Coronavirus - are you worried?

19 minutes ago, Dukey said:

Seems odd them announcing the lineup last week and then just cancelling it

in that announcement it was clear they weren't fully confident of going ahead.

All of the fests that are still expressing confidence are bullshitting, really. They're not going to sell further tickets if they say "we doubt it'll happen".

9 minutes ago, swain said:

so real talk, do we think r&l is likely to go ahead, or be cancelled after this glasto announcement?

I’ve heard from a good source they’ve lost rage because rage are pushing their entire tour back.

Whether they’ve got rage for 2021 who knows. 

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve heard from a good source they’ve lost rage because rage are pushing their entire tour back.

If they have lost rage theres no way they would be allowed to sell tickets with their name? Rubbish

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the current measures are based on modelling of a lock down until mid-September, with the virus at it's very worst in November. That says to me that the lock-down is going to go beyond September. :( 

As they get more data the modelling output might change but it doesn't look hopeful at the moment.

If this is the case, any hopes for anything this year is truly fucked. Which is a truly depressing thought.

As time goes on R&L is looking less likely as the days pass, even if we get over the worst of it by the end of August they can’t just let a 100,000 people get together on a field with very poor sanitary conditions that will just cause a spike in infections again

As much as i hate the idea of it they are probably just safer in cancelling especially if that Rage rumour is true, nobody is going to be buying tickets for anything at the moment anyway. 

Edited by dum surfer

41 minutes ago, gfa said:

If they have lost rage theres no way they would be allowed to sell tickets with their name? Rubbish

there's always going to be delay between a band cancelling and an announcement that they've cancelled - so what he's heard isn't impossible.

Also, sometimes, they try to line-up a replacement act before announcing that they've lost one. And if RATM are cancelling shows they'll want to get all cancellations announced at the same time, so there'll be a delay around that part of things.

But if it's true it must be something R/L heard of yesterday (if not earlier) so I'd expect an announcement of them cancelling before the end of tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Lollapalooza Berlin posted teasers especially for RATM 6 hours ago. If they pulled out and your source knows, Lolla would know as well. Would be pretty cruel to still post ads, wouldn‘t it?

12 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

Lollapalooza Berlin posted teasers especially for RATM 6 hours ago. If they pulled out and your source knows, Lolla would know as well. Would be pretty cruel to still post ads, wouldn‘t it?

As it stands, they're still trying to sell tickets for their event. I've known festivals to have had acts pull out and delay announcing that for a few weeks, because the artist are big ticket shifters.

Just now, 19liam75 said:

didn't that happen with wireless the other year when DJ Khalid pulled out on the weekend and they came out and said that they knew he wasn't going to be playing in advance, who is wireless run by again....

Yh all the time. Artists give notice that they have no intention of performing quite often.

My guess is that R&L are working out whether the festival can be salvaged or whether they should call it off. Probably what other festivals are doing too.

9 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

This is Tomorrow Festival in Newcastle has postponed until August 14th-16th. Signs that potentially festival organisers think it will have cleared up by then?

I think its more that thats the earliest they think they could run it. I think theres a decent chance that festivals rescheduling for August are just trying to be optimistic, theres no guarantee theyll be able to do it by then. Lets all hope they can

10 hours ago, Pottsy2913 said:

This is Tomorrow Festival in Newcastle has postponed until August 14th-16th. Signs that potentially festival organisers think it will have cleared up by then?

Experts warning social distancing measures may be in place for up to a year, so moving to August seems brave. 

Honestly don’t see any large scale events taking place throughout the summer 

Extremely small chances for this to go on. At the moment it would be a massive miracle if any of the summer festivals could go on. We are far from the peak with Corona in UK / Europe, and everyone will be afraid of the second wave. No one will take such a risk and go on with an event of 100,000 people. Seems crazy right now. 

6 hours ago, Andrej said:

Extremely small chances for this to go on. At the moment it would be a massive miracle if any of the summer festivals could go on. We are far from the peak with Corona in UK / Europe, and everyone will be afraid of the second wave. No one will take such a risk and go on with an event of 100,000 people. Seems crazy right now. 

I think the second wave will have less because china in a second wave.

I thought the whole fear of a potential second wave was more for late autumn/winter time. But equally I'm aware there's a risk ending lockdown measures prematurely will lead to a resurgence.

Certainly, I'm not sure what the news of pushing the Olympics to 2021 does. Its unquestionably a huge blow for the idea international events will resume quickly, but equally the scale of athletes, hangers-on, sponsors, media and fans all congregating in Tokyo is unlike anything else whereas smaller stuff might just be able to squeak in.

This festival will not go ahead. Yes August is a long way off but most artists are rescheduling their tours to 2021. 

Yes the virus might be less intense by August, but what artists will have to make executive decisions about their tours months before. The Tokyo Olympics being postponed signals that they are pretty confident that international flights won’t be going on as late as July. They won’t wait until July to make the decision of whether or not R&L goes ahead.

Edited by Matt42