Stage then the Glastonbury sign at the other side of the site and thought to myself I love this place. 

2015, Jamie xx on the Park Stage. When he played Loud Places I absolutely bawled, I was going through a particularly rough time with mental health and that song was almost an emotional crutch so to have it rounding off what was a phenomenal set was something else for me. 

Honorary mention to getting chatting with a group of lads between The xx and Radiohead in 2017 and ending up sharing joints, getting topless, and having a bloody brilliant time watching Radiohead play the best set I have ever seen. 

Weirdly it was watching a band that I didnt really like and still dont. (I dont dislike them, i just never listen to them).

Chase & Status on West Holts, 2011.

I had had a great day and was feeling great, but decided to go and see Morrissey on the Pyramid. I went on my own and whilst I wasn't expecting the king of gloom to be uplifting, he just didnt seem like he wanted to be there and he bummed me out. Afterwards I was trying to contact my group, with no luck so I was contemplating a Saturday night on my own! As I was walking through West Holts, I randomly bumped into half of the group. We decided to stay for Chase & Status and as we made our way towards the mixing desks, we randomly bumped into the other half of the group.

I just remember dancing, in the absolute hammering rain, which felt amazing as we all came up at the same time! Dancing with strangers, etc...Just lost myself in that set.

Here's a video of the song I remember the most, which isn't great but gives you the gist...https://youtu.be/Yc_Dh5G6luU

Close second was Foos in 2017. Been wanting to see them since about 1998 and never managed to. Was gutted when they cancelled in 2015. I didnt drink anything for most of the day because I wanted to remember the set, and not have to go to the toilet every 5 seconds and it didnt disappoint.

• Upvote 1

hard to choose especially as I get older and do more Glastonburys the y all meld in to one

but two stick out 

Justice 2017 West Holts, such an amazing set and atmosphere, Moderat before them just made such an amazing Sunday night

2005 maybe the Beautiful south in the Accoustic tent , totally no voice, spent a lot of time in there that year seeing Chas and Dave the day before they rank up there with the best set ever

Chic in 2013 was pretty damn special.  In all my years, that set had the best party atmosphere and banger after banger after banger.

There's nothing quite like being with your festival family watching a band absolutely nail it from start to finish.

Though my greatest moment happened a year later.

In 2014 at arcadia in the day for Craig Charles always stands out for me.  It had been raining on and off all day and spirits were dampened somewhat but everyone was trying their best to make the most of it.  Throughout his set there was this little patch of blue sky that was edging towards us, taunting us all with a promise of sun and respite from the rain.  Craig had just started heard it through the grapevine, the bass line intro looping away. Anticipation was building in the crowd,  craving the release of the of the song while that tiny bit of blue sky crept towards the spider.

There are moments that stick with you, that are so perfect you just want to bottle them up and when that patch of blue sky made it over the spider, bathing us in sunshine for the first time and Marvin Gaye's voice was pouring honey down our ears, it was jubilance in its most unadulterated form.

Ponchos went down, smiles went up. A limbo competition appeared.  People were dancing in pure, unrestrained joy.

I've had many a glastonbury, with many a special moment yet that is the one that is always at the forefront of my mind.

Can't really narrow this down to be honest.

My first festival and spending most of the Friday at the Park was special. That was when it properly clicked for me.

The run of Craig David > LCD in 2016, in the rain and mud, was an unforgettable experience. And as someone who let the weather get to me at other festivals, it just hammered home how incredible Glastonbury is the my most enjoyable festival moment to that point was in very tricky conditions.

Radiohead in 2017 for all the obvious reasons, but 2017 was the first year that I thoroughly explored the SE corner and had an amazing time there on the Thursday.

2019 was special as the first one with my fiance - Saturday in particular was incredible with that run of acts from Lizzo through to The Killers. Perfect weather and acts just smashing it left right and centre.

1 minute ago, fuzzy_logic said:

Super Furry Animals The Other Stage 1999 - the moody dark skies, the van driving through the crowd, The man don't give a f**k, Mogwai dressed as aliens waving to the crowd, absolute carnage 😍😍😍

We posted the same story at exactly the same time. That officially makes it the best Glasto moment surely?!

LCD Soundsystem, 2016.

All of my mates went to see Coldplay - no harm in that (I'm generally of the view that they're really quite good, despite the abuse they get on here). Consensus from them is that Coldplay were brilliant, but I'd seen them at Wembley a few weeks before and had fallen in love with LCD in the year leading up to June 2016 (bit of a latecomer to the LCD party) so I had to go see them.

I got myself as close to the front as possible, made friends with the good people around me and saw the best 90 minutes of live music I've ever witnessed before or since.

Honorable mention to seeing Nick Mulvey do a secret(ish) set in the Tipi field last year, that was awesome.

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2020 at 7:09 PM, acidhoose said:

2019 only me and my twin brother managed to get tickets in our group he’d been having a shit few months in the run up to it so I really wanted to do something with him that he really enjoys. He’s not the sort of person to look at the lineup that doesn’t bother him at all but he’s right into films so on the Sunday night I got us a car in cinemargeddon to watch his favourite film escape from new York he was grinning from ear to ear watching it with his cans lined up on the dashboard quoting all the lines. Walked back to our tent as the sun was rising Monday morning a moment that will stay with me forever 

We were in a car for EFNY, cult film. We were shattered though - ate some chilli loaded fries in there, smoked a j, nearly fell asleep then headed off to bed. 

My all time favourite moment would be on Sunday 24th June, 2017 somewhere between 2am and 7am.

We'd gone from the Foos to the spider, then wandered over to Shangri La where I started coming up watching London Elektricity Big Band (not that I knew who it was at the time) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3DbCqxs8TQ.

Somehow we ended up walking from there over to the Park where my mate decided to call it a night, so Mrs B and I arranged to meet my brother-in-law's brother and his mates as they came back from Cineramageddon. The night was serendipitous from there on in. We found some floor booze - a litre and a half of Morgan's Spiced. We found some floor drugs - about a gram of mandy. We found floor clothes - a parrot fancy dress outfit, some very camp cowboy hats and some Latin American looking gear. 

In a fine mood due to our newly acquired swag, we marched back to the SE corner and ended up at Genosys until the sun came up - it was somewhere here, feeling absolutely euphoric, that I fell hard, properly hard, for the festival. It was joyous and we shared the moment, 8 of us all feeling the same things at the same time. The lineup poster now tells me we were enjoying the delights of Cab Drivers and Steffi and Virginia. 

We walked back through the Stone Circle to Worthy View, where I had to visit the bogs for an early morning disco shit and spent 15 minutes sat in a posh turdis smiling my head off. 

• Upvote 2

Here's one moment I remember...

2017 - I watched the Foos for a couple of songs, then decided to head to the SE corner for Dizraeli at the Rumshack, but on my way, ambling along, I happened upon a random campervan in a field decked out to look like a living room. It was the venue for a tiny mini-gig (one woman and a piano) happening alongside all the main stage headliners, so there was maybe a dozen people there, some high, some exhausted, but all laid back and appreciating the moment.

I found an empty armchair and nestled in. Sat back in comfort, in the middle of a field in rural Somserset, 10,000 miles from home, I just thought it was an incredible moment I'll never experience again, with this small bunch of people in this little space.

Glastonbury is as amazing for those stumbled-across experiences as it is for any top tier international act.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 1

Glastonbury 2000.  My mate Boo and I had decided to have a crack at the fence so a mate dropped us off near the site and within 30 minutes we were inside.  We pitched up in Oxlyers, tents looking out on to the other stage and spent a couple of days just getting stoned and wandering around.  On the Friday evening we were heading to the Pyramid stage and took a wrong turn, walking down next to a passing coach and found ourselves in the bit between the back of the stage and the interstage area.  There was nothing much to see here, just a row of portaloos and some railing but you can see and hear the stage from behind.

We stood there a while, wondering if there was any chance of seeing what was on the other side of a little path into the interstage area manned by security when one of the stewards came over, asking if we had a pen as he was trying to get an industry bod to put him on some guest list.  After this we got chatting to the steward and I asked him how we could get past security through to the interesting looking area beyond, he suggested mingling with the band when they came offstage and said he'd give us the nod when to run for it.  Macy Gray finished her set and he gave the nod, we hopped over the railing and sprinted across the grass, up onto the stage just as the band were coming off and walked through to the interstage area with them, getting some confused looks from them but no query from security and we were in.

It wasn't anything great in there, as it happens, but we met a few radio 1 faces and saw various C-list celebrities making drunken fools of themselves, but that moment, when we were up there on the stage in front of this huge audience for the best blag I've ever been involved in, was immense. We missed the Chems that night, who by all accounts gave a legendary performance, as we were too busy gawping at faces and trying to blag drinks.  Honestly we'd have probably had a better night out in the festival but the luck, judgement and risk that had seen us make it there made it hard to leave the semi-sanctuary of plastic garden chairs and soap stars.

• Like 1