Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm finding the poster heartbreaking. I don't have it in me to believe it's going to go ahead, yet I can imagine enjoying a lot of those bands... 😭

Same boat as you. Perfect for my tastes. Praying for a miracle.

Being on the inside of the medical professional I have to be cautious what I write as I see the warnings on the inside which lots of you don't. When Boris says loved ones will be lost early he's not saying it for effect. Today Mrs Lycra had her first corona cases and we've now banned my parents from visiting us 😔

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah, definitely seems like a bit of a somber tone the more I read it 😞

If nothing else it was what lots of us needed to hear today, and whatever happens now, I'm grateful that they did it. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm finding the poster heartbreaking. I don't have it in me to believe it's going to go ahead, yet I can imagine enjoying a lot of those bands... 😭

I burst into tears when I saw it and what Emily wrote.

I've gone from option 2 to option 1 and I hate it.

They've just officially cancelled the Melbourne Grand Prix - as punters were lined up to go in! 

They didn't want to I think there's been massive pressure on them and drivers/teams pulling out. 

I think any decision to cancel could be out of the hands of the festival if artists start to drop out and travel bans continue.  I've gone from being no way will it be cancelled to uh oh, there'a a decent chance it will.  I'm worried I might not even get to the UK in June, let alone get to Glastonbury.

It's just so hard to trust what you read at the moment as there's so much conflicting info....it's no worse than the flu...it's 3 times more deadly than the flu...don't panic buy....stock up on non perishables!!!   One of our news sites today said 'Tom Hanks brings coronavirus to Australia' ....as if he's totally to blame!  The article doesn't say that but the headline suggests it and that's enough for some to start quoting that as fact.  He's been here weeks so must've contracted it here (apart from a quick trip back to the Oscars 6 weeks ago).  The article names every venue he's eaten at , drunk at  or visited since early Feb, even when he wouldn't have been a carrier....poor businesses!

Like Emily, for now, I'm proceeding on the basis that it will go ahead and still trying to bag an Oxfam volunteer spot for my husband (I have mine) and going for tickets in the resale.  Positive thoughts x x x 

Edited by nusha

I’ve got absolutely no basis for this and I’m the most analytical, sensible and pragmatic individual you will ever meet, but for some weird unknown reason I think against all odds it will go ahead.

Drug jokes aside, I’ve had the best times of my life at Glastonbury, almost like out of body spiritual experiences that I’ve never had anywhere else. I honestly think that somehow the energy of the place will prevail.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, nusha said:

They didn't want to I think there's been massive pressure on them and drivers/teams pulling out

Tremendous pressure. For all the doubt over the Uk public health advice regarding large events, it’s the same advice being given by the Australian authorities as well. It was always the worry for those of us with the “listen to the scientists” view that the type of panic that is causing individuals to go bulk buy toilet paper would be caught by governments and organizations in regard to cancelations. It should be noted that their seems to be plenty of dissenting scientific views (albeit usually people without qualifications in epidemiology), many who have been given a prominent run in our media.  Would not be surprised to see Australia buckle today and leave the Uk as the only nation holding that view. 

Needs some sort of miracle, some weird change that happens in the data at a certain point.

But Glastonbury is the miracle factory!

Can't get over how well South Korea are are doing though . . . . .

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah same. Poster was always going to be a tough one without a ticket, but as soon as I looked it and decided which names I'd see I shut it down and tried to put it out of my head. I don't even know whether to try the resale to be honest.

All that said, I'm more concerned in general about this virus now than I am about the festival. The press conference was really quite sobering.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Me too now. I was fairly confident, but I’ve just been out for a pint with a mate who’s a consultant cardiologist and what he told me was rather sobering. His normal workload (fitting pacemakers etc) has been cancelled for 3 months.The NHS are working on a worst case scenario that 80% of the population will get it (hopefully it won’t be near this, but it’ll be bad). Of those, 10% will need hospitalisation, and about 1% will die. Do, the maths - we are talking hundreds of thousands, potentially. It’ll peak after 3 months and then fall away fairly rapidly. I fear Glastonbury will fall too soon to survive, but then, it’ll seem a triviality compared with what’s happening.

The festival isn’t for three and a half months. Three and half months ago none of us had heard of Covid-19. In three and a half months China’s managed to hit its peak, bring the numbers back down, and is now starting to return to normality. There’s no reason to think we can’t do similar. Is it a worry for Glastonbury? Of course, but the doom and gloom surrounding this thread is mental. 

4 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

The festival isn’t for three and a half months. Three and half months ago none of us had heard of Covid-19. In three and a half months China’s managed to hit its peak, bring the numbers back down, and is now starting to return to normality. There’s no reason to think we can’t do similar. Is it a worry for Glastonbury? Of course, but the doom and gloom surrounding this thread is mental. 

Agreed, positive vibes only. Such a lot has happened in such a short period of time, Lana del Ray was announced pretty much a month ago and back then we didn’t have a care in the world as far as covid-19 is concerned. Fast forward two months from now and things could be completely different.

28 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

The post above yours says hundreds of thousands of deaths are possible from this - Glastonbury is probably going to be far down our worries soon. 

The latest article from a doctor is sobering:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-uk-doctor-nhs-hospital-symptoms-italy-china-a9397736.html

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The situation is accelerating as expected tbh. Your perception of it was changed when your PM made that announcement yesterday but the nhs still think 90% of cases will hit them before the end of April. The next few weeks will be ugly. You only need to look at Italy to see that. But at the moment we should be ok for glasto. We’ll still be dealing with this then but we’ll be over the crest of the hill. 

Edited by Madyaker

33 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

It’s not when you pay attention to people who know what they’re talking about, by which I mean scientists and epidemiologists. 

36 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Hopefully you’re right and the experts are wrong 

36 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The post above yours says hundreds of thousands of deaths are possible from this - Glastonbury is probably going to be far down our worries soon. 

The latest article from a doctor is sobering:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-uk-doctor-nhs-hospital-symptoms-italy-china-a9397736.html

I’m an ICU nurse, I absolutely agree with this article....I feel so annoyed at the constant ‘it’s a mild disease’ for most arguement.....there is SO much more to this, and this article pretty much sums it up.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON on this planet has a role to play in this,  we all need to be doing our best to reduce the spread....if you are young and healthy and low risk, think about those that are not....think about those who have to give up a lot to look after those who will get gravely ill.... think about families who are losing loved ones, think about people who are losing jobs and livelihoods.

I think the UK are on the precipice 🙁

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Lets acknowledge that that is absolute worst case modelling and not state it as fact yet though?