Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

As a non ticket holder, I think the best outcome here is to offer current ticket holders a full refund with the option to secure their ticket again in October in advance of the general sale. As much as I would like the tickets to go back into the pot and hence increase my chances of securing one, I don't think it's fair really.

I had a ticket for Ard Rock last year, which was cancelled due to the flooding in Swaledale. Tickets for that sell out in seconds, and they offered all ticket holders the opportunity to keep their ticket for this year's event. I think Glastonbury will take the same approach.

• Upvote 3

Here's a purely theoretical question. If a cancellation placed GFL in such a serious financial position that liquidation was a real risk, would you forego your deposit refund from this year to help them survive? By doing so, this would secure you a guaranteed ticket for 2021 (which you'd have to pay for in full in the usual manner)

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Here's a purely theoretical question. If a cancellation placed GFL in such a serious financial position that liquidation was a real risk, would you forego your deposit refund from this year to help them survive? By doing so, this would secure you a guaranteed ticket for 2021 (which you'd have to pay for in full in the usual manner)

Yes I would. Hell I’d forego the whole ticket price.

Edited by Hugh Jass

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

For sure.

29 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

As a non ticket holder, I think the best outcome here is to offer current ticket holders a full refund with the option to secure their ticket again in October in advance of the general sale. As much as I would like the tickets to go back into the pot and hence increase my chances of securing one, I don't think it's fair really.

I had a ticket for Ard Rock last year, which was cancelled due to the flooding in Swaledale. Tickets for that sell out in seconds, and they offered all ticket holders the opportunity to keep their ticket for this year's event. I think Glastonbury will take the same approach.

This is the fairest way although I'm obviously in the same boat of all going back in.

23 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Think about your target audience with this question, you’re asking a forum dedicated to festivals on a threat frequented by Glasto-lovers! Who wouldn’t!

I think if you asked a lot of people outside this forum, they wouldn’t be too happy about doing it.

Primavera is allegedly about to postpone until the last weekend in August.

artist availability aside (some could reschedule, some won’t) can we not just have a festival on say 19-24 August?

given all the goodwill glastonbury has with artists i think they’d pull it off no problem. Obviously behind the scenes it would be a lot of work to get there, but its certainly possible

Edited by Memory Man

1 minute ago, Jack.194 said:

Think about your target audience with this question, you’re asking a forum dedicated to festivals on a threat frequented by Glasto-lovers! Who wouldn’t!

I think if you asked a lot of people outside this forum, they wouldn’t be too happy about doing it.

Yeah, fair point. I wonder what the percentage of people who would defer their deposit would be. 50%? More or less? 

1 minute ago, Memory Man said:

artist availability aside (some could reschedule, some won’t) can we not just have a festival on say 19-24 August?

given all the goodwill glastonbury has with artists i think they’d pull it off no problem. Obviously behind the scenes it would be difficult but its certainly possible

They might have just enough time to co-ordinate a date shift but I think they'd need to make that call almost immediately. A logistical nightmare for them, though. 

5 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

given all the goodwill glastonbury has with artists i think they’d pull it off no problem. Obviously behind the scenes it would be a lot of work to get there, but its certainly possible

I think it's something they're looking at, and the headliners are all currently available at that point, but the issue that's been raised is the land since they don't own all of it, and it's obviously farmland.

Unprecedented times call for unprecedented solutions though, so who knows?

3 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yeah, fair point. I wonder what the percentage of people who would defer their deposit would be. 50%? More or less? 

I think more, even outside of the forum people understand how high in demand Glastonbury is, and £50 isn’t an outrageous amount to be out of pocked for, for a year

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I think it's something they're looking at, and the headliners are all currently available at that point, but the issue that's been raised is the land since they don't own all of it, and it's obviously farmland.

Thats a fair point. Its £45 per car park ticket tho! Biggest payday of the year for the land owners surely

10 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

No because my friend is getting married that weekend 

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think the farmland thing is probably a bit overblown as a potential problem. From what I’ve seen over the years (I may be wrong) the fields you park in, the CV fields, they aren’t crops of any kind they’re just grass. So they’ll just presumably house livestock. They find a home for this livestock in and around the month of festival, so no reason they couldn’t at any other point.

To further add to that point it’s often said that the main problem for surrounding farmers is that they can’t do anything to develop the land while Glastonbury exists, hence why they charge them as much as possible so you’d assume as they can’t do much with it they’ll want their cash one way or another.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

I love the idea that people think 

Liverpool will be given a league title they didn’t win 

The 50th Glastonbury is going to be full of people that initially didn’t get a ticket, whilst those that did end up not being able to go

Neither will happen; both are bizzare outcomes almost solely perpetuated by Liverpool fans and ticketless people, both clinging onto theories for their own gain when neither make sense at all. 

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

As you’d expect. Yet according to some on here that’s a totally unusual and/or administratively impossible result.

5 minutes ago, Waynolol said:

I love the idea that people think 

Liverpool will be given a league title they didn’t win 

The 50th Glastonbury is going to be full of people that initially didn’t get a ticket, whilst those that did end up not being able to go

Neither will happen; both are bizzare outcomes almost solely perpetuated by Liverpool fans and ticketless people, both clinging onto theories for their own gain when neither make sense at all. 

It's not the 50th Glastonbury - it's the 50th anniversary of Glastonbury. If it next takes place in 2021 then it will be the 51st anniversary of Glastonbury. We haven't bought a ticket to Glastonbury 2021.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, dentalplan said:

It's not the 50th Glastonbury - it's the 50th anniversary of Glastonbury. If it next takes place in 2021 then it will be the 51st anniversary of Glastonbury. We haven't bought a ticket to Glastonbury 2021.

The point still stands, it’s genuinely concerning that people are rabidly saying that’s gonna be the outcome. 

If cancelled I think a pre-sale for those with deposits paid a week before general sales or offered a refund to go in the main pot.

Mine would have to probably go back as I wanted to do something different next year and only limited to a few days a year away from home and my age I probably won't go again 

I can see this being the fairest outcome. There would be quite a few going back in I expect 

I do believe that it will be called next week as everything is being shut down rapidly now and is on a roller coaster at the min.

I'd rather know sooner than later if that has to happen .I also think it's the most sensible thing to do.. resources are at breaking point and un necessary entertainment take least priority over the welfare of the population 

11 minutes ago, Waynolol said:

The point still stands, it’s genuinely concerning that people are rabidly saying that’s gonna be the outcome. 

It doesn't still stand. You're suggesting that people are saying they won't be able to attend the edition of the festival that they've bought tickets for.

Nobody was calling anyone else delusional or creating divide until you dropped by. Nobody actually knows what's going to happen, but as the thread title says it's about opinions on what will happen - which we are giving.