Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The exact wording from Kendal calling is

’for your peace of mind should we have to cancel,  tickets will be valid for 2021 at 2020 prices’ 

Kendall doesn’t sell out in seconds. I can buy a ticket right now for this year’s festival.

What they do is irrelevant.

21 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

It's not really, but it's definitely fairer than telling people who have already got tickets, paid deposits, made travel plans etc. for this year that they're to be put back in with the same chances as those that haven't.

I'm afraid you're just wrong about this one Hugh.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

’for your peace of mind should we have to cancel,  tickets will be valid for 2021 at 2020 prices’ 

I know it's not a festival but Disneyland Paris are doing the same - anyone affected by the cancellations of flights etc. can move their dates free of charge to a different date at the same price or take a full refund. 

In regards to Glastonbury; for the ticketless folk (like me) it would be a tough one indeed but if I had a ticket I would be even more disappointed at the prospect of losing it. So the argument is then for some kind of cover; be it an option to purchase for next year without the stress of a sale or something else. I think for some people that mightn't be an option, there are various reasons why people mightn't be able to attend next year but there is definite scope for that option to be given. 

The easiest break - in terms of logistics - would be a full refund as eveyone is back to equal terms. I just don't know but I expect we will hear something this week.

Edited by vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

On paper. In real life, nope. The latter would be, however. 

Surely you know how all the different Glastonbury sales work though? There are four different sales plus worthy view camper van passes, car park tickets, they’re all linked to your reg number.

The balance payment window is in a few weeks, people have week to login and pay their balance, some do some don't, those that don’t get their deposit back minus a fee to cover any costs, that happens every year.

In the campervan ticket sale you can’t buy a ticket if your registration number is linked to a coach ticket - so it’s very easy to link the numbers to different scenarios.

So given all that, we pay our balances in a few weeks... then it’s cancelled, so it’s inconceivable to you that they couldn’t as an example have what would be like another balance payment window, you just login within the window and tick a box to say if you want a refund, or do you want it to roll over? For those who want a refund they’d process the refund in the exact same way as they do after the normal balance window, they’d deduct the same amount to cover the cost of it all anyway.

FWIW I don’t think they’d do this, but there is precedent for them doing very similar versions of effectively what is the same thing multiple times every year 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

They’ll obviously have all the data from previous resales so they’ll know roughly what the drop off rate is between October and April. A bit of maths and they’ll probably be able to estimate how many might want to buy again for 2021. They could then do a presale for a number maybe a bit below that and then you keep most people happy 

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely you know how all the different Glastonbury sales work though? There are four different sales plus worthy view camper van passes, car park tickets, they’re all linked to your reg number.

The balance payment window is in a few weeks, people have week to login and pay their balance, some do some don't, those that don’t get their deposit back minus a fee to cover any costs, that happens every year.

In the campervan ticket sale you can’t buy a ticket if your registration number is linked to a coach ticket - so it’s very easy to link the numbers to different scenarios.

So given all that, we pay our balances in a few weeks... then it’s cancelled, so it’s inconceivable to you that they couldn’t as an example have what would be like another balance payment window, you just login within the window and tick a box to say if you want a refund, or do you want it to roll over? For those who want a refund they’d process the refund in the exact same way as they do after the normal balance window, they’d deduct the same amount to cover the cost of it all anyway.

FWIW I don’t think they’d do this, but there is precedent for them very similar versions of effectively what is the same thing multiple times every year 

They could even add a tick box when we pay the balance - in the event of cancellation, would you like to roll your ticket over to next year? Those that tick roll over, those that don’t get a refund and then the refunded spots go into the October sale as usual. 

2 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

They could even add a tick box when we pay the balance - in the event of cancellation, would you like to roll your ticket over to next year? Those that tick roll over, those that don’t get a refund and then the refunded spots go into the October sale as usual. 

Yes, easy! That would be perfect...

Plus in reality they wouldn’t need to make it a big issue for non 2020 ticket holders either. They never tell us how many tickets are available in the resale, so they wouldn’t have to say how many were left for the October sale. Make sure the October sale lasts around 30 minutes and nobody needs to be unnecessarily annoyed. Obviously we’d all analyse it to death on here, but the wider public wouldn’t.

I definitely don’t think they’d do it though, but just a thought.

Will be interesting to see how many pay the balance off, if it’s a significant drop compared to usual maybe those could be offered first dibs if cancelled, as there will still be a nice amount left for everyone else to try? Although I suppose this requires the cancellation to be made between balance payment and resale which is unlikely

I think a pre-sale would be difficult from a development point of view as you would effectively have to program the registration numbers of everyone who had a ticket for this year in to prevent it being abused. I think the easiest option logistically would be to offer people the option of rolling over or a refund. They would then know how many refunds have been offered and so how many tickets they have available to sell for next years festival. I'm one of the ticketless as well but I do think this is the fairest way just because getting tickets is so hard these days. 

I do wonder if they might move balance payment date by a couple of weeks so that they have a better understanding of the situation and to organise the logistics of whatever options they go for. You can bet they will be exploring every conceivable option in detail. They don't want to let any one down and given the companies and people whose very livelihoods depend on this whether we get to part in a field is probably small fry in comparison. I feel so much for them. Whatever they decide to do is going to upset some group. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think a pre-sale would be difficult from a development point of view as you would effectively have to program the registration numbers of everyone who had a ticket for this year in to prevent it being abused. I think the easiest option logistically would be to offer people the option of rolling over or a refund. They would then know how many refunds have been offered and so how many tickets they have available to sell for next years festival. I'm one of the ticketless as well but I do think this is the fairest way just because getting tickets is so hard these days. 

I do wonder if they might move balance payment date by a couple of weeks so that they have a better understanding of the situation and to organise the logistics of whatever options they go for. You can bet they will be exploring every conceivable option in detail. They don't want to let any one down and given the companies and people whose very livelihoods depend on this whether we get to part in a field is probably small fry in comparison. I feel so much for them. Whatever they decide to do is going to upset some group. 

I’m no programmer, but during the main sale it will flag up if you’ve already had an attempt to buy, and in the camper sale it won’t let anyone who has a coach ticket buy one, so I wouldn’t have thought it would be too onerous? Not when they already do slightly related things in some of the other sales.

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m no programmer, but during the main sale it will flag up if you’ve already had an attempt to buy, and in the camper sale it won’t let anyone who has a coach ticket buy one, so I wouldn’t have thought it would be too onerous? Not when they already do slightly related things in some of the other sales.

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I am a programmer and a pre-sale only open to those whose registrations are associated with deposits for this year's sounds easy.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It just seems to me an additional onerous process though that would require dev work (which is an additional cost). Why hold an extra sale when you could simply ask who wants one and who doesn't from this year's and then just sell the remainder. 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I am a programmer and a pre-sale only open to those whose registrations are associated with deposits for this year's sounds easy.

But wouldn't it be even easier not to have that sale. Just send an e-mail with a link of who wants to request a refund and who doesn't. If everyone would get the tickets anyway why bother with the sale??

Just now, gigpusher said:

But wouldn't it be even easier not to have that sale. Just send an e-mail with a link of who wants to request a refund and who doesn't. If everyone would get the tickets anyway why bother with the sale??

Marginally. But a pre-sale wouldn't be particularly hard. My take is it's down to how the festival want to handle it rather than any technical considerations.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Marginally. But a pre-sale wouldn't be particularly hard. My take is it's down to how the festival want to handle it rather than any technical considerations.

Oh absolutely and in the Eavii we trust but I just think the cheapest and easiest option would be preferable for everyone. There would (to me at least) seem very little point in holding a pre-sale where everyone is guaranteed a ticket but still has to go through See Tickets flaky process when just having a yes I want to roll over my ticket to next year or no I want a refund option would suffice. 

14 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Oh absolutely and in the Eavii we trust but I just think the cheapest and easiest option would be preferable for everyone. There would (to me at least) seem very little point in holding a pre-sale where everyone is guaranteed a ticket but still has to go through See Tickets flaky process when just having a yes I want to roll over my ticket to next year or no I want a refund option would suffice. 

I guess it would allow the cash to be returned to the customers between cancellation and pre-sale.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Basically their just after your cash and want to hold on to it. They're not being generous millions of quid gives liquidity and earns high in interest.