Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

2020 cancelled.

Deposit refunded.

Existing ticket holders to get first refusal on next year's event, linked to registration number, with a payment window a week before the initial sale in October.

Those who don't take up the opportunity, tickets go into the regular pot. 

Seems like a fair process to me. 

Easily the fairest option.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There’s no answer to the question that is not going to upset a significant number of people.

In my opinion the fairest solution is just to reset everyone back to the same place for 21. Shite as it is for those of us with tickets.

I think there’ll be a lot more people upset if those who actually got tickets are told that’s now worthless, without any option of rolling it over, because they’ve got to be fair to people merely planning to try for tics in October.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This should only be a question that needs to be asked in the unlikely event that this year’s festival is cancelled. 

If this years event is cancelled there’d be no need for a poll - they’d say what’s happening! 

And I’m ever the optimist but I don’t think you can say it’s ‘unlikely’ that this year will be cancelled! 

8 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I just think there’s already too much negativity being created on this site. 

oh c'mon. There's a real world out there, and these forums should be able to talk about it.

I'd much rather there wasn't this sort of conversation going on, but the circumstances are what they are.

13 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I think there’ll be a lot more people upset if those who actually got tickets are told that’s now worthless, without any option of rolling it over, because they’ve got to be fair to people merely planning to try for tics in October.

‘Hey everybody who didn’t get tickets in 2020 - now you’ve got even less of a chance of getting them!’

I just don’t see it happening this way. Sure, for the people with tickets it may seem awful that their 2020 ticket success was all for nothing, but I can’t see them pissing off the far more people who didn’t get them and now probably won’t get them again. 

Edited by FloorFiller

I think if this year’s event gets cancelled then there will be something for those who have tickets, not sure whether it would be a straight rollover, or a presale like they do with coaches etc. 

What I’d like to see is some kind of system where those who have tickets can defer for up to 3 years (until the next proper fallow year), and choose to use their ticket on any one of those years - maybe with a limit on how many can defer to any one year to avoid the issue of those who were unlucky for this year not having any chance at all next year.

Obviously that’s way too much of a ballache for them to actually do, but in an ideal world it would be good - it gives all those with 2020 tickets the guarantee of a festival at some point in the next 3, and doesn’t penalise those who didn’t get tickets too badly.

Edited by JoBalls

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

‘Hey everybody who didn’t get tickets in 2020 - now you’ve got even less of a chance of getting them!’

I just don’t see it happening this way. Sure, for the people with tickets it may seem awful that their 2020 ticket success was all for nothing, but I can’t see them pissing off the far more people who didn’t get them and now probably won’t get them again. 

Seems totally backwards to prioritise people who didn’t get tickets - and who might not have even tried - over people who did. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

Seems totally backwards to prioritise people who didn’t get tickets - and who might not have even tried - over people who did. 

What do you mean by ‘might not have even tried’? They’re trying for 2021, a completely new festival. Not their fault 2020 got cancelled. 

My personal opinion is that If it gets cancelled then it’s a clean slate for 2021, no carry over no option to buy, nothing.

As gutted as I will be about that I’m about 90% certain that’s what they will do. It’s not in their interests to make the festival harder to get tickets to for the wider population. It’s in their interests to make it as accessible to everyone as possible and to keep as popular as possible, that will be their overriding consideration.

I have an idea that *might help to appease everybody to an extent though. They could make a presale for the resale (yes it rhymes) for any successful reg numbers for 2020 that obviously were then unsuccessful for 2021 in October.

Its not perfect but when you consider the drop off rate, then the people who would be lucky again in October then odds for anybody in the resale presale would be fairly good.

The reality is it wouldn’t be presale because all the tickets would go, so essentially just make the resale for people who failed in the main sale who had tickets for 2020

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

For me I think it would be extremely unfair to not give first priority to those with tickets this year who have been getting excited about going to just say 'it's cancelled, good luck in getting them for 2021'

I do say that as a ticket holder and the 800,000 people who weren't successful would argue otherwise

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The London Marathon has a fair system of a rollover to the following year in the event of not being able to participate in the current year 

I once rolled over my "ticket" for the London marathon no refund and had to pay the full price again the next year , is this still the case ?

Another idea to expand on my previous one is to allocate a certain amount of tickets for a presale before the main sale, but not all of them, maybe something like 30,000.

That way 2020 ticket holders get two bites at the cherry and a sale with better initial odds.

I appreciate they don’t need to do this, but I’d like to think that what they do with regards to this will have been given at least consideration, and that they will take into account how shit it will be for 2020 ticket holders to get the square root of sweet fuck all, other than the potential for extra heightened disappointment in October.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

What do you mean by ‘might not have even tried’? They’re trying for 2021, a completely new festival. Not their fault 2020 got cancelled. 

Er, your was about the message to be sent to “everybody who didn’t get tickets in 2020”, ie the unsuccessful applicants, yet your suggestion of pretending the 2020 ticket sale never happened would actually equally reward people who didn’t try.

On the other hand, those who got tickets for this year will have planned their holidays/summers around the fest, and so deserve better treatment than people to whom cancellation would be no real inconvenience at all.

• Upvote 1

I just can’t see them rolling tickets over to another year.

Sucks for people with tickets but everybody back in the hat for 2021 is the fairest way. 

If they do roll them over they will piss off a lot more people, which would be even more damaging for the long term health of the festival.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Another idea to expand on my previous one is to allocate a certain amount of tickets for a presale before the main sale, but not all of them, maybe something like 30,000.

That way 2020 ticket holders get two bites at the cherry and a sale with better initial odds.

I appreciate they don’t need to do this, but I’d like to think that what they do with regards to this will have been given at least consideration, and that they will take into account how shit it will be for 2020 ticket holders to get the square root of sweet fuck all, other than the potential for extra heightened disappointment in October.

Like the idea of their being a smaller sale for 2020 ticket holders before the main sale. Won’t please everybody, but at least some people will get their tickets held over for 2021.

Maybe somebody already brought this idea up earlier but I’ve only just seen your reply.

Just because Glastonbury is a huge over subscribed event, it doesn’t mean you have to cater to people who didn’t get tickets. This approach doesn’t make any sense to me, if you have a ticket for any event that gets cancelled you almost always get an option for the reschedule. Like it or not, the next festival will effectively be a reschedule. 

• Like 1