stuartbert two hats

Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

What's your best guess?   

1,011 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

As has been mentioned quite a bit I expect by June the point of social distancing may be kind of moot. It will most likely be wide spread by then and have little to no effect on spread.

At this point I think the question really comes down to if the emergency services have the capacity to cope with the staffing of the festival whilst everything else is going on and I would expect pressure from all corner to focus all our resources on fixing it and treating people rather than festivals. This is what worries me.. (as well as the obvious impending doom on the world of course) 

I was pretty positive before today but feel a bit disheartened now. 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think you actually read it all, did you...? :P 

Don't think some paid proper attention to Boris either, that was one of the worst messages from a politician I've ever heard, they usually try to put a positive spin on things but coming straight out with "many more families are going to lose loved ones" should tell you this is bad. The CMO didn't do the math on the worst case scenario but he gave the figures, 80% infection rate 1% overall mortality rate, that's half a million dead. Even if the figures are much better than that it's still very frightening. The peak is weeks away, no chance of Glastonbury happening.

1 minute ago, gizmoman said:

Don't think some paid proper attention to Boris either, that was one of the worst messages from a politician I've ever heard, they usually try to put a positive spin on things but coming straight out with "many more families are going to lose loved ones" should tell you this is bad. The CMO didn't do the math on the worst case scenario but he gave the figures, 80% infection rate 1% overall mortality rate, that's half a million dead. Even if the figures are much better than that it's still very frightening. The peak is weeks away, no chance of Glastonbury happening.

So because it was honesty and realistic it was a bad message? 

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

A Tweet from Hugo Gye, deputy editor of the i:

The govt approach to coronavirus is one of the most interesting social experiments of recent times. If it works: UK avoids shutting down the country, but suffers virus outbreak no worse than elsewhere. Masterstroke. If not: UK suffers 100s or 1000s of avoidable deaths.

to be honest, I think Boris let it slip with his "many more will lose loved ones" and "we will get through it" - the second bit being the economy will get through it. I think even with those avoidable deaths but a stronger economy than those shutting down they will see that as a win. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

It's called 'gallows humour'

gallows humour
/ɡaləʊz ˈhjuːmə/

noun

1. grim and ironic humour in a desperate or hopeless situation.

2 hours ago, Havors said:

You do know who the president is right?? 

I think its more of a case of not giving a flying fuck if he died as opposed to wishing him dead... 

Nah, we fucking hate him.

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

So because it was honesty and realistic it was a bad message? 

I'm not saying he shouldn't be honest just pointing out how bad the figures are looking, even with the measures in place.

Quite surreal over in Norway with the whole country going into shutdown for at least 2 weeks. Even more surreal to see the lack of action by the UK government. Can't see this ending with anything else than Glastonbury being cancelled, sadly. I was initially positive, but with the lack of action I can't see stuff like that going on as normal over the summer.

Nice and easy read here

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

2 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be honest just pointing out how bad the figures are looking, even with the measures in place.

Ahh okay my mistake, normally when I see 'that was bad, politician' is normally in hate/jest towards the individual. 

40 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

When do people (not you lot) think Italy’s peak will be?

That chocolate bit at the bottom of a Cornetto 

Britain going out on a limb and doing the direct opposite of what WHO advise.

Feels like we’ve gone with the shit or bust approach to try and get out the other side quicker than others from an economic point of view.

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

to be honest, I think Boris let it slip with his "many more will lose loved ones" and "we will get through it" - the second bit being the economy will get through it. I think even with those avoidable deaths but a stronger economy than those shutting down they will see that as a win. 

I do too, they'll try to spin it that way in a situation that will suit them. They hope that natural immunity will set in eventually and have calculated that this way will ultimately lead to less deaths than others that are shutting down at the same stage (or earlier). If this is the scientists actual advice then great, I really hope the experts aren't being ignored behind closed doors.

It doesn't look good at all and at this point I don't think it'll be happening.

I think anyone that is making big plans and/or thinking about forking out big cash for anything to do with Glasto should hold back for as long as possible. Or at the very least take out some sort of insurance, if it's even available now.

I'm guessing a lot of traders/performers/organisers will be thinking exactly the same.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but we do have a global pandemic on our hands.

So are we thinking that tonight's poster drop will be a case of 'here's what you could have won' then ? 

Ps I'm ticket less but still dreaming

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

It doesn't look good at all and at this point I don't think it'll be happening.

I think anyone that is making big plans and/or thinking about forking out big cash for anything to do with Glasto should hold back for as long as possible. Or at the very least take out some sort of insurance, if it's even available now.

I'm guessing a lot of traders/performers/organisers will be thinking exactly the same.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but we do have a global pandemic on our hands.

Little worrying that the UK peak is due to be around 3 weeks before Glastonbury, very short amount of time to get the all clear for festival prep and for any bands that are due to travel over to get sorted. It might just scrape through. Slam Dunk just released saying they are going until told they can't, its outdoors but smaller and I'm thinking that could get called off as it's directly in the peak time.

Just now, zico martin said:

So are we thinking that tonight's poster drop will be a case of 'here's what you could have won' then ? 

There is a poster drop?

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

Given the shit Cheltenham has had for going ahead this week I'd be extremely surprised if any poster came out until if and when things improve.

I have to say, this is perhaps the first day that I think it's more likely to be cancelled this year than not.

It's not so much the festival itself, as it is the coaches and trains which people need to get there and back. Hard to avoid close contact with people in those confined spaces. Also, if the festival will be near the peak period, possible shortages in police and healthcare personnel may make it harder to run the festival.

On the other hand...

The full text on instagram:

"So, after much consideration given the current circumstances, and with the best of intentions, here is the first list of musical acts for Glastonbury 2020.

As things stand we are still working hard to deliver our 50th anniversary Festival in June and we are very proud of the bill that we have put together over the last year or so. No one has a crystal ball to see exactly where we will all be 15 weeks from now, but we are keeping our fingers firmly crossed that it will be here at Worthy Farm for the greatest show on Earth!

As always this is just a taste of what is to come, we plan to announce many more artists and attractions, area by area, over the coming weeks leading up to the full line-up in May.

In the meantime we post this with much love to all. "

Edited by FrankieX
Adding instagram text.

This lineup is truly amazing. Who fucking knows if we'll get to experience it though...

1 minute ago, yehbutnobut said:

That was the most awkward poster to read ever. 

giphy.gif

There's a normal version in the new poster thread.