Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

Just now, Old_Johno said:

Which UK festivals are letting them roll over to the next year? I can’t find anything from my 5 minute google. Big weekend doesn’t seem to be and that’s actually a competition. 

Coachella is delayed, that one in Texas that cancelled hasn’t announced what their doing yet? Is there some cancellation website I don’t know about? 

Big weekend hadn’t even allocated tickets yet so that’s a moot point (it’s also free).

bearded theory, Kendal calling to name two off the top of my head. Pretty much every festival that has made a statement saying tickets can be kept whatever happens. 

It’s all well and good saying other festivals are doing it, but tickets to those festivals don’t get swept up in a mad half hour frenzy year in year out. Anybody who can’t understand that this years cancellation is totally out of the organisers hands and that next year will bring a new festival and new tickets with it is kidding themselves. The festival owes you nothing.

I am not looking for an argument here, but if anyone could please explain so I am on the same page as other people. 

How is it, honestly - that people can consider of these 2 possibilities 

“People that didn’t get a ticket for 2020, wouldn’t be able to go to a postponed 2021 because 2020 got cancelled”

”People that got a ticket to the cancelled 2020 lose their rights and have to re apply with the rest”

That the first one is genuinely more unfair than the second one? Like seriously. I absolutely cannot fathom it 

Edited by Waynolol

4 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Which UK festivals are letting them roll over to the next year? I can’t find anything from my 5 minute google. Big weekend doesn’t seem to be and that’s actually a competition. 

Coachella is delayed, that one in Texas that cancelled hasn’t announced what their doing yet? Is there some cancellation website I don’t know about? 

It’s irrelevant to Glastonbury which have and haven’t, but surely logic dictates for any other festival in the U.K. that it’s best to let tickets roll over? 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

It’s all well and good saying other festivals are doing it, but tickets to those festivals don’t get swept up in a mad half hour frenzy year in year out. Anybody who can’t understand that this years cancellation is totally out of the organisers hands and that next year will bring a new festival and new tickets with it is kidding themselves. The festival owes you nothing.

Irrelevant, really. The popularity of the festival will have no impact on the decision made. I would say people who think there is no chance they will offer something to ticket holders are 99% likely to not have a ticket. 

Easily the fairest and most sensible option is to offer something to current ticket holders.

5 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Big weekend hadn’t even allocated tickets yet so that’s a moot point (it’s also free).

bearded theory, Kendal calling to name two off the top of my head. Pretty much every festival that has made a statement saying tickets can be kept whatever happens. 

Bearded theory hasn’t cancelled, and has said it will honour tickets to a delayed event. 

1 minute ago, ModernMan said:

Irrelevant, really. The popularity of the festival will have no impact on the decision made. I would say people who think there is no chance they will offer something to ticket holders are 99% likely to not have a ticket. 

Easily the fairest and most sensible option is to offer something to current ticket holders.

Popularity is 100% relevant. Smaller festivals are 1 years cash flow away from going under, they can’t afford to annoy 100,000 punters.

Just now, jparx said:

Frankly if you're saying they 100% will or 100% won't, you're talking out of your arse.

None of us have a fucking clue. I'm arguing that I personally think they will, but there's absolutely the chance they won't.

Thank you! Putting aside how gutted I'll be if it is called off, I find the implications of it on the festival interesting, but people claiming it's 100% either way is ridiculous. Literally the only thing we have evidence for at this stage is that even they have no idea at this point!

15 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Absolutely

Comparing festivals which have little to no brand loyalty and rely entirely on the line up to sell tickets are obviously going to want to lock in people for next year, because there’s a high chance those people may not end up buying a ticket for next year if they wait to see next year’s lineup before doing so. Glastonbury doesn’t have that problem, so the comparison doesn’t hold up beyond the question of ethics.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

14 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

some are doing it because they don't really have another option. If everyone asked for their money back they'd be stuffed as they don't have the relevant cancellation insurance.

People are confusing what festivals are offering for postponed events with what they would offer if the event was cancelled... two different things. 

If Glasto is somehow miraculously postponed then the tickets will obviously carry over... if they cancel it completely for this year that is a whole different story. 

I was talking with a group of friends at the weekend, who tried for 2020 tickets and weren't successful, and they seemed genuinely surprised at the suggestion that current ticket holders wouldn't be given first refusal on tickets for next year. To them that seemed the obvious choice, even though they currently don't have tickets.

My personal take is that you'd gain more goodwill from some sort of rollover/presale than you'd get negative feedback. The group I was speaking with didn't even consider the option that tickets would be straight up refunded and a clean slate for 2021. I was arguing more for a clean slate than they were, and I want them to be rolled over!

Just my two cents from an admittedly small sample size.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No, and I’ve never said that 

Emily and her team will have bigger priorities in the current situation than the feelings of people who paid deposits in October - not least the health of the elderly gentleman who started the event we all want to celebrate 50 years of - but in the event they are kind enough to acknowledge that people have been looking forward to the festival and planned their years around it, beyond a simple refund and apology, there are ways you can do this without also 99% guaranteeing that people who missed out last October miss out again. Be it free tickets to the Pilton Party or the Abbey Extravaganza, a free copy of the 50 Years book, a special presale with say 30% of the tickets up for grabs, or something similar. You could even offer people a choice between all of those options.

The prevailing idea that people are ‘entitled’ to an automatic rollover, on the other hand, is nonsense. My main holiday for the year has been cancelled due to this virus but I wasn’t offered the exact same holiday for this time next year just because I’d booked annual leave and paid for transport to the airport, it’s obviously unfortunate but completely out of the company’s control and that’s life.

As I’ve said, there is every chance they may arrange an automatic rollover, because they’re good people, but anyone suggesting that anything less than a rollover would be some kind of dreadful injustice ought to get a sense of perspective I’m afraid. 

Well said that man.

Much more eloquent than I was trying to manage yesterday.

Of course every festival going is going to say it’s going ahead. The decision as to whether it goes ahead or not will come from the government not the festival.

I don’t see the logic in claiming that “X festival in June still says it’s going ahead, So Glastonbury is still going ahead” when really it’s not the festivals choice at all whether it goes ahead or not.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Of course every festival going is going to say it’s going ahead. The decision as to whether it goes ahead or not will come from the government not the festival.

I don’t see the logic in claiming that “X festival in June still says it’s going ahead, So Glastonbury is still going ahead” when really it’s not the festivals choice at all whether it goes ahead or not.

All they can say is “it’s business as usual until we are told otherwise” but realistically we know what’s coming...

They probably cannot cancel officially just yet for insurance/legal purposes. If the government bans large events up to and including June then it is unequivocally a force majeure event. If they don’t then you can bet someone somewhere will try and argue against it.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

All they can say is “it’s business as usual until we are told otherwise” but realistically we know what’s coming...

They probably cannot cancel officially just yet for insurance/legal purposes. If the government bans large events up to and including June then it is unequivocally a force majeure event. If they don’t then you can bet someone somewhere will try and argue against it.

I think my point was that some people are clinging onto the fact that some June festivals are proceeding as usual as some kind of confirmation that it is going to be fine by June.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They didn’t go to Glastonbury in 2020 so they missed out. As did those with tickets.

Sometimes shit things happen.

Yeah they do, and I would imagine that the people that missed out on tickets will understand that and look forward to attempting again when they’re next eligible