Your greatest Glastonbury moment...

The Red Telephone

There is so many. What a truly special place it is. 

I would have to say that Coldplay in 2016 hold a very special pace in my heart for me. A horror of a week but my group all came together and had an absolute ball that night, singing along to every song, lots of tears. From a personal point of view me and my then gf (we are no longer together now) were celebrating 10 years together. As we met when we were 17, Coldplay were a part of the music at that time whilst we grew into adults.

Appreciate they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, and probably not really hugely my tastes anymore but everything about that was special. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

There is so many. What a truly special place it is. 

I would have to say that Coldplay in 2016 hold a very special pace in my heart for me. A horror of a week but my group all came together and had an absolute ball that night, singing along to every song, lots of tears. From a personal point of view me and my then gf (we are no longer together now) were celebrating 10 years together. As we met when we were 17, Coldplay were a part of the music at that time whilst we grew into adults.

Appreciate they aren’t everyone’s cup of tea, and probably not really hugely my tastes anymore but everything about that was special. 

Having seen Coldplay at Glastonbury before I was reluctant (Coldplay, meh) but I watched them because my son and missis wanted to and they were epic, so good, so upbeat and enthusiastic, they're not my cup of tea but, give 'em their due... they were awesome and although I thought the Xylo bands were a tacky gimmick they blew my mind, looking back up the hill to see the bands in synchronisation, just superb, a proper headline show! 

Hard to nail down any one moment, to be honest.  My return to the festival in 2009, went solo and got a bit teary eyed when watching Lamb with a newfound friend, 2011 with both my kids, stood on the pyramid hill watching Elbow and Coldplay when I hadn't been sure if I'd be able to make it for health reasons and spent the whole festival on crutches, 2013 watching Portishead with some random Irish fellas who befriended me.  The list goes on and on.

• Like 1

2016 was my first of 3 consecutive Glastonburys and being 50 plus I couldn't believe I was finally there .

The first live song I heard at it was James nothing but love ...one of my favourite bands I cried like a baby at the joy of being there after all that time . The mud just made it more real .

2016 festival was the best experience of my life .

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

The one moment you look back on and think...yes, that’s why it’s my most favourite place on earth and why...

For me: Underworld, West Holts 2016.

Dancing with my wife/ best friend to amazing music with a great crowd around us. We still can’t watch the set back without crying.

thankyou for this thread ... happy times are what we need to remember .... and theres some blinders on here ... may also have shed a tear at that James talk .... then and now thanks for posting that @oneeye.... I honestly cant pin anything down particularly so many moments of me just standing on that farm with a grin across my face, or a tear of happiness at a speech , musical moment or something as simple as some joking around with friends or high fiving people wearing my hat . Some things that will be happening at the next Glastonbury whenever it may be :) :) :) looking forward to it 

Dressing up, acting completely crazy.

Some of my best memories of my life were at Glastonbury, over the years our gang used to get into the spirit by dressing up, our best ones as Amy Winehouse and Slash. I think I’m a better Slash than an Amy...

Met some of my best ever friends at, or because of, Glastonbury 

4AD5ABCD-7E6E-4B5C-BCF0-86706FDAFEB1.jpeg

ED7020A8-45E2-4019-8276-24B0D14F8761.jpeg

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

thankyou for this thread ... happy times are what we need to remember .... and theres some blinders on here ... may also have shed a tear at that James talk .... then and now thanks for posting that @oneeye.... I honestly cant pin anything down particularly so many moments of me just standing on that farm with a grin across my face, or a tear of happiness at a speech , musical moment or something as simple as some joking around with friends or high fiving people wearing my hat . Some things that will be happening at the next Glastonbury whenever it may be :) :) :) looking forward to it 

No worries dude

I've said this before but away from "big" songs etc there are two sets of memories for me.

The first was at my first Glasto in 2014 when I discovered the wonder that is the T&C fields.  Wandered into a tent where Jonathan Pie was appearing and before long was part of a group running round the field,  singing the Flintstones theme while pretending to be ostriches.

Then in 2016 I was feeling pissed off and aimless.  The mud was getting me down, I was on my own, Gregory Porter on the Pyramid stage was leaving me cold, so I wandered off and found Lekkido Lord of the Lobsters appearing on the Summerhouse stage.  I was soon dancing in the rain with about 7 other people "pinchie, pinchie, kiss, kiss".  Immediately after this I had a beer in the nearby bar which played Message to you Rudy by the Specials, and a guy next to me stood on the table and played along on his trombone - he was from New York Brass Band.  

As far as the experience away from such small, personal ones, it has to be Billy Bragg on the Friday of Brexit in 2016 - absolutely electric!

Edited by Beerqueen
typo

Too many! Theres pulp on the park 2011 after a heavy few days looking after my mum, theres dancing in the glade to dreadzone on my 1st pill aged 40, theres watching ray davies in 2010 balling my eyes out as my dad had died a few weeks before, theres buying some gear from a bloke and being up 2 days later, there's sitting at a sunset with the ome you love the most, there's daft conversations with kids (and parents), there's hugs with strangers, I'm not sure even where to start! 

Chic at West Holts for me. I love a bevvy and when I finish one I am thinking right where is the next one. I was having that much fun at Chic I just didn't care. 

Pet Shop Boys 2010 and the atmosphere at Paul Heaton A Jacqui Abbot in the acoustic tent (Cant remember what year) was electric for honourable mentions.

Mad one was Connan Mockasin in the Crows Nest. 

49 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

Having seen Coldplay at Glastonbury before I was reluctant (Coldplay, meh) but I watched them because my son and missis wanted to and they were epic, so good, so upbeat and enthusiastic, they're not my cup of tea but, give 'em their due... they were awesome and although I thought the Xylo bands were a tacky gimmick they blew my mind, looking back up the hill to see the bands in synchronisation, just superb, a proper headline show! 

That's my favourite ever gig - on the back of Brexit, Xylo bands, the colour, the positivity - fantastic.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

That's my favourite ever gig - on the back of Brexit, Xylo bands, the colour, the positivity - fantastic.

I was severely depressed that year.  I'd made the decision that it wasn't going to stop me going and hoped it would help lift me out.  Needless to say, the festival started with sitting in a queue in the pissing rain, pitching a tent in the pissing rain and trudging through mud.  At times it damn near broke me.  My sister had a psychotic break that weekend and was constantly calling me with just...weird shit.  I went to that Coldplay gig and fuck me if that didn't fix me right up, just gave my soul a bloody good wash and blow dry and sent me on my way on top of the world.  Back at camp afterwards, excited and discussing the festival with the camp solo crew like a different person to the tearful, morose bugger they'd had to share a camp with all week.

I've seen Coldplay 3 times at the farm and each time it's been the highlight of the festival.  If they played again I'd be the last person to complain.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Radiohead 2017 because I had been waiting 20 years since watching the 97 performance to become obsessed with the festival and finally be able to go. Cried during the second song. Will cry even more the second I get into those gates in June as will most of us.

Same. I spent a few months after they were announced listening to all the albums A LOT whilst heartbroken in the jungle (long story). Got back to the UK a couple of weeks before Glastonbury. The whole festival was perfect, but that set in particular was magical. The most amazing set list, crazy atmosphere, and my best mates in the world all together, singing, crying, hugging each other, it was perfect. And on top of that just being so fucking happy that all the heartbreak (and jungle time) was behind me. I can't imagine any other set ever beating it, tbh.

And some people reckon it was shit! I just can't fathom that at all.

I'll name few

Singing along to the lady playing the piano in the green fields in 2013

Spontaneous group dance to New York New York right after Phoenix in JP 2013. 

Random stranger hugging me during Tunnels in Arcade Fire 2014. 

LCD Soundsystem in 2016. 

Radiohead 2017.

Getting handfasted in 2017 with 100% complete strangers as witnesses. A nice young couple volunteered as photographers.

5 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

The one moment you look back on and think...yes, that’s why it’s my most favourite place on earth and why...

For me: Underworld, West Holts 2016.

Dancing with my wife/ best friend to amazing music with a great crowd around us. We still can’t watch the set back without crying.

Me and Mrs monkfish had the same thing at underworld. I only remember Rez and Born Slippy but it was truly unreal after a long old day. 

One of my favourite ones involved a man who was prowling around The Glade (I think, looking at the photo it might be a bar near WH) in 2017. He approached my friends and I on the Thursday evening and introduced himself as the King of Glastonbury. He had us google 'King of Glastonbury' to confirm that he was indeed the King of Glastonbury. We had a right giggle as he welcomed us - his subjects - to his kingdom and then he moved on once we had payed our respects, dragging a milk box / crate behind him. 

We were passing through WH the next day on the way to cabaret and saw him trying to enter the backstage area near where they had the signing area, so we went over and played along with, pleading with the security guards to permit the King passage through his own kingdom. 

On the Sunday, we were passing through the back of WH and who do we see but the King himself, animatedly talking to a group who did not seem convinced of his claim to the throne. I knew what I had to do and ran over, yelling 'Sire, sire, I am here! Behold strangers, for this be the King of Glastonbury! Sire, knight me, knight me!' The randomers disappeared, but the King climbed on top of his crate, I kneeled before him and he knighted me with his cane. Then I rolled around on the ground laughing for a bit and we parted ways with the King. 

I never saw him before and I didn't see him in 2019, but those three encounters in 2017 really captured what a magical, bonkers place the festival is. Has anyone else met the King? 

DSC00861.JPG

• Upvote 1