The poster 2020

MetaKate

18 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Snow patrol are doing a lunchtime, reworked set at latitude, so more than possible a daytime / opening other spot at Glasto ? 

I think they are doing that because they had to cancel their headline set last year.

2 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

I mean, they cancelled Glastonbury last year too. 

Yeah but they weren’t  headlining  Glastonbury so I’d say less likely to do a ‘we are sorry for cancelling’ mid afternoon set than they are at latitude.

Absolutely cracking line-up for me. Having not paid attention much on here for a while (I don't have a ticket) there is a fair amount that I had no idea about - TLC, Robyn, Kelis, Goldfrapp, Groove Armada, Candi Staton, Avalanches... all very exciting to find out about (if I get to go). 

Re Fatboy does seem a bit of a waste of a slot... but he deserves it, is a big artist outside Glastonbury and will do a big show. It does make me think they will be doing some more surprises

Mulled it around for a couple of days, read it, read it and read it again.

Its not a great line up for me (at the moment).  That said, equally comfortable with Park, Williams Green, West Holt's and Kepler static in a yurt somewhere so as always, it will be ace.

Expected more for the 50th.  Which is probably trending on social media

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Mulled it around for a couple of days, read it, read it and read it again.

Its not a great line up for me (at the moment).  That said, equally comfortable with Park, Williams Green, West Holt's and Kepler static in a yurt somewhere so as always, it will be ace.

Expected more for the 50th.  Which is probably trending on social media

This is my first time at Glastonbury and I'm just looking for 1-3 big acts to see each day and I'm more than happy with this lineup. Though I'll likely spend tons of time watching acts not even announced yet at Williams Green... 

In terms of the 50th and disappointment... it looks to me like the lineup had 2 priorities, gender balance and a sense of history for the 50th. I think this poster knocks it out of the park for both goals, while maybe neglecting some other goals that could lead to some disappointment. 

In terms of gender balance, for me Glastonbury did a much better job than Primavera did last year, where, again for me, it felt like in the quest for gender balance Primavera became a pop music festival for a year. 

Anyways, I feel for people that were hoping for an amazing "BEST OF GLASTONBURY" kind of poster and I get it, and I do think the aim of gender balance messed with that a bit... But I think that goal of gender balance blends nicely with a goal of "looking to the future while remembering the past" that the festival does so well... 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think I get your point.

If they'd booked more women and binned off hoary old w*nk like Noel Gallagher then it truly would have been the best ever (?)

I'm trying to keep my comment down the middle, especially since I like the lineup.

In terms of Mr. Gallagher, I'm empathetic that if your favorite band is Oasis this lineup may not be the best "Glastonbury 50th" lineup in your head, and I do think the priority of gender balance is a part of that. You make something a priority that obviously makes something else less of a priority. I don't want to insult anyone or any artist or anyone's taste in music I just think that's a very relevant part of this lineup poster.

My problem is I don't really know what I want anymore ... Lol.

I love seeing bands that are striving to make it and Never happier than in a railway arch venue paying a tenner to watch the next young hopefulls.

But was also secretly hoping for some sort of face melting RATM madness and equivalent at Glastonbury this year.

Also, being a 50 something  hacienda head, the festival is just as much about dancing like a father in some far flung mystery Glastonbury venue to Graham Park or similar.

I think the hype / expectation in the media dragged me me in and when the poster launched it just felt a bit of a shoulder shrug moment.

As I have said to colleagues who don't really get festivals, if there is a festival where the line up can sometimes seem a distraction, then Glastonbury is it. It will be mint as I said earlier.

I suppose I was after Fontaines DC undercard to Idles headline. Which was a completely unrealistic expectation!

51 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think I get your point.

If they'd booked more women and binned off hoary old w*nk like Noel Gallagher then it truly would have been the best ever (?)

I'm not really one to go about saying guitar music is dead and think there's some great acts still coming out, but fucking hell they've booked some properly naff/dated bands haven't they? The Lightning Seeds ffs

• Like 1

Very happy to see Herbie Hancock/ Khruangbin...otherwise it's so, so, 5/10 for me.

As much as I like Editors, Goldfrapp, Primal & Manics, they've got 20 odd Glasto appearances racked up between them already...feels a little stale.

PSB headlining a stage in 2020? Hmmm.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There seems to be a few too many past their sell by date Britpop contenders taking up the heritage spots, where the likes of Iggy Pop, Judas Priest and Cat goddamn Stevens should be.

I still think that the poster was a deliberate nod to those who have played or headlined in previous years and/or have strong relationships with the festivals.

My suspicion is that a few big hitters have been held back.