Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

7 minutes ago, Havors said:

Then that begs the question how ill? A sniffle?  Point still stands is a massive assumption to say that a lot of staff will be ill, and another to assume they wont just be replaced. 

It's another assumption to imagine bands / other international acts and attendees wouldn't cancel coming to the UK if we're in the peak of an epidemic. Look I get the optimism, I really do, I just don't think it bears relation to the facts. It is a 'glass is full' attitude rather than 'half empty', 'half full'.

Mind you I'd go to Glasto with no major acts. One year I didn't see a major act until the Sunday. Hell I'd go if the green fields were all that was on.

For what it is worth, I actually think the UK govt not closing schools, etc at the minute is a sensible idea.

Obviously no-one knows the correct course of action, but the expression of outrage that the UK isn't following the example set by other countries in Europe is a bit misplaced for me.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say you're stretching that. No one thinks about holding the festival responsible for catching flu there.

There's always a risk where ever you go of catching something nasty.

I think the point was looking after anyone who becomes ill at the festival rather than suing the festival?

4 minutes ago, Lycra said:

You're overlooking the duty of care the festival has to anyone who attends the site or is connected with the event in any way. This begins way before any festival goer gets on site and extends to all contractors, riggers, roadies, artists et al. Just look at what's happened with the Aussie F1 overnight and UK football today. 

I'm not sure I'm doing that at all. My point was about risks during the event itself and I was clearly agreeing that the impacts could be seen during the build up.

Disclaimer: do not read if you do not want a realisitc (negative) slant on this.....

Guys/Gals, let's be really really honest and real now. This is not happening! There is almost no conceivable, realistic scenario in which this goes ahead in June. 

One week ago I would have been on the verge of tears with this realisation, however on the grand scheme of things this really is not that important anymore. Whether people realise this today, in 3 days or in 2 weeks, we all will. 

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for a postponement to Septemebr (unlikely) as I cannot go next year. However, the safety of our nation (the globe) is far far more important now. 

Look after yourself and others. It's going to be a tought tough ride. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Breeze said:

It's another assumption to imagine bands / other international acts and attendees wouldn't cancel coming to the UK if we're in the peak of an epidemic

I think everyone expects a number of international acts to cancel, but that doesn't have to mean the festival does too. It seems pretty clear that oveaseas trips are going to iffy for the mo.

But in many cases I reckon they'll be a UK act happy to replace - because the job of being a band will have to go on, same as your job will to feed yourself, etc.

For all that's going on....there does seem to be a lot of media-hyped hysterics fuelling this.

Sky Sports News seem to be acting like its transfer deadline day with all the breaking news, yellow ticker tapes etc.

You'd think that the grim reaper was walking around striking people off one by one the way some people where I work are acting. I'm glad its Friday so I don't have to listen to it in such detail for a couple of days!

Edited by gooner1990

Just now, northernringo said:

For what it is worth, I actually think the UK govt not closing schools, etc at the minute is a sensible idea.

Obviously no-one knows the correct course of action, but the expression of outrage that the UK isn't following the example set by other countries in Europe is a bit misplaced for me.

I agree, suppose it's too soon to definitively put the number disparity down to differing responses, but seems odd to get angry we aren't following suit of countries doing far worse than us

Just now, thrillhouse188 said:

I agree, suppose it's too soon to definitively put the number disparity down to differing responses, but seems odd to get angry we aren't following suit of countries doing far worse than us

I honestly think some of it is people just want an excuse not to go to work for a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Breeze said:

I think the point was looking after anyone who becomes ill at the festival rather than suing the festival?

anyone getting ill at the festival is likely to be the equivalent of someone getting ill at home, so all of the same things can apply to it. Ship them off to hospital if necessary, or send them home to isolate.

I do think the festival need to make an announcement in regards to what will happen if the festival is to not go ahead in June, whether there is a possibility to postpone until later in the year or it just be cancelled altogether, whether people who have secured tickets for this year have priority for tickets for next year, we’re still in the dark a little bit it seems. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'd say you're stretching that. No one thinks about holding the festival responsible for catching flu there.

There's always a risk where ever you go of catching something nasty.

True there's always a risk of catching something nasty....but there's nasty and there's NASTY.......This is not seasonal flu, it's 20 - 40 times more deadly.

7 minutes ago, Breeze said:

It's another assumption to imagine bands / other international acts and attendees wouldn't cancel coming to the UK if we're in the peak of an epidemic. Look I get the optimism, I really do, I just don't think it bears relation to the facts. It is a 'glass is full' attitude rather than 'half empty', 'half full'.

Mind you I'd go to Glasto with no major acts. One year I didn't see a major act until the Sunday. Hell I'd go if the green fields were all that was on.

I call it trying to be pragmatic. There are possible simple answers to the questions posed so again I personally believe the defining issue is the governments rules on mass gatherings at specific times. 

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

Guys/Gals, let's be really really honest and real now. This is not happening! There is almost no conceivable, realistic scenario in which this goes ahead in June. 

I’ll ask the same question to you as I have to every negative nancy. 

If you’re so certain that the festival isn’t going to happen does this mean you’ll be giving up your ticket so one of the ticketless who does want the festival to happen has more chance of getting a ticket?

1 hour ago, Breeze said:

Premier League just suspended until April 3rd though I expect that date will get extended. Football being more sensible than the govt IMHO.

They're suspending football because they are running out of teams with players fit to play. This will be the problem with Glastonbury; the site takes about 10 weeks to build and in the height of the epidemic will there be enough people available to complete the build and then will there be enough people to crew it over the duration of the festival.

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ll ask the same question to you as I have to every negative nancy. 

If you’re so certain that the festival isn’t going to happen does this mean you’ll be giving up your ticket so one of the ticketless who does want the festival to happen has more chance of getting a ticket?

Yes, I will. Discussed with the wife lastnight. 

Hope answer makes you happy (clapper). 

I am self-employed freelance (not in work, don't get paid) until 31st March, after which (1st April) I take on a permanent job with all the perks of sick pay, paid holiday, etc etc.

Can you all keep the positive vibes going until 1st April for me?  

🙏