Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

Refund all tickets and a presale in September for those who previously had tickets would be my move if I were in charge. It would give the ticketless essentially two resale windows, in October and again in April, so while no general sale for them it still gives a few more bites at the cherry. They would still get four attempts at tickets, just a smaller pool of them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

But why haven't the other cancelled festivals that do this just do the same? I would be quite sure it's not legal. 

But they have, haven't they? These threads are way too long for me to find them now but there's been at least one or two festivals postponing or carrying over tickets for those that want to. As long as they offered a refund for those that apply I can't see what would make it illegal?

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

But they have, haven't they? These threads are way too long for me to find them now but there's been at least one or two festivals postponing or carrying over tickets for those that want to. As long as they offered a refund for those that apply I can't see what would make it illegal?

Perfectly legal as long as they give a refund as an option. It’s not exactly unusual to pay in advance for goods or services that you may not receive for a while 

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

@dentaIpIan It is legal if the customer/ticket holder wants to do that , but they must offer a refund if they don't

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

The only ones I've seen have been the small fests linked on eFests that said "refunds will be made" or "refunds are available, as is the opportunity to retain your ticket" but, despite the vagueness, I would think the opportunity is to buy it again after refund.

I would change my tune if somebody would show me a website of a festival that has cancelled 2020 and has just said that it's going to happen in 2021 now and people must act before a certain time if they want their money back for this massive change to what they bought.

2 minutes ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

If it were to be held later in the year then it’s a reschedule and all existing tickets will be valid.

If it’s not rescheduled and the next Glastonbury is June 2021 then the 2020 will be a cancellation and all tickets refunded. 

That’s just what I imagine you will happen. 

Yeah this is what I'm thinking, and I'm thinking option 1 is a no-go.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I would change my tune if somebody would show me a website of a festival that has cancelled 2020 and has just said that it's going to happen in 2021 now and people must act before a certain time if they want their money back for this massive change to what they bought.

Fair enough - don't have any to hand, but you're assuming the refund would be opt-in when it could be opt-out

EDIT - US Festival rather than UK but pretty much doing exactly what you describe https://somethinginthewater.com/

Edited by Garrett_Salas

1 minute ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Fair enough - don't have any to hand, but you're assuming the refund would be opt-in when it could be opt-out

It's an assumption that is based upon what other festivals do when they cancel for a year and come back the following one. I imagine it's just better to treat each festival as a different one. 

I mean, what if Glastonbury 2021 gets cancelled for something unrelated but similarly unpredictable? Are the people who put a deposit down in October 2019 then having to opt-out of their ticket rolling over to Glastonbury 2022?

I think the Euros are just supposed to be guaranteeing tickets for 2021 with an opt-out but that is a delay of the same event and there wouldn't have already been a Euro 2021 so pretty different.

16 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

EDIT - US Festival rather than UK but pretty much doing exactly what you describe https://somethinginthewater.com/

Well that's fair then. I wasn't seeing any evidence of this happening until you've shown me that and so I guess it can be something that's done somewhere in the world.

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

but why? other than it's cleaner in everyone's mind. Maybe there are financial/tax/legal reasons why they have to but no one has really put forward any of these in any convincing manner. 

Because we don't know, but we're all just here making predictions and assumptions and normally that's what happens.

30 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

The one thing that may sway the festival is no body actually has a ticket , people who were lucky in October did not buy a ticket , what they bought was an option to purchase a ticket

I personally think that’s a technicality that won’t factor into their thinking about what to do in any way at all.

but why? other than it's cleaner in everyone's mind. Maybe there are financial/tax/legal reasons why they have to but no one has really put forward any of these in any convincing manner. 

Just a quick calculation but if everyone paid the balence off it comes to about 37 mill , with nothing to offset it against (the festival) it would be liable for tax, even the deposits alone come 6.75 m , that is why I can see all moneys been refunded , but it is up to the festival if they offer "this years ticket holders"  an option to a guarrenteed  tickets for next year , and nobody on this forum knows what the festival will do

Just now, DeadAmos said:

Just a quick calculation but if everyone paid the balence off it comes to about 37 mill , with nothing to offset it against (the festival) it would be liable for tax, even the deposits alone come 6.75 m , that is why I can see all moneys been refunded , but it is up to the festival if they offer "this years ticket holders"  an option to a guarrenteed  tickets for next year , and nobody on this forum knows what the festival will do

Could be completely wrong here - not an accountant - but I think in instances like this you could push the tax to the following year

4 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Could be completely wrong here - not an accountant - but I think in instances like this you could push the tax to the following year

not an accountant either so you may be right , but which option the festival decides on it will upset some people and could cause ME and EE an awful lot of grief , which will be totally undeserved as they put on the best parties in the world

The premier league clubs have been talking about giving the league to Liverpool, no clubs being relegated and Leeds and WBA promoted. None of the clubs involved have technically earned it or fulfilled their obligations, but they're looking at putting the technicalities to one side and using common sense to get to the fairest possible outcome.

Glastonbury will look to do the same, irrespective of all the meaningless technicalities and perceived red tape and admin.

1 minute ago, DeadAmos said:

not an accountant either so you may be right , but which option the festival decides on it will upset some people and could cause ME and EE an awful lot of grief , which will be totally undeserved as they put on the best parties in the world

Agreed - whilst I have a pretty firm view on what I think is more fair to do, the festival should do whatever it needs to. My honest feeling right now is that coronavirus is going to be so disruptive and, frankly, horrible that people are not going to have much anger in them to aim at people running a music festival.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The premier league clubs have been talking about giving the league to Liverpool, no clubs being relegated and Leeds and WBA promoted. None of the clubs involved have technically earned it or fulfilled their obligations, but they're looking at putting the technicalities to one side and using common sense to get to the fairest possible outcome.

Glastonbury will look to do the same, irrespective of all the meaningless technicalities and perceived red tape and admin.

It's apples and oranges. The premier league literally can change their rules as they want, besides the overwhelming likelihood is that they're doing this purely because of red tape - there'd be almost certainly legal action from any of the relegated clubs.

It's apples and oranges. The premier league literally can change their rules as they want, besides the overwhelming likelihood is that they're doing this purely because of red tape - there'd be almost certainly legal action from any of the relegated clubs.

Most people are saying they should just null and void the league. They don’t have to give Liverpool the title and they don’t have to promote Leeds and WBA. And they can’t just change their rules they need agreement from all the clubs 

2 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They are though aren’t they, very different. No festival really sells out, let alone being maybe as a minimum 4X oversubscribed.

That said I've been less and less convinced that it’s really such a big issue for anybody who didn’t get a ticket for 2020 who wants one for 2021. If they do a presale they don’t need to make a big deal of it and give actual numbers. Nobody actually needs to know how many tickets there are left in the general sale to them get annoyed about it.

Nobody really knows how oversubscribed they are. Plenty of people were registered in 2008, but it didn't sell out (they might have shifted all the tickets, but not through traditional means). Given that registration lasts for years and the technical means that have been used to try to obtain tickets, it's very hard to tell how many tickets would actually sell if there was an infinite number available. The Eavii have had a brush with market disaster before and likely won't be taking anything for granted in terms of demand, especially as this external disaster will likely have eaten into their buffer.

I've no idea what their thought processes are and whether they're more likely to carry over the tickets or not, but I don't think they take the festivals good position for granted for one minute, especially not when things go sideways like this year.

Edited by stuartbert two hats