Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

Just playing devil's advocate, but the festival can, presumably, refund this year's tickets. Whatever anyone has spent beyond that is non of their concern and not something they should really be bringing into next year's ticketing. 

But they know those people will have been making plans, in many cases spending money, on the basis that they’ll be attending. That inconvenience/expense is what, I think, gives rise to a moral obligation to give those people an option for the following year.

I find the general idea that the festival should be more (or equally) worried about upsetting people who don’t have tickets than those who do a very odd one.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Superscally said:

You're not aware of the logistical and financial implications of the situation... Trust me, that wouldn't work. I've experience in events organisation, not of the same size, but in the thousands. The headache for an event the size of Glasto would be biblical.

Good shout. All tickets cancelled, first sale is for those who were winners this year. Then the rest.

I don’t care if you’re actually Michael Eavis himself, it would be a piece of piss to organise.

21 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

But they know those people will have been making plans, in many cases spending money, on the basis that they’ll be attending. That inconvenience/expense is what, I think, gives rise to a moral obligation to give those people an option for the following year.

I find the general idea that the festival should be more (or equally) worried about upsetting people who don’t have tickets than those who do a very odd one.

It is of course absolutely absurd. They’ve even released the lineup. 

There is no possible way this will result in people that got tickets for the 50th Glastonbury not being able to attend, and those who didn’t get tickets attending. 

29 minutes ago, Henrik said:

So if you don’t have a ticket this year, you won’t get a chance to attend until 2022.

No chance. If it’s cancelled, they will issue refunds and we go again. 

It could go either way, other festivals such as Kendal calling, who have sold out tickets, have already said they would allow this year to roll over or offer a refund. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

To this and @Garrett_Salas point above, we have the same arguments every year about the “fairness” of the ticketing system, and every year we always conclude that whilst the current system has its flaws it is also the fairest we have. How is it fair to tell the people who missed out in October 2019 that they won’t be setting foot on the farm until June 2022 at the earliest?

My personal view is that having a ticket for 2020 does not gift any divine right to 2021, it will suck so hard if we all can’t go in June, but you know what? That’s life, sometimes shit things happen.

Bizarre viewpoint. This would be a lot different to debate about the regular ticket system.

Edited by ModernMan

53 minutes ago, Henrik said:

So if you don’t have a ticket this year, you won’t get a chance to attend until 2022.

No chance. If it’s cancelled, they will issue refunds and we go again. 

Similar to if you didn’t get a ticket in 2019, you can’t attend until 2021. 

5 hours ago, fullerlove said:

What a load of bollocks.  Look I have a ticket for this year.  I'm sorry for those that dont BUT the fairest way is to let US who already have tickets get first dibs on next year end of.  Sorry to those who dont have tickets or those who do and I'm sure I may be selfish but its a nightmare getting tickets so why should I give my ticket it up thinking I may not get them again for years to come

Edited by Cheddar Valley

To this and @Garrett_Salas point above, we have the same arguments every year about the “fairness” of the ticketing system, and every year we always conclude that whilst the current system has its flaws it is also the fairest we have. How is it fair to tell the people who missed out in October 2019 that they won’t be setting foot on the farm until June 2022 at the earliest?

My personal view is that having a ticket for 2020 does not gift any divine right to 2021, it will suck so hard if we all can’t go in June, but you know what? That’s life, sometimes shit things happen.

I think ticketing system and this are two separate things. Ticket day, by it's very nature will be unfair and nothing can be done about that. However for this we actually have the opportunity to implement the more fair option! Seems very boomer trolley problem logic

How is it fair to tell the people who missed out in October 2019 that they won’t be setting foot on the farm until June 2022 at the earliest?

It's not really, but it's definitely fairer than telling people who have already got tickets, paid deposits, made travel plans etc. for this year that they're to be put back in with the same chances as those that haven't.

I'm afraid you're just wrong about this one Hugh.

15 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

I think ticketing system and this are two separate things. Ticket day, by it's very nature will be unfair and nothing can be done about that. However for this we actually have the opportunity to implement the more fair option! Seems very boomer trolley problem logic

Eh?