Opinions on what will happen if Glastonbury 50 gets cancelled

RarerThanDandyB

What will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?  

545 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen if Glastonbury gets cancelled?

• Tickets carried over for next year, next festival 2021
    • Tickets not carried over, fresh October sale for the next festival in 2021
    • Rescheduled for a later date
    • Make a make shift event for the 50th to be celebrated.

It’s not a problem that other festivals will have. You can get tickets right up to before their gates open. Glastonbury is unique. We al know the probability of being successful in the tickets sale. Securing a ticket for this year might have been a success that will never be repeated. Allowing a presale for next year would be sensible. The technology with registrations etc would make this easy to administrate. But it’s a sensitive issue.

If it’s cancelled Wouldn’t it be great if we had two Glastonbury’s next summer? One in June for those who had tickets and one later On!!😁

I have no idea honestly, and I doubt Emily and co have a clear idea yet.

My hunch is they would do something to soften the blow for current ticket holders, maybe an exclusive presale for them with all or a portion of the tickets being available. You're going to upset people whichever way you go, but I reckon they'd want to do something for the current ticket holders.

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

On the other hand, those who got tickets for this year will have planned their holidays/summers around the fest, and so deserve better treatment than people to whom cancellation would be no real inconvenience at all.

100% agree with this.  I have already spent close to £2k on campervan and a ferry.  I have prepaid both and will have no chance of getting any refunds from either.  Not really sure what I will do with a campervan for a week at the end of June if it is cancelled - huge waste of money.

3 minutes ago, circus92 said:

100% agree with this.  I have already spent close to £2k on campervan and a ferry.  I have prepaid both and will have no chance of getting any refunds from either.  Not really sure what I will do with a campervan for a week at the end of June if it is cancelled - huge waste of money.

Great point, and really sorry to hear about that matey. 

I don’t understand this idea that people who were unsuccessful in 2020 would be “pissed off” if the festival roll over 2020 tickets to 2021, and people who have tickets for 2020 will be “pissed off” if tickets aren’t rolled over.

From my perspective it’s already a shit decision that Emily and Michael have to take regarding whether to cancel and if so what to do about 2020 tickets, and as a 2020 ticket holder I selfishly do hope they decide to roll them over, but whatever they decide I will happily accept without a cross word being said. It genuinely worries me that Emily is going to get a lot of abuse on social media about whatever decision is made, which is totally unfair. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ModernMan said:

Just because Glastonbury is a huge over subscribed event, it doesn’t mean you have to cater to people who didn’t get tickets. This approach doesn’t make any sense to me, if you have a ticket for any event that gets cancelled you almost always get an option for the reschedule. Like it or not, the next festival will effectively be a reschedule. 

I'm sure I heard a rumor somewhere that they were already planning a festival  for 2021

3 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I don’t understand this idea that people who were unsuccessful in 2020 would be “pissed off” if the festival roll over 2020 tickets to 2021, and people who have tickets for 2020 will be “pissed off” if tickets aren’t rolled over.

From my perspective it’s already a shit decision that Emily and Michael have to take regarding whether to cancel and if so what to do about 2020 tickets, and as a 2020 ticket holder I selfishly do hope they decide to roll them over, but whatever they decide I will happily accept without a cross word being said. It genuinely worries me that Emily is going to get a lot of abuse on social media about whatever decision is made, which is totally unfair. 

I just posted the similar at the same time :) 

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Great point, and really sorry to hear about that matey. 

Cheers buddy - I suppose the point I am making is that while the financial loss would be painful, the tickets being rolled over or getting a presale next year would lessen the pain quite a bit.  Being thrown back into the lottery would just feel very unfair given all the expense / effort put in so far.  I am sure there are quite a few other overseas festival goers in the same position.

Edited by circus92

I reckon a limited presale would strike a decent balance and when you really think about it a limited presale wouldn’t really make it harder for people who didn’t get tickets for 2020.

Lets say there was a full on presale with no limits, how many people from 2020 would take up the option? I reckon max would be 100k.

So let’s say you have a presale of 30k tickets and 100k trying for them, obviously 30k are sold. Then let’s say there is no presale at all and it’s just BAU in October. Those 100k are still trying along with everyone else, how many of those 100k are lucky enough to get tickets? Probably roughly 30k tickets.

So 30k tickets would’ve gone to 2020 ticket holders anyway on a normal sale, so it’s not really unfair but just gives 2020 ticket holders a slightly better chance.

I appreciate these are very wild back of fag packets numbers, but hopefully you get my drift 

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Yes, that is still in place. Certainly was in 2019 for 2020, at least

I wouldn’t mind losing my deposit for a guaranteed ticket for next year, but the whole balance would be a bit steep...!

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

2020 cancelled.

Deposit refunded.

Existing ticket holders to get first refusal on next year's event, linked to registration number, with a payment window a week before the initial sale in October.

Those who don't take up the opportunity, tickets go into the regular pot. 

Seems like a fair process to me. 

If possible this would surely be the best option?

Don't they form a new company for each festival?  That would make holding onto ticket/pitch money from this year trickier.  A first-dibs sale in October might be more realistic.

The decision will likely be dictated by money and insurance and business laws ahead of the feelings of any ticket holders.

2021 is a different event, it should be treated as such (I say this as a 2020 ticket holder)

Postponement is too risky, as there is unlikely to be enough time from when the virus subsides to  having to prepare a date later in the year and it not to be a lesser event 

I find it much easier now I’m reconciled to 2020 being cancelled. It’s time to move on (and if I have a pleasant surprise that’s great)

2 minutes ago, Cheddar Valley said:

I can't believe all this rubbish about not carrying tickets over for next year.  Why should I lose my ticket through no fault of my own.  No reset just IF its cancelled then everybody who secured a ticket this year gets a first refusal on 2021 and whatever's left goes on general sale.  END OF

I mean yeah, why should you lose your ticket through no fault of your own?

8 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Don't they form a new company for each festival?  That would make holding onto ticket/pitch money from this year trickier.  A first-dibs sale in October might be more realistic.

The decision will likely be dictated by money and insurance and business laws ahead of the feelings of any ticket holders.

This was discussed the other day. They don't do that anymore - not for quite a few years.

The Glastonbury organisers will already have incurred significant expenses even if 2020 is cancelled and will still require funds for 2021 planning and admin. 

I reckon they’ll offer 2020 ticket holders the option of a ticket in 2021 and then get to hold onto the deposits which will provide funding between now and June 21.