Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

What Boris has said could be significant. It doesn’t look like they’re going to pull the plug on anything, just advising against it.

That could affect how their insurance pays out, nobody is technically stopping them going ahead but they are essentially by default.

If insurance doesn’t pay out it makes a postponement (but to 2021) more likely than a cancellation and therefore 2020 holders keep their ticket.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Would think it was weird and completely out of character for the festival not to roll over current tickets to next year if the festival is unable to take place, true the festival doesnt 'owe' anyone anything and would be somewhat unfair to people who have already missed out on tickets, never going to please everyone, but an optional refund or ticket honoured for '21 seems like the most obvious glasto way they would go about it, there would no doubt be a far higher amoubt of tickets available in a resale anyway.

Fingers crossed its still going to happen though 

As it stands it is going ahead and we should plan as if it is happening as normal. 

In the unlikely event that it is cancelled then it’s only GFL who will make that decision. Until if that happens all we’re going to do is argue constantly over moot points and probably have more polls on the subject. 

Maybe it’s time to end all Corona threads until we get a statement from Glastonbury themselves. 

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

What Boris has said could be significant. It doesn’t look like they’re going to pull the plug on anything, just advising against it.

That could affect how their insurance pays out, nobody is technically stopping them going ahead but they are essentially by default.

as Sawdusty said, hung out to dry.

It's probably nothing to do with how close the Lloyds names are the tories. ;) 

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

Bearded theory hasn’t cancelled, and has said it will honour tickets to a delayed event. 

That's encouraging, and BT would be much more flexible (due to size, type of acts, etc) to be able to rearrange a date later in the year. I'm excited at the prospect!

17 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Yup.

The situation is changing by the day, though. Just because Boris is being a corrupt little twat today doesn’t mean things won’t be taken out of his hands by the end of the week - let alone by June.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

5 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:
said:

I wonder when they print up the merch.....a t-shirt for the GF that didn't happen would be a collector's item worth having.

I was at V Festival in 2009 (Essex site) which was the year that Oasis decided they weren’t going to headline the Sunday night on the Sunday morning. I would say it was around 11am that everyone got wind they weren’t turning up. By around 2pm there were entrepreneurs selling unofficial ‘Noasis V Fest 09’ t-shirts. Properly designed and printed. I found that quite incredible.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

Maybe it’s time to end all Corona threads until we get a statement from Glastonbury themselves. 

I very much second this notion. I don't know why I torture myself coming in to these threads. They're worse than reading the news.

I haven't even been excited once yet from all the anxiety over a cancelled event. It's hell. One of the worst build ups in history.

17 minutes ago, D-Low said:

I very much second this notion. I don't know why I torture myself coming in to these threads. They're worse than reading the news.

I haven't even been excited once yet from all the anxiety over a cancelled event. It's hell. One of the worst build ups in history.

With potentially the greatest ever festival on the horizon! Keep the faith 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

As it stands it is going ahead and we should plan as if it is happening as normal. 

In the unlikely event that it is cancelled then it’s only GFL who will make that decision. Until if that happens all we’re going to do is argue constantly over moot points and probably have more polls on the subject. 

It's too late. The virus has spread to other threads. It's not about containment anymore but flattening the curve. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

I was at V Festival in 2009 (Essex site) which was the year that Oasis decided they weren’t going to headline the Sunday night on the Sunday morning. I would say it was around 11am that everyone got wind they weren’t turning up. By around 2pm there were entrepreneurs selling unofficial ‘Noasis V Fest 09’ t-shirts. Properly designed and printed. I found that quite incredible.

I designed and sold T-shirt’s to help fund my travels of nz ... pretty much most places could print them within an hour or so 

As ever everyone’s jumped to conclusions based off fake news. Basically it’s an add on no one would ever think to bother with for their insurance. It’s not a conspiracy theory. 

Coronavirus: No insurance cover for most virus-hit businesses https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51927500

Bojo is set to announce financial assistance measures for small business later today/ tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, vardyvarvar said:

Glasto 2009 there were "Jackson 4" t shirts around on the morning after he died

I've been back and forth on this one. Weeks back I thought they would definitely refund and start afresh, following the logic that 2020 and 2021 are two different events, but I'm not so sure now having seen other festivals set precedents in their contingency plans.

At the moment though can they be 100% sure the festival will go ahead in 2021? I know I'll get slated for saying that and it's probably very likely it will, but playing devil's advocate would it make sense to move tickets to an event that they can't get guarantee will take place? So on that basis maybe a refund and presale makes more sense as they can see the lay of the land better in October.

As someone ticketless I can see my chances of going for a while withering away here, but I know if I had a ticket I would want to keep it and be upset if I didn't. But I don't think it can be an expectation, more a nice gesture, which they are certainly capable of.

I think the core question is: Which is financially best for Glastonbury Festival?

If they get a big cheque from the insurance companies which allows them to prepare as normal for next year, I think it's likely they'll start from scratch. If they don't, or such payments are significantly delayed, keeping a hold of those £50 deposits (or even asking for more to guarantee tickets for the next Festival) might be a good way to pay their bills.

9 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

I think the core question is: Which is financially best for Glastonbury Festival?

If they get a big cheque from the insurance companies which allows them to prepare as normal for next year, I think it's likely they'll start from scratch. If they don't, or such payments are significantly delayed, keeping a hold of those £50 deposits (or even asking for more to guarantee tickets for the next Festival) might be a good way to pay their bills.

yep, that's pretty much my take on things.

21 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Yes, I would gladly pay the full amount, now, if it helped them out.

40 minutes ago, FrankieX said:

Isn’t keeping hold of the deposits always going to be better for them financially, whether they get an insurance payout for losses or not?

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've been back and forth on this one. Weeks back I thought they would definitely refund and start afresh, following the logic that 2020 and 2021 are two different events, but I'm not so sure now having seen other festivals set precedents in their contingency plans.

At the moment though can they be 100% sure the festival will go ahead in 2021? I know I'll get slated for saying that and it's probably very likely it will, but playing devil's advocate would it make sense to move tickets to an event that they can't get guarantee will take place? So on that basis maybe a refund and presale makes more sense as they can see the lay of the land better in October.

As someone ticketless I can see my chances of going for a while withering away here, but I know if I had a ticket I would want to keep it and be upset if I didn't. But I don't think it can be an expectation, more a nice gesture, which they are certainly capable of.

I’m really really reticent to say this based it being my view for 2020 not so long ago, but if we’re in a position where 2021 can’t go ahead then the human race is bang in trouble and nobody will be giving a toss either way, Glastonbury and anything like it will be a distant memory. I say that based on the fact even though it’s now a given that Glastonbury won’t go ahead this year, equally it wouldn’t have been massively inconceivable for it to have taken place, and that’s a against a backdrop of the virus supposedly peaking a few weeks before the gates would’ve opened. As hugely grim as it is they’re talking about containing this to about 20,000 deaths against a backdrop of 8,000 flu deaths a year. If we’re in a worse position in 12 months then the virus has mutated/there is no vaccine and we’re all fucked. Basically see I am legend.