Trying to see half of two clashing sets - yay or nay?

jimmillen

How to deal with a nightmare clash   

168 members have voted

1. 1. Is swapping stages halfway through ever a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

With the lineup announcement & inevitable clashes - what do you think? 

And to be clear, I mean deliberately splitting between two acts you really want to see and will enjoy - not bimbling off to something else ‘cos you’re not into it.

Edited by jimmillen

Don't do it. If you really like both see all of one and half the other. We cut short Miley Cyrus to head off to the start of Billy Eilish (really wanted see Bad Guy open the show) and Miley was absolutely killing it on the Pyramid. As much as I had enjoyed Billie's set I wish I'd seen the whole of Miley's performance

8 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

With the lineup announcement & inevitable clashes - what do you think? 

And to be clear, I mean deliberately splitting between two acts you really want to see and will enjoy - not bimbling off to something else ‘cos you’re not into it.

At a smaller festival, like Reading or Leeds - sure, why not? At Glastonbury, with the sheer size and so much other stuff going on, I'd probably err on the side of caution and not risk it. If you really can't decide which to see, flip a coin and that will help you decide.

Edited by Sargey Babes

Left TV on the Radio half way through a great set to see Plan B, who was not great at all.

Left ZZ Top mid-set to see Reef. They were half an hour late, so I could have seen the end of ZZ...

Inevitably, you'll miss enough of both acts walking in between so I say, if you're enjoying yourself where you are, don't go. If it's whack, take a hike.

Massive no. At a different festival - perhaps. At Glastonbury? No chance at all. 

For a start you can't guarantee you'll get there in time and you're ultimately wasting time walking between stages when you could be throwing some shapes.

It can be done.  I jibbed Radiohead the other year to catch The Flaming Lips and didn't regret it for a minute.  Also saw the first half of Portishead, then the second half of Nile Rogers, a few years earlier and it felt like I got the best of both...?

One year when a little drunk and high with no real headliner in mind Mrs Q and I tried to see as many headliners as possible. Part songs were allowed but tried to see a whole song/tune. We got to seven (we did do the dance village as part of that so knew we would get a few in)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

It can be done.  I jibbed Radiohead the other year to catch The Flaming Lips and didn't regret it for a minute.  Also saw the first half of Portishead, then the second half of Nile Rogers, a few years earlier and it felt like I got the best of both...?

Exactly this - all our group had decided on Chic but my cousin and I are huge Portishead fans. So we started at the Other stage with Beth & co and it was mesmerising- proper spine-tinglingly good. We couldn't believe our luck. But all our pals / siblings were at Chic... so after about half the set we reluctantly dragged ourselves away and jogged across to Chic. Found the gang, had an absolute party.

I regret NOTHING. 

Normally no but the Kendrick/Thom Yorke clash is giving me sleepless nights already, so its an option. ATM i think will start with Kendrick (depending on times) & go from there. Or the other way round. Or not..................................................................

I agree that the distance and where you want to stand need to be taken into consideration, but the other thing that i always think about this is, whose finale / hits do you really want to see. Most acts save up a few of the big hits for the finish so if the timing allows then make sure you finish on your favourite.