Orbital

gooner1990

On 4/12/2020 at 6:47 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

As far as I've worked out, Paul is the main creative force. Makes all the tracks. Phil is his sounding board, Paul bounces ideas off him. Phil gets quite annoyed when people bring this up though, I've seen some quite awkward interviews. 

In terms of the live show, it's live sequenced so Paul triggers off segments and fiddles with the synths settings and what not. Phil usually messes with the mix from what i can tell, whacking on delays and the likes. Someone correct me if wrong.

Live I think Paul orchestrates and Phil manipulates.

Paul decides what parts are being played and when and Phil changes the way the parts sound via all the synths and stuff.

Edited by Johnnyseven

2 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

Paul decides what parts are being played and when and Phil changes the way the parts sound via all the synths and stuff.

Yes exactly. I believe the Chems have a similar balance too but they seems to be more predetermined than Orbital.

9 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

This would be handy if I could remember which one was Paul and which one was Phil

6 hours ago, Homer said:

This would be handy if I could remember which one was Paul and which one was Phil

the hair is a handy guide, Phil is the "Loud" personality. It's funny, not sure i mentioned on here, but when I talked to them, I found Phil to be really chatty and lovely and Paul was fine but conversation was more difficult with him. 

2 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

the hair is a handy guide, Phil is the "Loud" personality. It's funny, not sure i mentioned on here, but when I talked to them, I found Phil to be really chatty and lovely and Paul was fine but conversation was more difficult with him. 

I've politely shaken both of their hands when I've walked past them at festivals. I think Phil gave me a hug thrown in. Phil was a tiny festival (Bloom) the day before he was performing, which I thought spoke well of him.

Paul was watching Goldie's classical show with (presumably) his daughter. He was very polite and said thank you.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Either that or Right Said Fred (yes, looks like it).

Thanks! I’ve seen an Orbital DJ set then.

There were some police officers dancers on the speakers at the time but didn’t want to want a pic of them.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

It's finally back in full!

The best set I've witnessed at the festival.

What a night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08gk8bw/glastonbury-orbital

They were so good that night. First time the set has been shown in full I think. One of my first introductions to dance music. I’ll always remember it fondly. Particularly the person chucking a million glow sticks into the crowd. Magic. 

3 minutes ago, zero000 said:

They were so good that night. First time the set has been shown in full I think. One of my first introductions to dance music. I’ll always remember it fondly. Particularly the person chucking a million glow sticks into the crowd. Magic. 

It might well be yes. Half of it is available in individual clips. Hoping someone catches it while it's available.

32 minutes ago, sirjonnyp said:

That set was fantastic. People thought I was bonkers for missing Stevie, but it was worth it. Weirdly enough I skipped Stevie again for Orbital again at Bestival a few years later. That one wasn't so worth it...

I was a little torn over that split but it was first Glasto they played since they returned so I had too go and I'm bloody glad I did.

13 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

That set was fantastic. People thought I was bonkers for missing Stevie, but it was worth it. Weirdly enough I skipped Stevie again for Orbital again at Bestival a few years later. That one wasn't so worth it...

Hang on. I skipped Stevie for Orbital at Glastonbury, but I saw both of them at Bestival. 

Did you not enjoy the Bestival set? Absolutely loved it myself. Seeing Stevie before was just sublime as well.