Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

40 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

If you let people keep their option to buy for a later festival i think youd be at 90% or more. Who would give up a glastonbury ticket just to get back £50 now and the chance to maybe possibly get a chance to buy in future

The unknown factor there is how many people are about to lose their jobs...

16 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Surely you know how all the different Glastonbury sales work though? There are four different sales plus worthy view camper van passes, car park tickets, they’re all linked to your reg number.

The balance payment window is in a few weeks, people have week to login and pay their balance, some do some don't, those that don’t get their deposit back minus a fee to cover any costs, that happens every year.

In the campervan ticket sale you can’t buy a ticket if your registration number is linked to a coach ticket - so it’s very easy to link the numbers to different scenarios.

So given all that, we pay our balances in a few weeks... then it’s cancelled, so it’s inconceivable to you that they couldn’t as an example have what would be like another balance payment window, you just login within the window and tick a box to say if you want a refund, or do you want it to roll over? For those who want a refund they’d process the refund in the exact same way as they do after the normal balance window, they’d deduct the same amount to cover the cost of it all anyway.

FWIW I don’t think they’d do this, but there is precedent for them doing very similar versions of effectively what is the same thing multiple times every year 

You may be right. I think whatever happens in whatever situation, you can never second guess Glasto. #thereisnopattern. 

I do think it's going to be cancelled though 😕

I'd imagine tickets would be valid for next years event, an 'original tickets remain valid' scenario that happens when a gig changes venue/date, but that people would be able to apply for a refund at a certain point, doesn't seem like the thing Glastonbury/The Eavis's would do, just cancelling everyones tickets.

2 Glastonbury’s next year, one for 2020 ticket holders, one for people who didn’t get tickets this year.

the second would be open to everyone, the first not.( other than a normal resale)

Edited by Smeble
  • Upvote 1

This thread is slowly looking a lot more relevant than the ‘will it go ahead’ thread - almost certain the festival isn’t going ahead at this point.

I think they’ll either rearrange (less likely) or let tickets roll over to next year (more likely), no way will they cancel all tickets.

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

2 Glastonbury’s next year, one for 2020 ticket holders, one for people who didn’t get tickets this year.

the second would be open to everyone, the first not.( other than a normal resale)

Don't think that's impossible. 2020 festival rescheduled for June 2020, 2021 festival scheduled in for July/August 2021.

Realistically I think we'll get refunded and if we're very lucky there will be a sale of maybe 10K tickets before general sale in October just for those of us who had tickets this year.

39 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Don't think that's impossible. 2020 festival rescheduled for June 2020, 2021 festival scheduled in for July/August 2021.

Realistically I think we'll get refunded and if we're very lucky there will be a sale of maybe 10K tickets before general sale in October just for those of us who had tickets this year.

Just have the 2020 festival and the 2021 festival on consecutive weekends, all the 2020 people out on the Monday, couple of days to clean up and then 2021 people in on the Wednesday. 

Would probably work out better for the people who didn’t get tickets for 2020 as there would probably be less 2020 ticket holders trying in the 2021 sale (I certainly wouldn’t be able to get childcare for a baby and a toddler for two 5 day weekends in a row so wouldn’t be able to do both)

29 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Just have the 2020 festival and the 2021 festival on consecutive weekends, all the 2020 people out on the Monday, couple of days to clean up and then 2021 people in on the Wednesday. 

Would probably work out better for the people who didn’t get tickets for 2020 as there would probably be less 2020 ticket holders trying in the 2021 sale (I certainly wouldn’t be able to get childcare for a baby and a toddler for two 5 day weekends in a row so wouldn’t be able to do both)

They’d probably already do something like that if they could, to satisfy demand. Alas, it’s too big an operation to do twice and the ground would be absolutely paggered after weekend one.

18 hours ago, DeadAmos said:

Just a quick calculation but if everyone paid the balence off it comes to about 37 mill , with nothing to offset it against (the festival) it would be liable for tax, even the deposits alone come 6.75 m , that is why I can see all moneys been refunded , but it is up to the festival if they offer "this years ticket holders"  an option to a guarrenteed  tickets for next year , and nobody on this forum knows what the festival will do

As an accountant and auditor, I would assume that if the event was to get cancelled or postponed with the option of allowing people to hold their deposits to next year, there would be no tax implication due to the funds being related to an event in a completely different tax year. The funds won’t be chargeable for corporation tax purposes and would be classed as a liability on the balance sheet as deferred income with a disclosure requirement in line with post balance sheet events policy. 

14 hours ago, thewayiam said:

but they won't hold two events.

Agree - as has been said if they could do this then they surely would every year anyway. 

The obvious solution to me would be to give 2020 ticket holders an exclusive presale or free tickets for the 2020 Pilton Party, with the announcement that one of the Pyramid/Other headliners from the cancelled fest will be appearing at it. That’d be a way of ensuring ticket holders felt ‘acknowledged’ without making the 2021 fest feel like a closed shop. Haven’t looked up the dates of who’d be available though. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Agree - as has been said if they could do this then they surely would every year anyway. 

The obvious solution to me would be to give 2020 ticket holders an exclusive presale or free tickets for the 2020 Pilton Party, with the announcement that one of the Pyramid/Other headliners from the cancelled fest will be appearing at it. That’d be a way of ensuring ticket holders felt ‘acknowledged’ without making the 2021 fest feel like a closed shop. Haven’t looked up the dates of who’d be available though. 

Pilton Party is more or less a thank you to the local community so no chance of that I would say. 

On 3/15/2020 at 9:27 AM, doogie said:

Due to the financial hit from cancelling, they should offer existing ticketholders two options:

1. Refund of deposit and no priority for 2021

2. No refund of deposit and priority window for 2021

Surely if they keep people’s deposits then that means they have a ticket for 2021? Otherwise what’s the deposit for?