Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

18 hours ago, morph100 said:

Keep my deposit for next year, I’ll pay the balance April 2021 would be my preferred option now.

Seems the most logical solution but Twitter will explode, people who don’t have tickets won’t be happy.

13 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Seems the most logical solution but Twitter will explode, people who don’t have tickets won’t be happy.

Quite. You either disappoint however many ticket holders were still planning to go (not more than 70,000 I wouldn’t think), safe in the knowledge that most of them would accept it as being rotten circumstances beyond the organisers’ control, or you give the ~2m unsuccessful people reason to maybe become disullusioned and lose interest in going in the future.  Potentially risking the fest’s long term future.

If 2020 ticket holders are so desperate to go that a cancellation would upset them as much as has been suggested in this thread then they’re highly likely to try again in October anyway, no harm done. 

People who got tickets this year deserve priority. Still be some tickets left.

If those who got them this year have to pay balance, some won't cause they will think it is a waste of money so they'll be some left but ticket holders deserve priority over people who have made other plans. I and many others have spent a fortune for the festival, we kinda deserve something to soften the blow.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Quite. You either disappoint however many ticket holders were still planning to go (not more than 70,000 I wouldn’t think), safe in the knowledge that most of them would accept it as being rotten circumstances beyond the organisers’ control, or you give the ~2m unsuccessful people reason to maybe become disullusioned and lose interest in going in the future.  Potentially risking the fest’s long term future.

If 2020 ticket holders are so desperate to go that a cancellation would upset them as much as has been suggested in this thread then they’re highly likely to try again in October anyway, no harm done. 

Bizarre take. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Whatever they decide to do, I'm pretty certain most of the people who gets upset about it will still be trying for 2022 tickets

This is getting worse!

9 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Cheers. 
I can fully accept they might well end up organising a priority window - I voted as such - but from a business POV it makes no sense to alienate 95% of your potential customers to placate 5%. 

Yeah but how many of those 95% are going to be so alienated they never try for tickets again? 

8 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Cheers. 
I can fully accept they might well end up organising a priority window - I voted as such - but from a business POV it makes no sense to alienate 95% of your potential customers to placate 5%. 

2 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Whatever they decide to do, I'm pretty certain most of the people who gets upset about it will still be trying for 2022 tickets

Agree with thrillhouse on this point.

And, again, if you have a September presale, that leaves four windows for everyone else to try for the leftover tickets. So you're not strictly alienating anyone - they have the same number of opportunities for tickets as a normal year, just a smaller pool of them. If you completely shut out non 2020 ticket holders then I would totally understand, but that's not what is happening.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

And, again, if you have a September presale, that leaves four windows for everyone else to try for the leftover tickets. So you're not strictly alienating anyone - they have the same number of opportunities for tickets as a normal year, just a smaller pool of them. If you completely shut out non 2020 ticket holders then I would totally understand, but that's not what is happening.

Aye, it's easy talk about how hard it is to get a golden ticket. But if it were cancelled this year, and 2020 holders were given the opportunity to reserve a ticket for 2021 without refund, how many are actually going to take it? I'm sure a lot of people would prefer not to have the £260 tied up for an extra year. 

In fact if it were cancelled before balance payment (unlikely imo), how many would take the chance to still pay off the balance this year to secure a 2021 ticket? I suspect a lot more than usual would be left over

1 minute ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Aye, it's easy talk about how hard it is to get a golden ticket. But if it were cancelled this year, and 2020 holders were given the opportunity to reserve a ticket for 2021 without refund, how many are actually going to take it? I'm sure a lot of people would prefer not to have the £260 tied up for an extra year. 

In fact if it were cancelled before balance payment (unlikely imo), how many would take the chance to still pay off the balance this year to secure a 2021 ticket? I suspect a lot more than usual would be left over

Agree, think it’s the fairest option. There would be plenty of tickets and current ticket holders would have their chance to keep their ticket. 

17 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Also means Glasto have no option to hike the price up by £5 for 2021. Which given a cancellation and the money spent this year so far, is about the minimum increase we can hope for.

36 minutes ago, Fish Bulb said:

Out of interest - where have you got this figure from?

It's the reported figure for how many people are registered for tickets.  Lots of these will be duplicate registrations, people who've been once and have no interest in going again, people who registered when it was on telly but never bothered to actually try for tickets etc etc.  No-one knows (outside of seetickets and Glastonbury insiders) how many people actively try for tickets each year, I'd guess under 500k.

20 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Also means Glasto have no option to hike the price up by £5 for 2021. Which given a cancellation and the money spent this year so far, is about the minimum increase we can hope for.

Good point, although I suppose the extra could be paid off in the actual '21 payment window? 

Apologies if it’s been raised before on this thread or the other one.

If it gets cancelled completely, then the charities  who benefit from Glastonbury will miss out on their yearly donations.

Would the festival consider the following in the event of cancellation?

You can either receive your £50 deposit back or you can donate it to charities who benefit and get first refusal on a ticket for 2021.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

If it gets cancelled completely, then the charities  who benefit from Glastonbury will miss out on their yearly donations.

You can either receive your £50 deposit back or you can donate it to charities who benefit and get first refusal on a ticket for 2021.

I like that idea.

100% refund. Some interesting points on here though, I’m a bit late to the party. 

Whilst it would be easier for Glastonbury than other festivals glasto 20 and glasto 21 are seperate events, not like cancellinga gig but giving them tickets on the next stop of the tour. 

4 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Buying your way into the festival by those who can afford to drop £50 doesn’t seem very inkeeping with the vibe. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Interesting, although I guess would be seen as unfair to those who can't afford to part with the extra £50?

1 hour ago, HS94 said:

Yeah but how many of those 95% are going to be so alienated they never try for tickets again? 

Quite a few more than would walk away and never come back having been given a refund for 2020, I’d wager, but who knows. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Officially, sure, but in reality this scenario would make getting a ticket for 2021 as a non-2020 holder about as likely as the UK winning Eurovision. If people also missed out on 2019 then by 2022 it’ll have been at least five years since they were able to go. You could totally empathise with people just shrugging their shoulders and giving up.

17 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Not keen on that specific idea - but the London Marathon offer unsuccessful applicants the opportunity to sacrifice their deposit in exchange for a jacket, it’d be a nice touch if Glastonbury could do something similar. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy