Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Most people are saying they should just null and void the league. They don’t have to give Liverpool the title and they don’t have to promote Leeds and WBA. And they can’t just change their rules they need agreement from all the clubs 

I'm not sure that's true - outside of karren brady and a few other oddballs. Fair point on the club vote - but I think this is more a serendipitous occurance that there's an easy option that keeps everyone happy and avoids legal challenges. I don't really see how it's comparable to the glastonbury situation, they can't change consumer law or financial realities or whatever because all the festival organisersall agree on it.

1 hour ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Fair enough - don't have any to hand, but you're assuming the refund would be opt-in when it could be opt-out

EDIT - US Festival rather than UK but pretty much doing exactly what you describe https://somethinginthewater.com/

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Well that's fair then. I wasn't seeing any evidence of this happening until you've shown me that and so I guess it can be something that's done somewhere in the world.

Because we don't know, but we're all just here making predictions and assumptions and normally that's what happens.

Ultra did the same thing before Something In The Water canceled. Except the organizers at Ultra are very shady and sneaky. They didnt even publicly announce what they were going to do. Just had to find this update in the middle of the night.

CA6EE0DD-2B04-4FDA-AD3A-0BCA4C8230A4.jpeg

Edited by Suprefan

Currently they've only taken a deposit for a ticket, you purchase the ticket the first week in april (payment window) or in the resale on the 16 or 19 April. 

It maybe that the decision is made for them if the government call for a lockdown. 

Logistically the simplest thing would to cancel & refund deposits and treat 2020 as a fallow year.

However financial outlays already made may be significantly high enough to kill the festival off altogether....

9 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

I'm not sure that's true - outside of karren brady and a few other oddballs. Fair point on the club vote - but I think this is more a serendipitous occurance that there's an easy option that keeps everyone happy and avoids legal challenges. I don't really see how it's comparable to the glastonbury situation, they can't change consumer law or financial realities or whatever because all the festival organisersall agree on it.

I’m on a few football forums and most fans are saying that it should just be null and void because nobody will have fulfilled their fixtures.

Technically that’s true and if they can’t fulfil the fixtures then technically the competition is null and void, but they are looking to try and balance a number of interests and keep as any people as possible happy so I do think it’s directly comparable.

23 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The premier league clubs have been talking about giving the league to Liverpool, no clubs being relegated and Leeds and WBA promoted. None of the clubs involved have technically earned it or fulfilled their obligations, but they're looking at putting the technicalities to one side and using common sense to get to the fairest possible outcome.

Glastonbury will look to do the same, irrespective of all the meaningless technicalities and perceived red tape and admin.

Works for me.

26 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The premier league clubs have been talking about giving the league to Liverpool, no clubs being relegated and Leeds and WBA promoted. None of the clubs involved have technically earned it or fulfilled their obligations, but they're looking at putting the technicalities to one side and using common sense to get to the fairest possible outcome.

Glastonbury will look to do the same, irrespective of all the meaningless technicalities and perceived red tape and admin.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Works for me.

works for me too

2 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

Currently they've only taken a deposit for a ticket, you purchase the ticket the first week in april (payment window) or in the resale on the 16 or 19 April. 

It maybe that the decision is made for them if the government call for a lockdown. 

Logistically the simplest thing would to cancel & refund deposits and treat 2020 as a fallow year.

However financial outlays already made may be significantly high enough to kill the festival off altogether....

I think we know all the technicalities, but the discussion really is about what they will do in reality. It may just a be a full refund and start again and that will certainly be easier, but that’s ignoring the fact that they will not consider 2020 ticket holders in any way.

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m on a few football forums and most fans are saying that it should just be null and void because nobody will have fulfilled their fixtures.

Technically that’s true and if they can’t fulfil the fixtures then technically the competition is null and void, but they are looking to try and balance a number of interests and keep as any people as possible happy so I do think it’s directly comparable.

Who loses out in the decision they've made though? Seems like an absolute win-win to me. No-one gets relegated and more games next season to recoup ticket losses this season.

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

Who loses out in the decision they've made though? Seems like an absolute win-win to me. No-one gets relegated and more games next season to recoup ticket losses this season.

Any team in the play offs and it’s also feasible for teams to have caught Leeds and WBA. Also depending on how they allocate CL spots a few teams might have been able to get into the top 4/5 in the remaining games. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

It's an assumption that is based upon what other festivals do when they cancel for a year and come back the following one. I imagine it's just better to treat each festival as a different one. 

I mean, what if Glastonbury 2021 gets cancelled for something unrelated but similarly unpredictable? Are the people who put a deposit down in October 2019 then having to opt-out of their ticket rolling over to Glastonbury 2022?

I think the Euros are just supposed to be guaranteeing tickets for 2021 with an opt-out but that is a delay of the same event and there wouldn't have already been a Euro 2021 so pretty different.

What if your arms burst?

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Any team in the play offs and it’s also feasible for teams to have caught Leeds and WBA. Also depending on how they allocate CL spots a few teams might have been able to get into the top 4/5 in the remaining games. 

Other teams in the playoffs don't really factor in as they don't have any decision to make. For the second point, we're assuming that the season is cancelled - I imagine that there'll be plenty of clubs lobbying to have the season postponed.

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Nobody really knows how oversubscribed they are. Plenty of people were registered in 2008, but it didn't sell out (they might have shifted all the tickets, but not through traditional means). Given that registration lasts for years and the technical means that have been used to try to obtain tickets, it's very hard to tell how many tickets would actually sell if there was an infinite number available. The Eavii have had a brush with market disaster before and likely won't be taking anything for granted in terms of demand, especially as this external disaster will likely have eaten into their buffer.

I've no idea what their thought processes are and whether they're more likely to carry over the tickets or not, but I don't think they take the festivals good position for granted for one minute, especially not when things go sideways like year.

4X is a of course a guess, as it always will be for anyone trying to work it out. I personally think it could be higher just based on the people I know in the broader sense, friends of friends, work colleagues etc who miss out. I always know far more people who failed than were successful.

I agree they will never want to take their popularity for granted, that’s why I always disagree when you get the inevitable raft of posts about the system being unfair after ticket day, suggesting all sorts of convoluted systems. It’s never going to be in their interests to make it harder for people to get tickets. That’s why I think it won’t be a straightforward and easy thing for them and they’ll be weighing that up against keeping us with tickets happy.

If we somehow get to the point of paying balances that will give them an idea on how much popularity could be impacted. If roughly normal numbers pay the balance, that probably won’t help much because we still don’t know what state the world will be in October and how that in itself will impact popularity. If balance payments are well down that might help them to make a decision to favour 2020 ticket holders.

7 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Other teams in the playoffs don't really factor in as they don't have any decision to make. For the second point, we're assuming that the season is cancelled - I imagine that there'll be plenty of clubs lobbying to have the season postponed.

Don’t see postponement being an option unless you shorten next season, so why fuck two seasons

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

4X is a of course a guess, as it always will be for anyone trying to work it out. I personally think it could be higher just based on the people I know in the broader sense, friends of friends, work colleagues etc who miss out. I always know far more people who failed than were successful.

I agree they will never want to take their popularity for granted, that’s why I always disagree when you get the inevitable raft of posts about the system being unfair after ticket day, suggesting all sorts of convoluted systems. It’s never going to be in their interests to make it harder for people to get tickets. That’s why I think it won’t be a straightforward and easy thing for them and they’ll be weighing that up against keeping us with tickets happy.

If we somehow get to the point of paying balances that will give them an idea on how much popularity could be impacted. If roughly normal numbers pay the balance, that probably won’t help much because we still don’t know what state the world will be in October and how that in itself will impact popularity. If balance payments are well down that might help them to make a decision to favour 2020 ticket holders.

I suspect they will be down. I'm wobbling. I don't fancy killing my mother in law because I fancied getting fucked in a field for five days.

We could really do with a separate football thread instead of hijacking this thread but I’ll make my point

As we have played 80% of the season, if no more games are able to be played this season then we should take the current positions for all leagues as they stand. 

A lot could change, a lot couldn’t. Liverpool are all but guaranteed the title. Leeds and WBA are comfortable at the top of the league. Both leagues aren’t decided mathematically but statistically likely to be the final results. 

In Formula 1, if a race has to be abandoned, if it has completed 75% of the race distance then the result stands. 

I don’t think there’s any precedence in football for this, if there is it’s likely to be during either of the world wars. 

I don’t know what the official rules say either but can any fan argue that Liverpool, WBA or Leeds haven’t earned the position they are in? 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don’t know what the official rules say either but can any fan argue that Liverpool, WBA or Leeds haven’t earned the position they are in? 

Nope they can't, but they can argue that there is no guarantee of anything and even if for two games you can't see what's going to happen. The same arguement could be said that if a team at the bottom can still get out but it would take a lot to go their way to do so....is it fair to relegate them if they have a chance. We play 38 games because every one of them can count. It would be extremely harsh but I'd not be surprised if the season just starts again next year as a fresh with no teams up and no teams down.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Nope they can't, but they can argue that there is no guarantee of anything and even if for two games you can't see what's going to happen. The same arguement could be said that if a team at the bottom can still get out but it would take a lot to go their way to do so....is it fair to relegate them if they have a chance. We play 38 games because every one of them can count. It would be extremely harsh but I'd not be surprised if the season just starts again next year as a fresh with no teams up and no teams down.

Not happening 

26745944-147B-492C-83A5-15DE0CA871CA.jpeg