Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

7 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Don't they form a new company for each festival?  That would make holding onto ticket/pitch money from this year trickier.  A first-dibs sale in October might be more realistic.

The decision will likely be dictated by money and insurance and business laws ahead of the feelings of any ticket holders.

The two things don’t need to be relevant to each other though. They and their accountants can work out what’s best to do with the money, but whatever that is it doesn’t stop them offering some sort of presale.

I think most people are worried about being able to get a ticket again for next year in the event of cancellation, wether the festival decide to make allowances for that or not doesn’t have to be linked to tax implications.

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

This was discussed the other day. They don't do that anymore - not for quite a few years.

Much obliged.

1 minute ago, fullerlove said:

As harsh as it may sound you may have a ticket for a cancelled event. You would receive a refund.

Next years festival is a different event.

Was the point I was trying to make.

I'm self employed in the hospitality industry.  I've seen bookings dry up.  I'm looking at the possible end to my business and a very uncertain future.  Others are in a much worse position.  It's nobody's fault.

What about increasing the capacity for next year? If they could adjust the licence and free up some more space to increase the number of tickets by 15/20K. They could give people the option to rollover current tickets, a chunk of which will be returned to the pot as people have a change of plans, then you'd still have probably 40 odd thousand tickets, if not more, for general sale. It would appease both camps and also allow them to bring in some extra money to cover some of the losses.

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Valley said:

Whatever happens needs to happen before balance payment date.  I think they are waiting to be TOLD NOT to hold it by the relevant authorities.

I also think this if only to be able to claim against their insurance

3 minutes ago, Cheddar Valley said:

Whatever happens needs to happen before balance payment date.  I think they are waiting to be TOLD NOT to hold it by the relevant authorities.

I don’t think so, the poster only came out a couple of days ago, I don’t think anybody knows anything yet but it looks like we might all know more on Monday.

I had tickets for Houghton festival this year which ended up being cancelled the day it was due to start because of storms. 
Houghton gave everyone a full refund and anyone who had a ticket for 2019, got a presale email 2 weeks before general sale this year. 
I realise it is a smaller scale than Glastonbury, however for a small festival in only its 5th year to have a contingency plan and sort that, I don’t see why Glastonbury couldn’t or wouldn’t do the same.

Your ticket is linked to your reg number and your email. So they could email all ticket holders for 2020 a 1 time use link for 2021 tickets in the last week of September. And any that are not purchased go in the regular sale for 2021. 

2 minutes ago, gherring8 said:

I had tickets for Houghton festival this year which ended up being cancelled the day it was due to start because of storms. 
Houghton gave everyone a full refund and anyone who had a ticket for 2019, got a presale email 2 weeks before general sale this year. 
I realise it is a smaller scale than Glastonbury, however for a small festival in only its 5th year to have a contingency plan and sort that, I don’t see why Glastonbury couldn’t or wouldn’t do the same.

Your ticket is linked to your reg number and your email. So they could email all ticket holders for 2020 a 1 time use link for 2021 tickets in the last week of September. And any that are not purchased go in the regular sale for 2021. 

It’s not the logistics or the practicalities of it though, it would be very easy for them to do it.

The question is will they do it, not can they do it. It’s a massively oversubscribed festival so it’s unique compared to pretty much any other event. It’s not really in their wider interests to make it even harder for the general public to get tickets if a lot of them have been hoovered up already.

The question is what’s more disappointing:

1. Having a ticket for 2020 and being told the event is cancelled and there will be no rollover to next year and you’ll have to take your chances with everyone else.

or

2. Not having a ticket for 2020 and being told it will be harder to get tickets for 2021 because those who had tickets for 2020 get first dibs.

1 minute ago, JoBalls said:

The question is what’s more disappointing:

1. Having a ticket for 2020 and being told the event is cancelled and there will be no rollover to next year and you’ll have to take your chances with everyone else.

or

2. Not having a ticket for 2020 and being told it will be harder to get tickets for 2021 because those who had tickets for 2020 get first dibs.

Another way to look at is what’s worse, failing for 2020 and 2021, or being successful for 2020, it’s cancelled and then you fail for 2021.

Scenario two is way worse for that person, the same amount of people will miss out regardless, but for the 2020 failures in October it will be a lot worse than just simply failing twice.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It’s not the logistics or the practicalities of it though, it would be very easy for them to do it.

The question is will they do it, not can they do it. It’s a massively oversubscribed festival so it’s unique compared to pretty much any other event. It’s not really in their wider interests to make it even harder for the general public to get tickets if a lot of them have been hoovered up already.

It won’t make any difference to the popularity of Glastonbury if 2020 ticket holders are given priority for 2021. 

Realistically many of us who have tickets would still try no matter what also, so I don’t think “pissing off” ticket holders is an issue either as many just love the festival regardless. 

However, it would be terribly unfair on ticket holders to just be told “tough luck”. It’s incredibly hard to get a ticket, and if the festival is cancelled it will be relatively late in the day when people have already booked flights, hotels, trains etc, I believe the least they can do is offer something for ticket holders. Furthermore, just because it’s hard to get tickets, I don’t think that gives them any loyalty to those without a ticket currently. 

None of this is anyone’s fault though and we have potentially many more things to worry about. From a selfish point of view, a lot of my anxiety surrounding the situation would be lifted by being told even if it’s cancelled you can keep your ticket. 

Seen people argue a rollover would be unfair for those who don’t have 2020 tickets as they miss out twice in a row, but an alternative way of looking at it is that those unsuccessful didn’t end up actually missing out anything. So it’s only fair they should still have to miss out on something, namely the 2021 festival 😜

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, leonaves said:

Great points on both sides of the argument IMO, personally I’ve come to the conclusion I wouldn’t be surprised with either decision, can anybody else say having read the whole thread they would be shocked either way?

Vexing to see such a sensible post from someone with your avatar 😂

1 minute ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Seen people argue a rollover would be unfair for those who don’t have 2020 tickets as they miss out twice in a row, but an alternative way of looking at it is that those unsuccessful didn’t end up actually missing out anything. So it’s only fair they should still have to miss out on something, namely the 2021 festival 😜

That’s a glaringly obvious thing that I hadn’t really considered, nobody will have missed out for 2020 if it never happened!

• Upvote 1

Fwiw I think the decision will be mainly made on what makes sense financially/legally and very much depends on if we ever get to paying off balances.

Saying that, surely though there's an argument that ticket holders this year have a right to first refusal. Many ticket holders will have already made financial commitments that potentially may not or won't be refunded plus will have made personal sacrifices already - annual leave, opportunity costs, etc.

Edited by Garrett_Salas

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Can anyone explain the logic of non-holder missing out twice? The entire point of the discussion is that there isn't going to be on this year if we get to this?

Suffered the disappointment in October 2019 of not getting tickets (presumably that disappointment lasting until the 2020 fest is cancelled).

Same thing happens in October 2020 for the 2021 festival.

?

7 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

It won’t make any difference to the popularity of Glastonbury if 2020 ticket holders are given priority for 2021. 

Realistically many of us who have tickets would still try no matter what also, so I don’t think “pissing off” ticket holders is an issue either as many just love the festival regardless. 

However, it would be terribly unfair on ticket holders to just be told “tough luck”. It’s incredibly hard to get a ticket, and if the festival is cancelled it will be relatively late in the day when people have already booked flights, hotels, trains etc, I believe the least they can do is offer something for ticket holders. Furthermore, just because it’s hard to get tickets, I don’t think that gives them any loyalty to those without a ticket currently. 

None of this is anyone’s fault though and we have potentially many more things to worry about. From a selfish point of view, a lot of my anxiety surrounding the situation would be lifted by being told even if it’s cancelled you can keep your ticket. 

Whilst I agree that it won’t affect the popularity of the festival, equally I think that’s something that the festival will never want to take for granted.

There is always lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth all over the socials and the media after ticket day as it is. There is always a risk that people become disillusioned with it so I don’t necessarily think they’ll want to make it even harder for people to get a ticket.

I say this as a ticket holder who would be desperate for them to make some sort of allowance for us whatever that is.

I initially thought scrapped and start again but I can see ticket holders keeping rights now.

Personally i'd like to see people who would have been first time attendees keep their tickets but that's impossible to track with new registrations etc. Imagine you've been trying for years and now have a ticket, only to miss out again.

The festival is in such a strong position in terms of demand, it can do what it wants either way unlike other fests.

1 minute ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Can anyone explain the logic of non-holder missing out twice? The entire point of the discussion is that there isn't going to be on this year if we get to this?

If you missed out you will know the disappointment of missing out. Imagine, your first time of being successful or successful after a long period of missing out and due to a global pandemic your ticket is taken away from you, that seems much harsher than not going the year after.

People have paid a fortune this year for various things to go the festival and they could be out of pocket. People who miss out make other plans but the ones of got tickets deserve to go. They should get first dibs. Yes I did get a ticket but I truly believe ticket holders deserve a ticket to 2021 as people have got excited, really excited, planned everything, paid a lot of money in preparation, for the massive disappointment of the festival being cancelled, not getting a ticket to 2021 and missing out in the sale would be a misery compiler. Getting a ticket and missing out is much worse than missing out and knowing the 2020 holders get a ticket for the following festival.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, august1 said:

I initially thought scrapped and start again but I can see ticket holders keeping rights now.

Personally i'd like to see people who would have been first time attendees keep their tickets but that's impossible to track with new registrations etc. Imagine you've been trying for years and now have a ticket, only to miss out again.

The festival is in such a strong position in terms of demand, it can do what it wants either way unlike other fests.

They can absolutely do what they want, I do feel that whatever they decide will be well thought and what they believe to be fair, rather than anything to do with money.

2 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

If you missed out you will know the disappointment of missing out. Imagine, your first time of being successful or successful after a long period of missing out and due to a global pandemic your ticket is taken away from you, that seems much harsher than not going the year after.

People have paid a fortune this year for various things to go the festival and they could be out of pocket. People who miss out make other plans but the ones of got tickets deserve to go. They should get first dibs. Yes I did get a ticket but I truly believe ticket holders deserve a ticket to 2021 as people have got excited, really excited, planned everything, paid a lot of money in preparation, for the massive disappointment of the festival being cancelled, not getting a ticket to 2021 and missing out in the sale would be a misery compiler. Getting a ticket and missing out is much worse than missing out and knowing the 2020 holders get a ticket for the following festival.

I completely agree (and expressed better than I could!) and was actually looking for the logic of seeing things the other way round (i.e. it's be more unfair on those that missed out in October to give first refusal to ticket holders)