Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Quite a few more than would walk away and never come back having been given a refund for 2020, I’d wager, but who knows. 

Officially, sure, but in reality this scenario would make getting a ticket for 2021 as a non-2020 holder about as likely as the UK winning Eurovision. If people also missed out on 2019 then by 2022 it’ll have been at least five years since they were able to go. You could totally empathise with people just shrugging their shoulders and giving up.

So your take is that people who bought their ticket 5 months ago, and have since planned their holidays/summer around attending, in many cases spending a fair amount of money on doing so (transport, accomodation etc), should get the same treatment from the festival as people who didn't buy a ticket (including those who didn't even think about doing so), and who therefore aren't inconvenienced by the cancellation at all? If so I cannot understand that at all.

Almost every festival that has cancelled so far has offered to roll tickets over to next year. It's good for their finances too, of course, to be able to keep the money they've already got. Really don't see any reason why Glasto should or would do anything else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

So your take is that people who bought their ticket 5 months ago, and have since planned their holidays/summer around attending, in many cases spending a fair amount of money on doing so (transport, accomodation etc), should get the same treatment from the festival as people who didn't buy a ticket (including those who didn't even think about doing so), and who therefore aren't inconvenienced by the cancellation at all? If so I cannot understand that at all.

Almost every festival that has cancelled so far has offered to roll tickets over to next year. It's good for their finances too, of course, to be able to keep the money they've already got. Really don't see any reason why Glasto should or would do anything else.

completely agree. offer a refund to anybody who wants it, and October effectively becomes the re-sale. 

7 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Spot on.

10 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Couldn't have put it better myself - the only fair and sensible way for all concerned

I've been pondering this, and think giving current ticket holders first option on 2021 would be the fairest thing to do.  Those without tickets would still get a chance in October/April 'resales', as well as next month, if they still go ahead with balance payments.

We know how Glastonbury tickets are like gold dust, so for people to be lucky enough to buy a ticket to the next Glastonbury, make the relevant finance, travel and leave arrangements, but then effectively have that ticket taken away and given to someone else in October seems a bit harsh (I know that isn't strictly what's happening, but that's what it would feel like).

Many other festivals/businesses seem to be giving their customers a chance to move tickets/bookings to a later date.  Obviously there's an element of customer retention to that, but it also works as customer satisfaction.  Some people appear to be suggesting Glastonbury don't really need to try appease their current paying customers, because the festival is oversubscribed and therefore don't need to worry about customer loyalty.  I'm not sure Glastonbury are the types to take our loyalty for granted like that.

5 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Agree - as has been said if they could do this then they surely would every year anyway. 

The obvious solution to me would be to give 2020 ticket holders an exclusive presale or free tickets for the 2020 Pilton Party, with the announcement that one of the Pyramid/Other headliners from the cancelled fest will be appearing at it. That’d be a way of ensuring ticket holders felt ‘acknowledged’ without making the 2021 fest feel like a closed shop. Haven’t looked up the dates of who’d be available though. 

Yeah just give holders 1st refusal because then overseas etc are able to contact hotels etc and delay their staying dates if you can't recoup the money which I good fir them. I didn't get a ticket but I shouldn't benefit in a cancellation situation over someone that did for next year, my name should gi into a pot where there will inevitably be tickets available 

2 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Apologies if it’s been raised before on this thread or the other one.

If it gets cancelled completely, then the charities  who benefit from Glastonbury will miss out on their yearly donations.

Would the festival consider the following in the event of cancellation?

You can either receive your £50 deposit back or you can donate it to charities who benefit and get first refusal on a ticket for 2021.

I don't think this would be looked at too much if I'm honest 

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

No, and I’ve never said that 

Emily and her team will have bigger priorities in the current situation than the feelings of people who paid deposits in October - not least the health of the elderly gentleman who started the event we all want to celebrate 50 years of - but in the event they are kind enough to acknowledge that people have been looking forward to the festival and planned their years around it, beyond a simple refund and apology, there are ways you can do this without also 99% guaranteeing that people who missed out last October miss out again. Be it free tickets to the Pilton Party or the Abbey Extravaganza, a free copy of the 50 Years book, a special presale with say 30% of the tickets up for grabs, or something similar. You could even offer people a choice between all of those options.

The prevailing idea that people are ‘entitled’ to an automatic rollover, on the other hand, is nonsense. My main holiday for the year has been cancelled due to this virus but I wasn’t offered the exact same holiday for this time next year just because I’d booked annual leave and paid for transport to the airport, it’s obviously unfortunate but completely out of the company’s control and that’s life.

As I’ve said, there is every chance they may arrange an automatic rollover, because they’re good people, but anyone suggesting that anything less than a rollover would be some kind of dreadful injustice ought to get a sense of perspective I’m afraid. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Emily and her team will have bigger priorities in the current situation than the feelings of people who paid deposits in October - not least the health of the elderly gentleman who started the event we all want to celebrate 50 years of - but in the event they are kind enough to acknowledge that people have been looking forward to the festival and planned their years around it, beyond a simple refund and apology, there are ways you can do this without also 99% guaranteeing that people who missed out last October miss out again. Be it free tickets to the Pilton Party or the Abbey Extravaganza, a free copy of the 50 Years book, a special presale with say 30% of the tickets up for grabs, or something similar.

The prevailing idea that people are ‘entitled’ to an automatic rollover, on the other hand, is nonsense. My main holiday for the year has been cancelled due to this virus but I wasn’t offered the exact same holiday for this time next year just because I’d booked annual leave and paid for transport to the airport, it’s obviously unfortunate but completely out of the company’s control and that’s life.

As I’ve said, there is every chance they may arrange an automatic rollover, because they’re good people, but anyone suggesting that anything less than a rollover would be some kind of dreadful injustice ought to get a sense of perspective I’m afraid. 

Nailed it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Emily and her team will have bigger priorities in the current situation than the feelings of people who paid deposits in October - not least the health of the elderly gentleman who started the event we all want to celebrate 50 years of - but in the event they are kind enough to acknowledge that people have been looking forward to the festival and planned their years around it, there are ways you can do this without also 99% guaranteeing that people who missed out last October miss out again. Be it free tickets to the Pilton Party or the Abbey Extravaganza, a free copy of the 50 Years book, a special presale with say 30% of the tickets up for grabs, or something similar.

It’s a bit dramatic to say 99% miss out. It’s hard to get tickets full stop and many more miss out than get them, but there will still be thousands of tickets. The percentage of people who miss out because the ticket was taken by a 2020 ticket holder is still going to be tiny vs the amount of people trying who will fail anyway.

Wow. The entitlement on here, you haven’t earnt your ticket through years of hard graft, you paid for it and they will refund it. They don’t owe you anything, the festival would survive without you don’t worry, for everyone one ticket holder annoyed by this, there’s at least 5 more waiting to take that place at the drop of a hat

• Downvote 1

Just now, Old_Johno said:

Wow. The entitlement on here, you haven’t earnt your ticket through years of hard graft, you paid for it and they will refund it. They don’t owe you anything, the festival would survive without you don’t worry, for everyone one ticket holder annoyed by this, there’s at least 5 more waiting to take that place at the drop of a hat

Not really entitlement is it.

It is people who have paid a fortune for the festival for it to be cancelled, thinking if there may be a rollover. 

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Not really entitlement is it.

It is people who have paid a fortune for the festival for it to be cancelled, thinking if there may be a rollover. 

Entitlement: the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment. 

If they wanted to go hard then they don’t even have to refund everyone, you need events cancellation insurance on your own ticket for external forces cancelling something like this. Wouldn’t be a good look though. 

A refund would be expected, a rollover would be above and beyond. Anything in between is a nice gesture. 

9 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Entitlement: the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment. 

If they wanted to go hard then they don’t even have to refund everyone, you need events cancellation insurance on your own ticket for external forces cancelling something like this. Wouldn’t be a good look though. 

A refund would be expected, a rollover would be above and beyond. Anything in between is a nice gesture. 

Seems like quite a few other festivals are going above and beyond then!

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Agree with all the above.

We're in incredibly uncharted waters at this point so I can't say anything with a great deal of confidence, but I am as confident as I can be that they will do something for current ticket holders.

Given that one year the showers were cold instead of hot in the Tipi field, and all tipi dwellers got access to a pre-sale the following year, I'd say there's something of a precedent.

I was a lucky recipient and thought it was fucking ridiculous btw. Still took them up on the presale tho, I'm not mad.

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Seems like quite a few other festivals are going above and beyond then!

Which UK festivals are letting them roll over to the next year? I can’t find anything from my 5 minute google. Big weekend doesn’t seem to be and that’s actually a competition. 

Coachella is delayed, that one in Texas that cancelled hasn’t announced what their doing yet? Is there some cancellation website I don’t know about? 

1 minute ago, Old_Johno said:

Which UK festivals are letting them roll over to the next year? I can’t find anything from my 5 minute google. Big weekend doesn’t seem to be and that’s actually a competition. 

Coachella is delayed, that one in Texas that cancelled hasn’t announced what their doing yet? Is there some cancellation website I don’t know about? 

Kendal are doing it it seems. 

2 minutes ago, ogriff said:

Given that one year the showers were cold instead of hot in the Tipi field, and all tipi dwellers got access to a pre-sale the following year, I'd say there's something of a precedent.

I was a lucky recipient and thought it was fucking ridiculous btw. Still took them up on the presale tho, I'm not mad.

Oh that's interesting - didn't know that. 

I suppose, playing devil's advocate, that was something within their control that went wrong, whereas this is a freak event.

2 minutes ago, Old_Johno said:

Y Not have categorically said they will: https://ynotfestival.com/covid-19-update-y-not-is-staying-positive/