Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

7 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Basically their just after your cash and want to hold on to it. They're not being generous millions of quid gives liquidity and earns high in interest.

I assume that the interest they make is why they decided not to alter the price for next year. Swings and roundabouts 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Nine pages and I’ve still to see a ‘I spoke to someone close to the festival and such and such will happen’ comment!   Must be a record!

Everyone’s too busy self isolating!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t think they can keep our deposits, legally. First-refusal would be such an easier prospect and what I imagine other festivals will do.

edit: but the easiest and fairest option would be fresh sale for 2021 with no dibs

Other Fests and events are promising tickets will be valid for the rearranged event/next year so yeah, maybe it’ll be a first refusal thing. I’d be surprised if they just did a refund though. Oversubscribed or not, the Eavis’ have always seemed massively appreciative of those who actually plunk their cash down. I don’t think they’d want to be seen to be taking the success of the festival for granted by saying ‘nope, don’t need you’.

11 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Other Fests and events are promising tickets will be valid for the rearranged event/next year so yeah, maybe it’ll be a first refusal thing. I’d be surprised if they just did a refund though. Oversubscribed or not, the Eavis’ have always seemed massively appreciative of those who actually plunk their cash down. I don’t think they’d want to be seen to be taking the success of the festival for granted by saying ‘nope, don’t need you’.

But they would be effectively saying that to the 2.2 million other people registered to try for tickets

which way they decide on this issue is going to upset lots of people and I wouldn't like to have to make the call ,

Edited by DeadAmos

So, you've got financial problems piling up around you because you've had to cancel the festival for a year and your two choices are (A) pretty much a guaranteed sell out already for next year (minus some people asking for refunds) or (B) start the whole process again in what is most probably going to be a recession by that point. Add to that the fact that many on here think it's fairer to the people with tickets to carry them over and it's an absolute no-brainer if you ask me. The festival is run by good people but they're not a charity.

Also, they're not as different to every other festival that is doing this as people seem to think they are.

Edited by bombfrog

6 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

So, you've got financial problems piling up around you because you've had to cancel the festival for a year and your two choices are (A) pretty much a guaranteed sell out already for next year (minus some people asking for refunds) or (B) start the whole process again in what is most probably going to be a recession by that point. Add to that the fact that many on here think it's fairer to the people with tickets to carry them over and it's an absolute no-brainer if you ask me. The festival is run by good people but they're not a charity.

Also, they're not as different to every other festival that is doing this as people seem to think they are.

It’ll sell out next year regardless of what they decide. 

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

They are though aren’t they, very different. No festival really sells out, let alone being maybe as a minimum 4X oversubscribed.

That said I've been less and less convinced that it’s really such a big issue for anybody who didn’t get a ticket for 2020 who wants one for 2021. If they do a presale they don’t need to make a big deal of it and give actual numbers. Nobody actually needs to know how many tickets there are left in the general sale to them get annoyed about it.

1 minute ago, henry bear said:

Perhaps a fair way would be not to carry over the tickets to 2021, but to give current ticket holders a small window on ticket day to have first dibs over everyone else. I'm only talking 35-40 minutes. :)

Problem with that is that everyone will just try and get on the ticket screen first regardless. 

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It’ll sell out next year regardless of what they decide. 

This is one of those things that people on here seems to say quite often but it's simply not true.

The last time we had a major recession the festival didn't sell out and although it's likely I doubt the festival ever take it for granted.

Of course every year it's difficult to get tickets and some of us don't get them, the Eavii always trot out this like that there's a million people trying to get tickets etc. etc. But did you ever stop to think that those statistics might not be completely true? ME exaggerates every time he opens his mouth and he's very good at marketing, but we all know that a million people aren't trying to buy tickets because we've polled on here and amongst friends who don't use the forum often and we know that WAY more than than 10% of people who try for tickets get to them.

Add to this the fact that recent years haven't been in the middle of a recession and I think only a fool would assume that next yer will automatically sell out and Michael and Emily are not fools.

29 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

But they would be effectively saying that to the 2.2 million other people registered to try for tickets

which way they decide on this issue is going to upset lots of people and I wouldn't like to have to make the call ,

Of course, but their choice is whether to upset ‘actual customers’ or ‘possible customers’

It does actually say on the website "no refunds will be made other than in the event of the cancellation of the Festival", which lets on that if the festival is cancelled then you will be refunded. I'm pretty sure they can't 'delay' the festival until 2021 and say the ticket is the same unless you want a refund. It's possible that they do some special circumstances for a presale but I don't think it's all that likely - we aren't owed a festival.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

It does actually say on the website "no refunds will be made other than in the event of the cancellation of the Festival", which lets on that if the festival is cancelled then you will be refunded. I'm pretty sure they can't 'delay' the festival until 2021 and say the ticket is the same unless you want a refund. It's possible that they do some special circumstances for a presale but I don't think it's all that likely - we aren't owed a festival.

pretty sure it says that as a legal requirement

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Nobody is suggesting that they won't honour refunds for those that want them, just that it makes financial sense for them to carry over tickets for everybody that doesn't ask for a refund.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It doesn't say refunds will be made in the case of a cancellation.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

It doesn't say refunds will be made in the case of a cancellation.

Yes it does ,Ive highlighted it for you

11 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

pretty sure it says that as a legal requirement

And I wouldn't assume they can legally house the ticket terms under the 2020 conditions and say it's all the same. Like, why wouldn't other events without such insane demand like Boardmasters just have done this?

10 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Nobody is suggesting that they won't honour refunds for those that want them, just that it makes financial sense for them to carry over tickets for everybody that doesn't ask for a refund.

I wasn't saying that anyone was. I'm just saying that refunds would be the direct protocol for the cancellation of the event.

I don't agree with the 'financial sense' thing. To recoup the losses on this year? How are they gonna cover the costs of next year without adding extra money on to the ticket then?

Also, if you're getting at people would rather keep the ticket now because they might not be able to stretch to affording one in October, why wouldn't they cancel it and put the nearly-£300 towards living?

Edited by dentalplan

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

To recoup the losses on this year? How are they gonna cover the costs of next year without adding extra money on to the ticket then?

Also, if you're getting at people would rather keep the ticket now because they might not be able to stretch to affording one in October, why wouldn't they cancel it and put the nearly-£300 towards living?

The first one is a difficult one to call. All tickets already sold (minus refund requests) versus no increase in ticket price. If I were them I'd go with the first one and cut costs a little bit (no nice new things like Glasto on sea or re-investment in sewage etc. for a year), that's probably what most business would do.

The second one is a good point, there's something psychological about already having spent money but you're right, some would ask for the money back because they need it.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

No, you've highlighted something which says that NO refunds will be given EXCEPT..... which doesn't mean refunds would be automatic, just legally available.

Yes, if this year is cancelled they are within their rights to roll the tickets over if the customer wants, but legally they also have to offer a refund. 

Having been successful this year for the first time in 3 attempts and the initial excitement I now feel like I’ve scored a goal and VAR are having a look with a strong chance of ruling it out. I’d be gutted if it got cancelled and it was back to square one for 2021 and would obviously welcome the chance to get some sort of priority for it. 
Emily and Michael will receive a lot of abuse whatever decision they make which is so unfair. They do so much good but can’t win with this which is out of their hands. 

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

The first one is a difficult one to call. All tickets already sold (minus refund requests) versus no increase in ticket price. If I were them I'd go with the first one and cut costs a little bit (no nice new things like Glasto on sea or re-investment in sewage etc. for a year), that's probably what most business would do.

The second one is a good point, there's something psychological about already having spent money but you're right, some would ask for the money back because they need it.

But why haven't the other cancelled festivals that do this just do the same? I would be quite sure it's not legal. 

If they refund deposits (they'll call it before payment window imo, they can't expect people to pay as normal right now) and then say that the 2020 ticketholders get to have a first-go in late-September then it's much of a muchness, can be accommodated for under the 2021 banner and they can hike the ticket prices as well.