Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

5 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Suffered the disappointment in October 2019 of not getting tickets (presumably that disappointment lasting until the 2020 fest is cancelled).

Same thing happens in October 2020 for the 2021 festival.

?

Gonna go out on a limb and say the disappointment for ticket holders this year will very much outweigh the disappointment for anyone that missed out in October, if it is cancelled. That's without the financial and personal commitments already made.

1 minute ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Gonna go out on a limb and say the disappointment for ticket holders this year will very much outweigh the disappointment for anyone that missed out in October, if it is cancelled. That's without the financial and personal commitments already made.

Quite possibly true. 

I was just trying to answer your question about what might be meant by non-ticket holders ‘missing out twice’. 

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They can absolutely do what they want, I do feel that whatever they decide will be well thought and what they believe to be fair, rather than anything to do with money.

Fair enough that's you're opinion - but we're talking millions of pounds plus supply chains, payment orders. It may be out of their hands, unless I missed somewhere that the eavii are benevolent billionaires.

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

Fair enough that's you're opinion - but we're talking millions of pounds plus supply chains, payment orders. It may be out of their hands, unless I missed somewhere that the eavii are benevolent billionaires.

They’ve had scares like this before and so are well covered financially, you can find articles covering the subject. They’ll also have insurance that will pay out to a degree which will cover a lot of things they’ve already shelled out for. I believe I’ve read in here possibly from Neil that the acts get paid a month before.

Don't get me wrong there will be financial implications of this for them, as there will be for pretty much everyone on earth, but it’s my beliefs they won’t need to factor keeping our money into their decision.

I may be wrong and to an extent I hope I am, anything that helps me get a ticket for next year suits me down to the ground.

There is obviously no option that will please everyone, those with a ticket for 2020 will be gutted if they miss out on 2021 and those without will be gutted if they dont get the chance for a ticket in 2021

I missed out on a ticket in 2019 and was lucky enough to get one for this year, i really hope there is a festival this year or at least some way of getting priority for next year if it is cancelled, 2017 already seems a lifetime ago!

5 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

This could give the festival a great opportunity to improve its carbon footprint, all those that want their ticket carried over get a guaranteed coach pakage to the festival next year

That is a great idea and I’d be well up for it. I think sadly it would be difficult logistically though, there probably just aren’t enough coaches in the country.

21 minutes ago, DeadAmos said:

This could give the festival a great opportunity to improve its carbon footprint, all those that want their ticket carried over get a guaranteed coach pakage to the festival next year

That's great but we want to go in a campervan?

5 minutes ago, MikeandSan said:

That's great but we want to go in a campervan?

It was only an alternative suggestion to the yes they should / no they shouldn't discussion and very unlikely to happen , but it would mean the general resale for yourself and anyone else in the same position

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I don’t think they can keep our deposits, legally. First-refusal would be such an easier prospect and what I imagine other festivals will do.

edit: but the easiest and fairest option would be fresh sale for 2021 with no dibs

But I was hoping to go :(  

Edited by DareToDibble

3 hours ago, jparx said:

When other events have literally said they're rolling over tickets, there's hardly "no debate".

None of us have a clue. Unfortunately that's not a sexy opinion.

Others are looking at rescheduling to later this year in which case tickets would still be valid. In doing this those festivals should of a refund to those who can't make the new date (consumer law). If the event is cancelled outright then consumer law is all tickets refunded, except for booking fee.

Another spanner in the works is nobody is yet a ticket holder or has a ticket as the purchase had not been completed. It's like buying a car. You may put a deposit down on one but its not yours until you've paid all the bill.

Edited by Lycra

43 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

We're taking for granted 2021 will happen!

Refer to Spanish Flu 1918-20 where the second wave was by far the biggest.

(I'm not too gloomy, and I apologise, but best not to make too many assumptions presently)

By then, maybe later this year,  the scientists will have developed a vaccine, so they reckon anyway, and a mass immunisation starting with Essential workers, vulnerable individuals and over 60s will have started. 🤞

Allowing the people who have secured tickets for this year tickets for next year is surely the reasonable thing to do. People have already spent money on this years festival in regards to tents, equipment, things that can’t be refunded now and you’re not gonna give those people the option for a ticket for next year with the possibility that they won’t get a ticket if all tickets are just thrown back in the pot and they start again, can’t see that happening, it’s a proper Tory thing to do that. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

Allowing the people who have secured tickets for this year tickets for next year is surely the reasonable thing to do. People have already spent money on this years festival in regards to tents, equipment, things that can’t be refunded now and you’re not gonna give those people the option for a ticket for next year with the possibility that they won’t get a ticket if all tickets are just thrown back in the pot and they start again, can’t see that happening, it’s a proper Tory thing to do that. 

Ensuring everyone has an equal chance of going is the opposite of what Tories do.

• Upvote 1

Being my first Glasto (treat for my 15 yr old daughter as she's been very ill) im not going to lie I will be a bit fed up if some provisions were not put in place for ticket holders I spent a fortune on camping gear etc and the relief of getting tickets only to have hit snatched away would be devastating for my daughter. I do though see both sides of the picture, its a hard call. 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Ensuring everyone has an equal chance of going is the opposite of what Tories do.

Does amaze me how this place is so “left”, until situations like this arrive and it’s every man for himself. 

NB Not everybody of course. 

Haven’t been keeping with this thread much, but in the other coronavirus thread everyone seems certain that a postponement is off the cards completely?

What is the thinking behind that, given that many festivals who have made statements so far have discussed rearranging for later in the year?

I don't have a ticket and I think the fairest thing to do is to give people the option to transfer their ticket to next year. It's worse for me personally but I think in situations like this you should always look at what is fairest rather than what suits your needs the most. 

I genuinely feel for the Eavii though because there is so much more at stake than whether people get to have fun on the farm for 5 days. There are people who may lose businesses or jobs because of this charities who could lose a hue chunk of revenue and the last thing they need is an angry mob upset at them for whatever decision they make. 

Another option I though of that might help them with that problem is that people are given the option to donate this year's £50 deposit to help the charities out and for that they get the right to a pre-sale. 

I also hope that if they have already been working on artwork etc that they release maybe with the tagline - the greatest party that never was and we could buy it with the proceeds going to the charities and maybe some funds for businesses and individuals affected by the cancellation. 

Whatever happens we know that any decision they come to will have weighed heavy on them and I just hope the worst of the keyboard warriors don't go after Emily. I so feel for them as I know how much they put into each event. 

Just now, Jack.194 said:

Haven’t been keeping with this thread much, but in the other coronavirus thread everyone seems certain that a postponement is off the cards completely?

What is the thinking behind that, given that many festivals who have made statements so far have discussed rearranging for later in the year?

There’s too much to organise I think, I suppose though each stage has it own organisers so they could all just re-organise their own stages 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

Others are looking at rescheduling to later this year in which case tickets would still be valid. In doing this those festivals should of a refund to those who can't make the new date (consumer law). If the event is cancelled outright then consumer law is all tickets refunded, except for booking fee.

Another spanner in the works is nobody is yet a ticket holder or has a ticket as the purchase had not been completed. It's like buying a car. You may put a deposit down on one but its not yours until you've paid all the bill.

There are the legalities and consumer law etc, and then there is what the festival decide is appropriate to do.

I agree if it’s a cancellation they will have no legal obligation to do anything, but I don’t think they’ll hide behind the legalities and use that as a reason if they don’t make any sort of concession.

Just now, lukethekid said:

There’s too much to organise I think, I suppose though each stage has it own organisers so they could all just re-organise their own stages 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Yea I get it’s a bigger event than any other festival, but there’s loads more people working on it so surely the amount of work would be relative? 
And I get the bigger the festival is the more of a job it is to reorganise, I just think they’d definitely prefer to reorganise than to cancel altogether 

If it's clear that it can't happen in June will they not just look at doing what all the other events impacted have done and postpone it until September? 

Fingers crossed the end of June is still doable but the predicted peak of the pandemic is the end of May/start of June so that doesn't look good.