Trying to see half of two clashing sets - yay or nay?

jimmillen

How to deal with a nightmare clash   

168 members have voted

1. 1. Is swapping stages halfway through ever a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

I considered doing half n half with new order and Adele in ‘16. The mud quickly made up my mind not to bother. Saw Adele, no regrets, will catch new order sometime.

i think the only time I’d do half and half would be if an act wasn’t doing it for me and I wandered off somewhere else. But that doesn’t really count.

Would advocate sticking with one, especially earlier in the day when sets are shorter and people are bimbling slowly. That being said if it's not working for you, don't feel like you're stuck with it - especially later in the day. Have changed on a whim half way through a set I wasn't feeling (e.g. Kanye due to the horrible crowd near me) and been a good decision.

Ive done it many times, sometimes with regrets, sometimes not. It does depend on stage distance and if you're willing to do a bit of a jog. 

Last year I left miley cyrus just as she brought out her dad for that song I absolutely despise and got a really decent spot for billie.

10 hours ago, nikkic said:

Absolutely not.

If you’re not feeling an act then leave.

But don’t go into thinking you’ll do a 50/50.

You’ll never fully get into either. 

This. You’ll spend the walk to the other act wondering if you’ve made the right decision, and ultimately that will colour your experience of the other one. 

I left Kate Tempest to see The Chems last year and regretted it. Was loving Kate so stayed as late as I could, one eye on the time. Belted to the Other, but was towards the back and missed the hype before they came out, which is part of the enjoyment of each set for me. Thought about going back to the Park but by that point I’d fucked it. 

Edited by kalifire

I voted yes only because it has actually been a save on a few occasions.

But I think you have to make an early call.

20mins in and obviously not too far away.

Giving up on a Pyramid headliner and going to West Holts is a good option as you slip out the back door. 

Remember doing this for Ed Shearan to see Justice (good move)

(WTF was I doing there in the first place?)

Foo Fighters to Warpaint (Park) 

Not so good, just too long a trek.

Only if you can get to a neighboring stage within reason and times are maybe staggered just enough to make it happen. If conditions are ideal ( no mud ) getting from the Park to Arcadia or Other isnt crazy. Other to The Glade is 5 minutes. ( saw almost all of Stormzy in 17 and then went over for Sasha and Digweed when they started ) You have to really put yourself in the best position to be able to leave and not incur any big problems to make it happen. But in the end, make your choices and stick to them. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

This. You’ll spend the walk to the other act wondering if you’ve made the right decision, and ultimately that will colour your experience of the other one. 

I left Kate Tempest to see The Chems last year and regretted it. Was loving Kate so stayed as late as I could, one eye on the time. Belted to the Other, but was towards the back and missed the hype before they came out, which is part of the enjoyment of each set for me. Thought about going back to the Park but by that point I’d fucked it. 

We made the mistake last year with Tame Impala and Bicep @ Pangea. 

We’d never usually split things but the lure of the new set up of Pangea was too much. 

Stood at the back and never fully got into Tame and then wandered over and never fully got into Bicep. 

An error. 

nah, forget that - at best you'd end up getting sidetracked on the way to set no. 2 and stumble across something else, and at worst you'd not make it to set no. 2 and end up getting pissed off for no reason.

either way i think the chances of actually accomplishing what you set out to achieve are pretty much nil.

if, however, it is because your "not really into it" then of course heading off and stumbling across something else is the best possible plan!

12 hours ago, nikkic said:

Absolutely not.

If you’re not feeling an act then leave.

But don’t go into thinking you’ll do a 50/50.

You’ll never fully get into either. 

Absolutely this.

Left Paak who I was loving for Radiohead and regretted due to the muted atmosphere where i stood.

Left Radiohead for the Flaming Lips and caught set of the weekend.

Very rarely but it can work. As other have said depends on the stages, distance and acts. Saw half other Arctic Monkeys (because my friends wanted to) and Chic (by myself because I wanted to) and it worked perfectly. Got dragged away from Metallica after an amazing opening to go to Despacio, had an amazing time. I don't think either would have worked the other way around...

Also think it only works if you can get where you want to in the crowd. Half committing and seeing part of an act at the back of the Pyramid or Other holds little appeal for me 

1 hour ago, Earth_pig said:

Taylor Vs Pet shop is a tough one.

Thinking maybe try and get pet shop boys tour tickets off twickets and commit to Taylor swifty.

Yeah I'd recommend catching the artist you care about slightly less away from Glastonbury if you can so you have less FOMO. 

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Absolutely this.

Left Paak who I was loving for Radiohead and regretted due to the muted atmosphere where i stood.

Left Radiohead for the Flaming Lips and caught set of the weekend.

i too left Radiohead very reluctantly to go see the flaming lips.

That turned out to be a brilliant choice,so yes it can be done.

19 hours ago, Smeble said:

I considered doing half n half with new order and Adele in ‘16. The mud quickly made up my mind not to bother. Saw Adele, no regrets, will catch new order sometime.

i think the only time I’d do half and half would be if an act wasn’t doing it for me and I wandered off somewhere else. But that doesn’t really count.

Tried the same, ended up with a wellie being consumed by the mud whilst in the distance I head the faint sound  of Adele singing Hello, it’s me! 

Tried this a few times and it just doesn't work, volume of people, mud or a combination of the two inevitably means it takes a lot longer than expected to get around and you end up in a poor location at the stage and have missed tfe songs you like best.

The only time it works is if theres a gap big enough so you can skip the encore/last song and still get there or if your seeing someone in a small stage like glade from other etc...

8 hours ago, sedra said:

You need a sometimes option - if the band/ artist isn’t great after all then the timing stagger means you can still make it to another stage in time for majority of a set. 

All the 'yes' responses are most likely 'sometimes' responses then, because I don't think anyone would begrudge someone leaving a set that they're not enjoying. But, as OP clarified, the vote is about people who set out with the intention of seeing half of two sets.